I cant stand playing 6 strings.

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

minusthemonkey

Reaction score
After playing a seven on a regular basis, picking u a sixer makes me feel like I have banana hands. It feels kind of like I'm playing a child's toy or something. Still fun though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rhoads18

Reaction score
Yeah, my least favourite thing about 6 strings is how darn thin the necks are. Only 6 string I really enjoy playing is my classical guitar as its neck is very wide. If I get an extended range guitar it will probably be an 8 or 9 string.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
Ew, 7-string string-spacing is thinner than on a 6? I can barely fit my fingers in-between the strings as it is.

You have just killed any desire for me to ever even look at a seven again in my life!

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
most bridges are built in fender spacing style, 10-11 mm, 6, 7, or 8 strings. is the same thing, the thread is about the feel on the neck,not the right hand at the bridge.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
MaKo´s Tethan;1840819 said:
most bridges are built in fender spacing style, 10-11 mm, 6, 7, or 8 strings. is the same thing, the thread is about the feel on the neck,not the right hand at the bridge.
Well I am talking about the string spacing at the nut seeing as how I play with a pick.

I have calculated that the string spacing at the nut is around 7mm on a 6 and 6mm on a 7 (on average).

I have particularly large fingertips, so every bit of string spacing counts.

P.S. I imagine most of you mostly play five and eight chords (no offense), so a few muted strings are not a big deal at all to you.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I don't quite have your situations, but I can relate.
The only guitar I play all the time is tuned in fifths, and although I can play a normally tuned guitar just fine, I really miss the extra range and unique voicing options a fifths tuning gives me. I just don't like playing guitars in standard tuning anymore.

Last edited:

BLACKFOX86

Reaction score
7 strings should be the new standard! :yesway:

Not too much, not too little, just perfect...

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I switch between the two without any problems to be honest.

7Strings for 1-2 bands I do, 6strings for the bands where the extra range isn't necessary (plus, seeing as all their music is written on a 6, it makes no sense playing a 7 live as the strings just gets in the way and would never get used)

So, pretty much different tools for different jobs really. I like playing 6strings and 7's, just depends what I'm playing!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I switch between the two without any problems to be honest.

7Strings for 1-2 bands I do, 6strings for the bands where the extra range isn't necessary (plus, seeing as all their music is written on a 6, it makes no sense playing a 7 live as the strings just gets in the way and would never get used)

So, pretty much different tools for different jobs really. I like playing 6strings and 7's, just depends what I'm playing!

Heathen! :lol:

I kid, although it is true that in my case 6's feel almost uncomfortable, and the loss of voicings is strange to say the least, especially when improvising leads or extending chord voicings. I haven't become unable to cope with 6 strings, yet habit makes me prefer using them in all contexts (especially since I have a versatile enough assortment of 7's).

avenger

Reaction score
I feel like I can break my 6 stringers necks off after playing the 7 for awhile. That said I am selling my 6s to get another 7/pickups. I figure anything I can do on a 6 I can do on a 7 anyways + brootalz. :lol:

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I have three 6's, one 7, a 4 string and a 6 string bass :hbang:... i guess i have just adapted to each... but after playing my 7 or the 6 string bass, i do notice it takes a minute to get the fretting hand back on my 6's accurately:shred:.

The ONLY positive thing I can tell is that i move A LOT quicker on my 6's now... and all of them are for dropped tunings... i keep my seven in a standard with a drop A... Now I'll have to see how things go when i get my 8 string!!! HAHAHAHAHA:evil:

ellengtrgrl

Reaction score
I do not own a 6 string that I haven't smashed, put through a wall, or ripped apart for the name of science.

I'm a huge John Hiatt fan. Let's see if you kids know what I'm talking about :lol:

Nice try!! :D I remember when that song came out ("Perfectly Good Guitar"). We briefly considered doing it, in a band I was in at the time.

I posted a thread similar to this thread a few months ago ("ERGs - Once You Play Them, You Can't Go Back? Your Thoughts")
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...play-them-you-cant-go-back-your-thoughts.html

At the time, I was feeling the same way (like 6-strings were toys compared to the DeArmond Sevenstar I had at the time, and the Schecter Omen Extreme 7, I bought while the thread was still active). 7s are great (besides doing the chuggy djent and death metal stuff on the 3 lowest strings [which gets kind of old for me after a while - I like to mix it up on my 7], I can play huge sounding chords, and single note lines with big intervals). But good points were made in my thread, about 6-strings having their place. As a result, I still play 6-strings, when they fit the music. There are some things 6s are better at than 7s , such as Dropped D tuned songs. It was weird at first for me to switch back and forth between my 7-string, and my 6-string. But I got used to doing so over time. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting something that is diametrically opposed soundwise, to my 7, for some more sound variety - a Fender Esquire!

I still prefer my 7-string for playing (LOVE the extended pitch range), but a 6-string is nice for a little variety (even if the neck does feel dinky after playing Cherry [for black cherryburst], my Schecter 7-string).

guitar4tw

Reaction score
There is definitely room for six string guitars, but I like the feel of sevens more. When I grab for a guitar to play, it's a seven 90% of the time.

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
Well I am talking about the string spacing at the nut seeing as how I play with a pick.
oh, I understand, sorry, I misunderstood your post.
I agree, the distance is short, and sometimes is a problem for fast movements in 1-4 frets.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Same here, I just can't play a 6 string without feeling handicapped anymore. I get used to the string spacing fast enough but I just miss the low B (or in my case low A) too much

Bygde

Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be able to pass between 34" 6-string bass, to 27" 7-string, to ukulele, to 25.5" 6-string effortlessly. Not to brag or anything, but it feels completely natural to me.

Duraesu

Reaction score
:agreed: I never understood the "I can't play sixes anymore" mentality.

++1

but i'm one of those "i cant play thrash metal on a 7string guitar" kind of guy :lol: so dont take me seriously... weird thing is, when i had my APEX2, i felt a little 'restrained' , but when i picked up a 6 riffs would fly off easily... go figure:scratch: but i still want to get a new 7!

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be able to pass between 34" 6-string bass, to 27" 7-string, to ukulele, to 25.5" 6-string effortlessly. Not to brag or anything, but it feels completely natural to me.

^+1... same boat!

')