hum on passive humbucker

Reaction score
i have rg7421 2013 model with quantum pickups..there's a very loud hum when switching to bridge and center selector. i also own an rgr321ex 2011 model and when compared, theres no hum on all selectors. i already brought it to a guitar tech nearby and they werent able to fix the hum. they resolder the wires properly and cleaned the output jack..they also said they didnt see anything wrong with wiring. please help. the only shielded part is the cover itself.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The bridge (first) and middle (third) positions on the selector switch are the only two where the bridge humbucker is supposed to be humbucking. There's either an issue with how it's wired or a problem within the pickup itself.

Tap the pole pieces of the pickup with a screw driver while connected to an amp. Are both coils active? You should hear an audible "ping" through the amp when touching the poles with something metal. If it's silent, that coil isn't connected properly.

If you do get a "ping" from both coils, the pickup might be wired parallel opposed to series.

Additionally, the switch could be bad. The guts on these guitars are cheap and of questionable quality/consistency. I highly recommend just replacing the switch, pots, caps, and wiring. It should only be about $20 for all the parts and, aside from fixing the problem, can improve the sound of the guitar overall.

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
I’d like to know if touching the bridge, pickups, pot shafts (with knobs off) or switch lever (with plastic tip off) with your finger causes the hum to stop.

Reaction score
The bridge (first) and middle (third) positions on the selector switch are the only two where the bridge humbucker is supposed to be humbucking. There's either an issue with how it's wired or a problem within the pickup itself.

Tap the pole pieces of the pickup with a screw driver while connected to an amp. Are both coils active? You should hear an audible "ping" through the amp when touching the poles with something metal. If it's silent, that coil isn't connected properly.

If you do get a "ping" from both coils, the pickup might be wired parallel opposed to series.

Additionally, the switch could be bad. The guts on these guitars are cheap and of questionable quality/consistency. I highly recommend just replacing the switch, pots, caps, and wiring. It should only be about $20 for all the parts and, aside from fixing the problem, can improve the sound of the guitar overall.

im not exactly sure what you mean by ping or how it sounds but when i tapped it,it produced a tapping sound.. should the pickup be in series or parallel? forgive me i have no knowledge with how these things work.

Reaction score
I’d like to know if touching the bridge, pickups, pot shafts (with knobs off) or switch lever (with plastic tip off) with your finger causes the hum to stop.
no it doesnt stop. .i touched all metals parts and hum still doesnt go away

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
im not exactly sure what you mean by ping or how it sounds but when i tapped it,it produced a tapping sound.. should the pickup be in series or parallel? forgive me i have no knowledge with how these things work.

If both coils are active, then it's either improperly wired or broken. The pickup should be series wired.

It's hard to really fully diagnose without having the instrument at hand.

I still recommend replacing the electronics. It'll start you off with a [better] clean slate, assuming the replacement of parts is performed properly.

Reaction score
If both coils are active, then it's either improperly wired or broken. The pickup should be series wired.

It's hard to really fully diagnose without having the instrument at hand.

I still recommend replacing the electronics. It'll start you off with a [better] clean slate, assuming the replacement of parts is performed properly.

i wish i could send a link to my soundcloud acct that would best describe the noise im getting but this acct is limited since im a new member. lets assume that the coil is broken or improperly wired, can it be fixed or should i replace it with a new one?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
this is the link to my record using focusrite.. first 12 seconds is the neck selector going all the way down to bridge every f

i wish i could send a link to my soundcloud acct that would best describe the noise im getting but this acct is limited since im a new member. lets assume that the pickup is broken or improperly wired, can it be fixed or should i replace it with a new one?

Well, a new pickup won't help if the switch is wonky, but I don't think it's the switch, and replacing the pickup is only going to help if it's installed properly.

It really comes down to what you're comfortable with and how much time and money you want to put into the project.

If it was me, I'd grab a new pickup and electronics and replace it all.

Latest posts