I cant stand playing 6 strings.

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

t3sser4ct

Reaction score
I guess I'm the odd man out in this thread. I've only been playing sevens for a few years, and I do prefer 7 strings over 6, but when I switch back to a 6-string, it's ridiculously easy to play. Of course, I can get a lot more out of a 7-string, but going from 7 to 6 is like taking off training weights, and I love that feeling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dexmix

enginerd
Reaction score
i love the way my 7 string feels... and i can go back and forth between the 6 and 7 easily, cause the string spacing and scale is the same. I still find myself playing my down tuned 6 more then anything.
*shrugs*

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Personally, I love 6 strings as well. I treat 6's and 7's almost as different instruments. I should have a 27" KxK in the next week or so, so that'll make my 25.5 Ibby feel even more foreign in comparison. You can really grab the neck and get to business on a 25.5" or less 6 stringer.

shredfreak

Reaction score
Haven't played 6'es in a long time now and frankly, they just feel weird. Just like somethings missing. Main problem i have is the low B string missing & neck dimensions.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
I love my 6 string. But it's a 28" scale tuned to F.

All 6 strings are wound. Maximum pwnage. :tmm:

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
I guess I'm the odd man out in this thread. I've only been playing sevens for a few years, and I do prefer 7 strings over 6, but when I switch back to a 6-string, it's ridiculously easy to play. Of course, I can get a lot more out of a 7-string, but going from 7 to 6 is like taking off training weights, and I love that feeling.

You are not alone on that one. I also have no problem going from 6 to 7 whatsoever. I like them both a lot. I like 7's tuned to B standard and A standard. I like 6's tuned to C standard. :yesway:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've been writing doom metal on my Kramer (the one that I set on fire) and couldn't be happier

I wonder how things will change once Larry the Intrepid is back up and running :ugh:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ive actually been playing 7 strings since I got my 7620 new in '98. I picked up a EBMM 6 string yesterday and tried to play it but couldnt. Not only was I missing the low string but the string spacing was far too wide and the neck felt puny on the 6 string. Maybe I am used to the 7 string neck and sound but I will never play 6 strings again. I can play any 7 string neck all the same but 6 string necks suck IMHO compared to 7 strings string spacing and overall feel. Anyone else feel this way?

I too, have been playing 7s since '98 as well and I felt the same way back then but even now to this day, playing a six feels different and I get bored without having that extra string. :agreed:

Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't enjoy playing 6s anymore either. Even when I play songs that only use the bottom 6, I prefer the feel of the 7 string neck. I had a guy tell me that once about 6 years ago before I started using 7s, and I thought he was crazy. Turns out he was 100% right!

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
When a play power chords or long scales on my 6`s sometimes I put my fingers beyond the low E, in the air.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't enjoy playing 6s anymore either. Even when I play songs that only use the bottom 6, I prefer the feel of the 7 string neck. I had a guy tell me that once about 6 years ago before I started using 7s, and I thought he was crazy. Turns out he was 100% right!

I've always preferred the 7 string neck so I'm right there with you.

Reaction score
I play both, but when I'm in rock or metal bands alot of the bands I used to be in wanted me to only play my 6 string. So I would have to just use my 6-string. Sometimes the low b isn't needed, but I like having the option. And they didn't see it that way. They would tell that "we already have a bass player".:wallbash:

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I can't play 7s. I used to but then I went back to 6. On Sunday I played a 7 for the first time in months and it just felt horrible. The neck was too wide, my hands were cramping up, I physically could not play it. If I ever feel the need to go down to B (I'll never go any lower), I'll get a baritone.

Reaction score
I played a PRS for the first time in my life today, and all I could think was "Why the hell don't they make this in a 7?" When I play a six these days I feel confined and cramped. Absolutely with 100% confidence, will not buy a 6 again.

')