Hunting thread

• Thread starter hilljack13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Since I posted my caribou mipku Inuit dried meat earlier, I got a huge craving for some... This southern BC urban Inuk decided to make some mipku. For my southern friends, that is what Inuit call dried meat.

I bought four Bison top sirloin steaks (bonus at half price each!) at Safeway today and spent the past half hour cutting them up into thin strips and added Back Eddy's seasoning salt for mipku. Bison sure is a tough meat to cut through with a freshly sharpened hunting knife!

I ran out of space on my drying racks for the last steak, oh well there's plenty of space on top of my BBQ outside haha I can't wait to enjoy bison mipku! I'll give em a day or two (if I can last two days without eating em lol) and I'll definitely save some for my daughter as well because she loves mipku just like me!

FB_IMG_1663376025932.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I have been hellbent on doing my own processing for years but never go around to getting a grinder. I didn't want to spend $500+ on a good one, even though the cost would have paid for itself by now, and I am too cheap to get a lesser grade. Now when I do any processing myself my back just about goes out on me. I have no option but to use a processor. Good ones are hard to find.

That's why I'm blessed by the gods that I go hunting with a dude who grew up working at the taxidermy that used to do all of Tom Selleck's stuff whenever he hunted in Texas.

But the problem with most processors is they do batch. So say me, you and Joe Blow all shot a deer that will give us all roughly 30 pounds of meat back, me and you both made great shots, prepped it all, for all infants and porpoises, great deer meat. But Joe Blow is one of those people who give hunters a bad name, gut shot their deer, strapped it on their hood with the guts still in it so it gets hot on the way to the taxidermy, and ruins his meet.

The way most places would process that, grind all that shit together, I get 30 pounds back, you get 30 pounds back, and Joe Blow gets 30 pounds back with his ruined meat fucking up out meat. And I process my deer the same way, but at the end of the day, the greatest producer in the world can't make a trve black metal recording sound good.

But especially with the way meat prices are these days, I very much recommend getting your own grinder.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
That's why I'm blessed by the gods that I go hunting with a dude who grew up working at the taxidermy that used to do all of Tom Selleck's stuff whenever he hunted in Texas.

But the problem with most processors is they do batch. So say me, you and Joe Blow all shot a deer that will give us all roughly 30 pounds of meat back, me and you both made great shots, prepped it all, for all infants and porpoises, great deer meat. But Joe Blow is one of those people who give hunters a bad name, gut shot their deer, strapped it on their hood with the guts still in it so it gets hot on the way to the taxidermy, and ruins his meet.

The way most places would process that, grind all that shit together, I get 30 pounds back, you get 30 pounds back, and Joe Blow gets 30 pounds back with his ruined meat fucking up out meat. And I process my deer the same way, but at the end of the day, the greatest producer in the world can't make a trve black metal recording sound good.

But especially with the way meat prices are these days, I very much recommend getting your own grinder.

You don't butcher your animals on the spot? Like why give the butchers a big cut of the meat when you can just butcher the entire animal yourself?

Inuit don't have a slaughterhouse where I'm from, from the moment the animals die, like caribou for instance, we butcher them on the spot of the kill site and we keep all of the meat.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
You don't butcher your animals on the spot? Like why give the butchers a big cut of the meat when you can just butcher the entire animal yourself?

Inuit don't have a slaughterhouse where I'm from, from the moment the animals die, like caribou for instance, we butcher them on the spot of the kill site and we keep all of the meat.

Not on the spot. We'll take a deer, take it back to camp, and skin, quarter it and put it on ice until we get home and that's where we finish processing it.

The only time we take meat to the taxidermy is when it seams like we're going to have a productive weekend, and we need to stick a deer in storage til someone can come back up with a free cooler. I have the opposite problem of an Inuit, most of my deer season is still shorts weather, so we have to try and get the meat on ice ASAP.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Not on the spot. We'll take a deer, take it back to camp, and skin, quarter it and put it on ice until we get home and that's where we finish processing it.

The only time we take meat to the taxidermy is when it seams like we're going to have a productive weekend, and we need to stick a deer in storage til someone can come back up with a free cooler. I have the opposite problem of an Inuit, most of my deer season is still shorts weather, so we have to try and get the meat on ice ASAP.
Ahh. Gotcha.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Ahh. Gotcha.

Ya, I was just trying to give the best example of why 9 times out of 10 getting your meat "processed" is just ruining it. It's not the processer's fault, you can only do so much with what you're given.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Ya, I was just trying to give the best example of why 9 times out of 10 getting your meat "processed" is just ruining it. It's not the processer's fault, you can only do so much with what you're given.
I see now. Also, Inuit means two or more people which is plural - Inuk is singular for just one Eskimo. And don't worry, the word Eskimo doesn't offend me, it has offended some Inuit people, but it's our known term around the world and being called an Eskimo is fine with me, because it's a Cree Indian word that means "eaters of raw meat" and yes, my people do eat raw meat, the tastiest is caribou meat when it's freshly harvested.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I visited my hometown last month for the first time in 13 years. Among the things I brought back was my modest inheritance, my grandmother's Stevens 107B 16ga breach loader. Old beast. Hard to find ammo for, but I found a few boxes at a pawn shop.

I've never owned a gun before. This one needs to be cleaned up before I do anything else with it, looking forward to learning about caring for it. I may refinish the wood at some point as well. Heading to the range with a couple friends next week. I've never been hunting but it's a skill I'd like to have.

910B2958-20AA-4937-8CFE-FA24E919FB6E.jpeg

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I've been hunting off and on since I was 4 or 5. I used to do a lot of whitetail hunting, but anymore I prefer to duck hunt and go after small game (mostly rabbits). I'm going on a pig hunt with some buddies down in texas later in the year.
I just did that, albeit casually but in full bushwack mode, down in OK. No luck this time.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Ehhhhh, I’ve worked and frequented lots of the processors. The ones that mix meat from different parties are not as common as it might seem. Maybe 1 in 3, tops.

I will say that even at the best processor, a dirty or improperly harvested animal drives up prices and return times through excess labor on our end.

hilljack13

Reaction score
I visited my hometown last month for the first time in 13 years. Among the things I brought back was my modest inheritance, my grandmother's Stevens 107B 16ga breach loader. Old beast. Hard to find ammo for, but I found a few boxes at a pawn shop.

I've never owned a gun before. This one needs to be cleaned up before I do anything else with it, looking forward to learning about caring for it. I may refinish the wood at some point as well. Heading to the range with a couple friends next week. I've never been hunting but it's a skill I'd like to have.

View attachment 114790
16 Ga are awesome. Not sure why we don't use more of them. 12 and 20 are the norm. My first deer was taken with and SKS and my second and many after with 16ga buckshot. Missed that gun :(

hilljack13

Reaction score
Many posts about processors. I had a great processor in middle GA. charged $12.50 per quarter. Yearling or mature deer you got the same price. Never paid more than $60 for deer. I like to keep the neck and tenders so doing a quartering is trivial. The folks I have used in AL are mixed. 1 doe cost me ~$110 and my buck (pic posted) at a different processor was ~$120. I have noticed that some meat is gray after thawing which is a big concern. Might consider getting my own grinder still. Cost wise it is a no brainier.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Looks like I’ll be back in the field again hunting soon.

My dad got news that if he doesn’t change his diet to game, fish, and greens exclusively, he has a year to live.

It’s gonna be highly motivated blacktail season around here.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Looks like I’ll be back in the field again hunting soon.

My dad got news that if he doesn’t change his diet to game, fish, and greens exclusively, he has a year to live.

It’s gonna be highly motivated blacktail season around here.

Hope all is well with your dad. Those are my favorite foods anyway so there's definitely worse news from my perspective.

Achilleion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

View attachment 114790
A friend of mine has the 12 ga. version of that, it kicks like a mule.

Achilleion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
16 Ga are awesome. Not sure why we don't use more of them. 12 and 20 are the norm. My first deer was taken with and SKS and my second and many after with 16ga buckshot. Missed that gun :(
I have a Romanian SKS that I got with my C&R, they're good shooters!

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the 12 ga. version of that, it kicks like a mule.

Yes it does hahaha I was a little afraid of it at first but have gotten the hang of it. Got some pretty good bruises figuring out how to tuck it in.

My two brothers got grandpa's M1 and grandpa's 12ga respectively. Unsure on the 12ga. model but a similar age and much more forgiving to fire than the 16.

The ejector spring is sticky on it, doesn't always pop the spent shell out. Planning to take it apart and clean everything up this weekend. It sat around in a very humid environment for close to the last decade, def needs some TLC.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Yes it does hahaha I was a little afraid of it at first but have gotten the hang of it. Got some pretty good bruises figuring out how to tuck it in.

My two brothers got grandpa's M1 and grandpa's 12ga respectively. Unsure on the 12ga. model but a similar age and much more forgiving to fire than the 16.

The ejector spring is sticky on it, doesn't always pop the spent shell out. Planning to take it apart and clean everything up this weekend. It sat around in a very humid environment for close to the last decade, def needs some TLC.
My first shotgun was a breach 20ga. It kicks like a bastard too. Fun to shoot still though!

Achilleion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Single shot and double barrel models always kick more, I had a side by side 10 ga. that was brutal, I sold it to an ex Boston Bruin/LA King, and he wanted to sell it back after shooting it.

Latest posts

')