I cant stand playing 6 strings.

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
for me it's more about the width of the fretboard, the 7's just fit my hand better, but a 6-string classical guitar neck fits pretty comfortably too, and only takes a few minutes of noodling to get used to the string spacing

now if only an affordable 7-string classical existed, that would be sweet

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never really understood this, I can play my 6/7/8 all equally fine :shrug: I can see if you find it lacking in the tonal range as "Well, I want to have that extra B in there for notes" or something but where it's "the neck just feels like a toy" maybe that's just cause you're used to 7's? I know when I pick up my Gibson it feels like a quality instrument regardless of how much money it cost or the number of strings.

:agreed: I never understood the "I can't play sixes anymore" mentality. Of course my only six string has the same nut width as my seven so it doesn't "feel" too different to switch between them.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I don't play sevens because I really don't have a use for that 7th string but the few I have sat down with didn't feel any different then a 6 string besides having to reach around another string which was hardly noticeable.

Maybe I'm just strange though.

Masadar

Reaction score
I used to have a hellraiser as my only 7 but ended up having to sell it and havent been able to replace it since:wallbash: playing six strings totally fucking blows BUT if its all you got atleast its something cuz i know when i dont have ANYTHING to jam on even a bass around i go totally fucking CRAZY:scream::scream:

Demonsev7en

SS's Main-Midlander!
Reaction score
Kinda the same here, not so much anymore, i just kinda had to re learn fast picking on a 6 after 2 months of solid 7 :p

I like BIG necks on 6's anyway, so it wasn't so bad for me :)

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I still like 6's better for playing in drop C.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I won't be buying anymore 6 strings tbh. The only 6 string I've ever really loved was my Fender MiM olympic white strat with a maple fretboard. Now I tend to buy them, not get on with them and sell them. I sold my RG2228 too, as far as I'm concerned 8 strings are not the future until someone starts selling a production 8 with fanned frets. If custom guitars wern't such a rip I'd have one made, but when I consider that for the cost of a custom guitar I could buy two or even 3 used motorbikes in good condition, or one very high spec used bike it just never seems justifiable.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
I switch back from 6 to 7s all the time. I prefer the feel of my 7s neck over a 6 anyday, but sometimes I don't need the 7th string there - Like playing AIC covers.

Kheros

Seasons Change
Reaction score
I can play both, but I definitely prefer 7s. Now when I play 6s I feel like I'm missing half of the guitar, and then it's just too uncomfortable for me to play anything properly. I really don't plan on buying anymore 6s unless it's just to collect them.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I couldn't go without my 6 strings, but 7s definately feel more natural to play.

B36arin

Reaction score
I love both and I play both, I don't really have a favourite. Sevens are brilliant for some stuff, while I prefer sixes for other stuff.

Deadfall

Reaction score
I can feel that man..my main axe was a kramer baretta for years and years.THen I got my 7620 and kinda lost love for the thing.I do still play 6 strings,but only when I'm playing my breedlove.Been seriously considering investing in a 7 string classical.But it seems,you,like me,have fallen prey to the sweetness that is an Ibanez neck good sir.Revel in it ;)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember when I got my 7 string, I didn't pick up a 6 string for 3 months.
When I played my 6 again cos my 7 was out of commission due to needing a soldering job, my playing was really horrible. I just couldn't get used to it.
However I started to play my 6 string more regularly, about twice a week or so and it's fine now. I even prefer it for drop D and certain riffs using the open E string are easier too.

Makelele

Reaction score
I mostly play my 6-string these days, just because it's the best playing guitar ever.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
I do not own a 6 string that I haven't smashed, put through a wall, or ripped apart for the name of science.

I'm a huge John Hiatt fan. Let's see if you kids know what I'm talking about :lol:

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
I love Metal music for the low brutal sound. Seven's just sound better to my Metal ears. After playing a seven for about 5 years now, alot of the music i have written cant be played on a six string guitar. Every time i pick up a six stringer, it just feels pussy! I notice after playing a sevenstring tuned to G for a while now, When i pick up a six string guitar i have really good speed with everything being tighter and smaller.......but the crushing palm muted chunk just isnt there! Cant ever go back to a six string! :evil:

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
i've been playing 7's for over a year now and in all honesty i can switch in between the 6 and 7 without any problems in spacing or anything. I've never managed to keep going down after the 6th hoping for a 7th either...!!!BUT!!!

in all honesty i still prefer 7, i play on my 6 maybe once a month to learn TBDM songs so its always in C standard but other than that i never use it.
I find the 7 string to have better feel, better tone all round, and playing on it just feels better in my hand and head.

So its more of a preference i guess, but i know what people mean by the puny neck definitely :)

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I really dont have any problem from switching from 7 to 6 string guitars. For the most part though I rarely even touch my 6 strings nowadays (except for the acoustic). When i do recordings I generally use the 6 for clean stuff, and sometimes solos.

')