Hybrid theory is a really middle of the road

• Thread starter Veldar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm not a LP fan. I know the singles and always though it was just a super watered down version of the other nu metal bands and then kinda generic radio rock as they went on.

My Fiancee is really into them and surprised I'd never heard then before, so I said I'd give it a go.

It's just really generic? If you gave me discount korn and said put some triphop loops over it you'd get this album. There's a straight up deftones riff ape on one of the tracks.

It's at its most interesting when they just commit to it being a triphop song but even then all the lyrics are the typical "better get away I'm krazy!" edgy late 90s faff.

How did they become so big off that album 😅

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Who else was doing it exactly how they were when they broke?

If theres 20 years between them blowing up and you checking them out, thats 20 years of other stuff citing them as inspirations.

They were young and upset. Then they were young and paid. The next album lost a lot of the fire they had lit sonically but made them more famous and more palatable.

The comparison to Korn doesnt really work when they sound that far apart :lol:.

Its ok to say you dont like nu metal. Lead with that :lol:.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
“All screamo sounds the same” will be the next thread.

OP did nail it that they watered down on subsequent releases. They get paid, they are set, I dont blame them :lol: but it did make me look for heavier music so a win for all.

Moongrum

Reaction score
It's just really generic? If you gave me discount korn and said put some triphop loops over it you'd get this album. There's a straight up deftones riff ape on one of the tracks.
I think you're missing a lot of historical and cultural context. Me being 12 in the USA, I had no idea who Deftones (I don't think I ever heard them on the radio as a kid...) were and the only song I heard of Korn was Freak on a leash which wasn't melodic to my young radio listening brain. Hybrid Theory was great because it was edgy and heavy enough for a kid like me who's only musical exposure was radio and TRL.

I've honestly have not thought about that album for 19 years, though. I didn't even know people still thought about it, and so many years later for someone to say, "I don't get it" is hilarious to me:lol:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
The comparison to Korn doesnt really work when they sound that far apart :lol:.

Its ok to say you dont like nu metal. Lead with that :lol:.

Chester's vocal sound so much like Jonathan Davis, same barky scream going on.

I liked heaps of the nu metal stuff, I can understand why a Slipknot or SOAD got a career out of taking the playback of the time and adding their thing to it. But LP was so milquetoast.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Chester's vocal sound so much like Jonathan Davis, same barky scream going on.

I liked heaps of the nu metal stuff, I can understand why a Slipknot or SOAD got a career out of taking the playback of the time and adding their thing to it. But LP was so milquetoast.
In what world does Chester sound like Jonathan?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Sometimes people will go on the internet and make threads about "I don't like this thing that's incredibly popular. I should tell everyone so they know how wrong they are for liking this thing that tons of people like. Once the people realize how wrong they were about liking this very popular thing, they will thank me. Sincerely, stop liking things I don't like"

Next time you type out something like this, hit delete and go to bed instead

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't consider them nu metal at all. I was NOT a fan of new metal, but totally dug these guys when this album dropped. Context is everything, though. I mean, I have a hard time getting excited over Elvis, or seeing Ozzy Osbourne as a threat to the future of America. But I'm sure it was a different story at the time.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Sometimes people will go on the internet and make threads about "I don't like this thing that's incredibly popular. I should tell everyone so they know how wrong they are for liking this thing that tons of people like. Once the people realize how wrong they were about liking this very popular thing, they will thank me. Sincerely, stop liking things I don't like"

Next time you type out something like this, hit delete and go to bed instead
this one really stands out for being so far after the fact

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
You had to be there (not that I know where you were then). In Europe, in 2000, Linkin Park were fucking massive. I think at one point they had 3 or 4 songs in the charts simultaneously in Germany. They were everywhere. They would play Linkin Park in the local night club at the time! They were never my favourite band by any means and it was downhill after Hybrid Theory, but it was nice to see a metal band find that level of success and it did result in other bands getting the rub.

SOAD weren't that well known at the time and really became popular with Toxicity a year later. But not anywhere anywhere near the level of LP. And Korn? I never heard much of them on the radio or MTV by comparison. They seemed more popular in the US from my perspective at least.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I'm going to play devils advocate here and also say I never got the hype for Linkin Park, but I also am able to say I just didn't like the majority of nu metal. Some was okay, like Mudvayne and Slipknot, but it didn't have too much depth to it.

')