Hybrid theory is a really middle of the road

• Thread starter Veldar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
That album is the best selling debut album of the 21st century according to a lot of sources and may go on to become the best selling debut album of all time possibly. It has sold 30 million worldwide. To say they only became "legendary" because of Chesters death is pretty insane. Their last album, 3 months or so before his death, debuted at #1. They were already well cemented as a huge band long before that. The have 7 albums and 6 of them went to #1. Citing their Wiki it says they have been nominated for 197 different awards in the music industry (Grammys, AMAs, various global MTV awards, Billboard Awards, NME, etc) and have won 69 of them. Unreal! They've sold over 100 million records collectively. I don't see how you can say anything about the death of Chester being the only reason they are held in such high regards. Sorry, that's just a total BS take.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

Toejam

Reaction score
Hybrid Theory was great, and the only thing from LP I own. They lost me after that.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anybody know when LP is gonna release a greatest hits album? Maybe a double greatest hits? Me and my 12 yr old son need that.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Chester's vocal sound so much like Jonathan Davis, same barky scream going on.

I liked heaps of the nu metal stuff, I can understand why a Slipknot or SOAD got a career out of taking the playback of the time and adding their thing to it. But LP was so milquetoast.

This. This is why I come to the internet.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone that isn’t on the LP hype train yet…

The infamous 17 second scream:

One of the hardest vocals of all time:

This is one of the “heaviest”, saddest songs of all time. A song about suicide where the video was posthumously released after the singer committed suicide, just months after his friend (Chris Cornell) committed suicide.

One of my fav concerts of all time. The last song (99 Problems) is the highlight for me.

I loved Nu Metal at the time and still do tbh, but at the time I really didn't like LP or Hybrid Theory as it was Nu Metal-pop lite to me, when I was listening to Korn, Deftones or Coal Chamber and the like, wasn't till years later I got in to it and in particular the Reanimation remix album, that's a rare example of a remix/reimagined version of an album being as good as if not better than the original

I wore that Points of Authority version out.

Last edited:

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I loved the first two albums. I really liked the Jay-Z remixes. They had released stuff here and there a few years later that I liked, but out of everything I'd heard in their entire discography, whether I liked it or not, I don't know that I can call any of it "bad." I think a lot of people kept wanting them to get back to their earlier days and when they didn't, well... let's just say that Metallica has a lot in common with Linkin Park in that regard. I'll defend those first two albums HT and Meteora to the death, though.

And Chester sounding like Jon Davis? Not even from a fetus' warbled and garbled perspective on what they sound like could anyone make that distinction that have heard the two.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Hunting party is fucking fire. I had to mature a bit as a human bean but eventually I caught on that good music is good music. Every LP album is fuegisimo.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
How do I cut a check to someone to delete this thread? OP’s personal opinion while not illegal, is so wrong that the gravity of that statement caused black hole appeared in front of me and sucked in my phone. I had to get on a computer and type this like it was 2004.

😅 Sure, buy me last Veldar album off bandcamp and I'll delete the whole thread.

I find it really interesting that they were a gateway band for so many people, but I'm younger than the median SSO poster and I'm not a yank either.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
😅 Sure, buy me last Veldar album off bandcamp and I'll delete the whole thread.

I find it really interesting that they were a gateway band for so many people, but I'm younger than the median SSO poster and I'm not a yank either.

Velderamma, the only way I can try to explain the impact of this album is by adding context.

If you listen to this album today for the first time as a newcomer/youngster like yourself then it may sound somewhat “safe” or “old” or whatever combination of words that make it seem like it sounds like “everything else”.

Well the reason it does is because it affected EVERYTHING that came out after it. If you go back and listen to that album and compare it to what was mainstream popular at that time, not just on alternative/rock stations. Then you’ll see that no one was doing “heavy metal” (I know it’s nu-metal but mainstream audiences don’t know that) with such high production qualities. No one was combing rap and rock and doing both so well with such catchy songwriting.

It was able to put nu-metal as a whole on the map because of just how good it sounded. And then EVERYONE wanted to sound like this. They brought in synths, dj effects. Samples and they did it like pros.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Velderamma, the only way I can try to explain the impact of this album is by adding context.

If you listen to this album today for the first time as a newcomer/youngster like yourself then it may sound somewhat “safe” or “old” or whatever combination of words that make it seem like it sounds like “everything else”.

Well the reason it does is because it affected EVERYTHING that came out after it. If you go back and listen to that album and compare it to what was mainstream popular at that time, not just on alternative/rock stations. Then you’ll see that no one was doing “heavy metal” (I know it’s nu-metal but mainstream audiences don’t know that) with such high production qualities. No one was combing rap and rock and doing both so well with such catchy songwriting.

It was able to put nu-metal as a whole on the map because of just how good it sounded. And then EVERYONE wanted to sound like this. They brought in synths, dj effects. Samples and they did it like pros.
Yep. It's like saying Michael Jackson was generic when he spearheaded what pop became for decades, or to be closer to this forum, saying August Burns Red is derivative when basically every metalcore band for 15 years after thrill seeker was just copying them.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Just dropping to echo the same sentiment that many others have stated.

Linkin Park was an entryway into heavier music. Full Stop.

If it wasn't for my sister bringing the album home from college and subsequently buying me a copy, I wouldn't have had the attention span to try to listen to progressively heavier and more experimental music. Years later while I was in college, I was listening to Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, and Dark Tranquility while laughing my ass off at Metalocalypse.

Yes, my preference for them changed over the years, but there is no denying they had an indelible impact and truly were able to bring on listeners of SEVERAL genres. These guys were also fantastic people. Having seen them just hang with everyone from Jay-Z to Korn to Deftones to ORGY, they were non-selective about their influences and their company - a true lesson that anyone in these internet-echo chamber days can do well to learn.

neurosis

Reaction score
I'm just going to put this here in case fans haven't seen it. I was shocked how the 4k remastered video looked. People were all like "what, his hair was blue?".

when this was released our TV was the size of an oven and gave off the same amount of heat. I remember watching this in August like the sun was in the living room.

Can't say I am a fan of this band although I like many of the singles and listened heavily to Meteora when it came out. I never kept track of what they were doing. But I did see them open for Deftones in Europe early on and people were losing their mind. I think they are very talented and it showed from the start. They may have caught the wave and fit with the soundscape at the time but are also one of the few bands to really grow out of the NuMetal label, making a versatile career out of it. From record to record they sound like the same band trying new things. While their stuff is not for me it shows integrity and commitment to their work.

Latest posts

')