I cant go back to sixers, but alot of you guys do...

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys, i noticed that many of you still mention your sixers and sixers your gassin for, i dont feel comfortable going back to a sixer, i like playing my acoustic but it has nylon strings so its a whole different feel anyway, i'v sold off all my sixers except my les paul, mostly for centimentality, but sevens suit me just right, i'm not trying to be negative what so ever, but i was just curious how many of you guys still play your sixers, or if many just play your 7's exclusivly

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I play my six string more then I play my seven string, just because it sounds better through my amp. If my 7 string had the same tone as my 6, which it should when my 81-7 gets in, then I will be playing it much more.. it also needs much heavier strings. Or a baritone scale length, and to be neck through :D

I still do love 7s though, but I don't find the 7th string to be that big of an advantage unless I feel like playing in really lows tunings, otherwise I'll just rock on my 6 string and deal with the three or four steps I am missing off my top end.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
All my guitars are in different tunings, so I play them to get a different sound :shrug:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i have a fretless 6, but i hardly ever play it. i wish it had another string. My UV & S7 get most of my attention anymore.

I basicalyl bought the 6er cause no one makes fretless 7s, and i wanted to try fretless. before that, i hadn't owned a 6 string guitar in about 2 years.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
I mostly use my tele for jazz and punk stuff. Everything else is usually with my Schecter. I just happen to not have much of anything besides jazz and punk going on lately:lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I play my seven 95% of the time I play my guitar. I play my Les Paul about two times a month and, although I love that guitar, the fact that it's lacking a string prevents me from even using it in an original band (I could use it in a tribute band or something, but not something with original music). The entire range of the sevenstring has become integral to my "sound" and the extra 4th interval is another important part of my sound.

I don't plan on ever buying another six-string again, but if I happen to find one that I absolutely love and really really want, I might buy one.

But currently, band situation is 100% sevenstring. Playing at home is 95% sevenstring.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have all sevens, but I do still want a nice sunburst strat with a maple board :yesway:

Of course I may have somebody build me a seven string strat with that description :lol:

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I play mostly 7's here myself. I actually own more 6's though, which is why I'm trying to sell most of them, and buy more 7's. :yesway:

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
I think there is just more variety with 6'ers. More companies, more models. I think most of us learned on a 6 string. I still have my first...Don't think I'll ever part with it. Variety is good. And like someone else said, the tone on each of my guitars is different. Nice to keep it fresh in looking for tones.

LilithXShred

Mah Kitteh doez Coke
Reaction score
My 6 doesn't really get that much of attention. Playing 6 six string feels kinda limiting to me. When i play a 6 i miss the Low B and when a play a baritone 6 I miss the high e. I could use another tuning on my 6 string, but to be honest..... i think my fretboard orientation would never forgive me, i'm way to slow when it comes to adapt different tunings :D

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
My 6ers do a lot more dust collecting than anything else, but I do enjoy going back to them from time to time, especially my acoustic. I actually like to use my CAPO on my acoustic a lot, usually on the 3rd or 5th fret. It's just a really nice change of pace from the mega-detuned heaviness that's prevalent in most of what I do. Almost every one of my guitars is in a different tuning, and the 6 stringers just have a different sound and feel to them. It's kind of like visiting an old friend, even though you've moved and found better, more awesome friends. It just depends on my mood and what I'm doing I guess.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I've only touched sixes when my guitar players need help writing songs (cause they are lame and wont try 7s :/). I've pretty much moved completely to 7s. Selling my 6s soon to probably get some pickups for my 7s.

Reaction score
I play my 7 almost exclusively.
I still have 2 sixes that I use to record songs that are in different tunings, but the difference in build quality/playability is so big that I keep going back to the 7.

It is nice to pick up a 6 once in a while though.

Prometheus

Oh no, no you don't!
Reaction score
I got my 7 about a month ago, and since then, I reckon I've played my electric 6string for all of 5 minutes :) It just feels WEIRD. And I just miss the low Bb, way too much fun to play without it. Not to mention that the neck on my 6 feels like a toothpick now. I'm not going to sell it, because I still play with a bunch of mates who all tune to E, and it's fun to jam along. But for my own stuff, I don't envision myself going back to 6's.

Although, I play my acoustics quite alot, but as someone else said, they feel different anyway.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
For electric I only play my 7, 9 or 10 strings. But I use a 6 to teach, and all my acoustics are 6 - but I'm workin' on that. :spock:

Reactions: XEN

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
For electric I only play my 7, 9 or 10 strings. But I use a 6 to teach, and all my acoustics are 6 - but I'm workin' on that. :spock:

I need to subscribe to your newsletter man! I swear we're on the same wavelength.

All my guitars are in different tunings, so I play them to get a different sound :shrug:

Amen to that! I just dropped my baritone 7 to low E "standard" :evil: , my Steinberger is locked at C# standard, my WG587 alternates between B standard, A standard, and all 4ths, and my Wechter acoustic is in D standard. Once the 10 is in it will be time for me to secure an 8 or two, and then work toward a 5ths tuned 7, an acoustic 10, a 12 (8+4 doubled), and another electric 10.

Lately when I practice I end up playing all 3 of my electrics almost equally. I refuse to be locked in to a set number of strings. Sure, when the 10 is done I will be spending all kinds of time with it, but I will continue to play all of my other guitars as well. Each one serves its purpose and inspires me in its own way.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I sold my only sixer after I got my seven and I haven't missed it one bit. A sevenstring just feels more comfortable and natural for me. And it doesn't hurt that the Ibanez is a vastly superior guitar compared to my old LTD. :) When I play sixers (even high quality ones) I just can't get into it.

')