I can't believe I'm saying this...

WillingWell

Reaction score
But I think I am desiring a guitar with a thicker neck. :ugh:

Pretty much since I've been into guitar seriously I've always been getting thin-necked guitars until I hit pretty much the pinnacle of thin necks, the JEM DBK. That neck was too thin for sure. Couldn't hold up to the weather or temperature change.

Anyway, right now I have my JP7 and my OLP JP6. I love my JP7 with a passion not unlike that of Shakespearean romance but I notice when playing on the lower strings (the 6 and 7 mainly) especially towards the lower part of the neck (i.e. the headstock side) my hand gets fatigued, and that's pretty unusual for me. Now my OLP is still pretty farkin' thin, but it's more rounded, it's sort of squished into a D-shape. That's an improvement, but still not quite what's super comfortable for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love thin necks and the JP plays like buttah, but I think the most comfortable neck for me is the ESP Thin U neck, like on the Alexi 600 and such. Problem is I loathe painted necks and don't want to sand one. I also found the neck on the Gibson Explorer (note Gibson, the Epi necks are thicker) pretty comfortable too. I also enjoyed the profile of the RG7321 though as well.

So basically, what does that translate to for a guitar? What necks would be similar to what I'm looking for? The Schecters I've played like the C7+, Omen and Blackjack all have uncomfortably large necks on the 7s. So please aid me with your knowledge, duders.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WillingWell

Reaction score
The SZ is an example of what I don't like. It's like a Schecter. I'm more leaning towards the U shape, like ESPs.

Also custom is out of the question.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
The neck on the Loomis isn't as thick as the one on my Blackjack. It's really comfortable and plays like a dream. The finish on the back of the neck feels great and isn't an issue at all.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
KxK? He'll build you whatever neck thickness you like. I sent him the specs for a Hellraiser neck so he could put a thick neck on my 2 in the works :lol:

WillingWell

Reaction score
Yeah, I just think I want to keep my price limit around like $1000 or lower, preferably. I'm still unsure of whether I'll grab a 7 or 6 next. Those Hellraiser 7s with a Floyd Rose look mighty tempting though.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecters are great. I think people over exaggerate the thickness/wideness personally, but that's just me. I know you wouldn't be disappointed with a Loomis model or Hellraiser for that matter.

Maybe check out the Agiles too ;)

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. The Schecter is thicker and wider than the Agile by a little bit. If you're looking for that little bit of an extra step up, I also believe that Agile may be best. The Schecter might be juuuuuust too much. But you never know until you try a Schecter that you're interested in. Then you can base your judgment off of that.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
carvin?

the ones i've played had thinner necks than my schecter 007, but i haven't played too many ibanez seven necks.

i've constantly heard it is thinner than shecter and thicker than ibanez necks.

WillingWell

Reaction score
Yeah, Carvins are tasty. I'm still liking that Hellraiser FR7 a lot too, unfortuantely not a lot to try around here which sucks majorly.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
thicker or thinner neck - it depends also from fretting hand technique. I use classical way witch my left hand and thickness isn't so really important then imo.