I composed music for a Video Game! And it was Greenlit on Steam!!

• Thread starter Shrikkanth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shrikkanth

Reaction score
Hey all! I wrote the music for a game a mate of mine has been working on for the past 2 years. Recently, it was greenlit by the Steam community! This means it'll be up for grabs on Steam at some point soon :)

Anyway, the game is called 'Spectrum', a side-scrolling puzzle game for the PC and Ouya console. I more or less had free reign with the music. I had to keep things dark and scary at times but I got to go all over the place, thematically.

Here's a few of the tracks for your listening pleasure. Of course, the remainder of the soundtrack can be found on soundcloud.

Final boss theme:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shrikkanth/ruin-and-i?in=shrikkanth/sets/spectrum-soundtrack[/SC]

Chill level theme:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shrikkanth/curious-again?in=shrikkanth/sets/spectrum-soundtrack[/SC]

Creepy level theme:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shrikkanth/please?in=shrikkanth/sets/spectrum-soundtrack[/SC]

And my favourite, the final level theme:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/shrikkanth/not-without-the-hurt?in=shrikkanth/sets/spectrum-soundtrack[/SC]

Let me know what you guys think!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dalcan

Reaction score
Dude this is awesome! Congrats! Just followed you on Soundcloud.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Man! That's a big deal! Sounds awesome, too! Well done and congratulations! :)

Shrikkanth

Reaction score
Thanks guys! :) Glad you're enjoying the tunes!

I'll update when the game gets released. Any other game/movie composers on here? Would be cool to network!

Shrikkanth

Reaction score
I was 8 years old when I last played Hexen and I can't remember the music but I'll take that compliment! Thanks man :)

Game music wise I mimicked motifs from Uematsu, Mitsuda and I also tried to work in Prog rocky Porcupine Tree, Karnivool kinda stuff in when I could :)

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Really digging the compositions. Congrats and good work, man!

chickenxnuggetz91

What kind of sauce?
Reaction score
Nice, bro! I wish I had some sort of opportunity to create music for something like that. I did.....once......lol.

bigswifty

Reaction score
This is awesome, I'd like to play this game!

What VTSi's did you use? Also, how does one land a job such as this?
I'd love to give it a go for some under the radar game programmers :metal:

Shrikkanth

Reaction score
Damn thanks so much guys!!

Ok to answer some of your questions:

- DAW: Reason 5 and Adobe Audition!
- VSTs: None :). I pretty much just used Reason presets and when I exported tracks to Audition I'd EQ them and play with automation etc. I kept it very simple!
- How does one land such a job? I work as a Software Engineer at Orion Health here in NZ. One of my mates from work is the sole developer of the game so when I saw the opportunity to write the music for his game I pounced on it. I'm also now attending Game developer meetups in Auckland: The Auckland Game Development Meetup (Auckland) - Meetup . Loads of contacts to be made but I haven't landed a new contract yet. I'd suggest heading to anything similar in your neighborhood

Nice, bro! I wish I had some sort of opportunity to create music for something like that. I did.....once......lol.

As in you've also worked on a game at some point? Link away! would love to hear it

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT, THOSE TRACKS ARE AMAZING. NOT EVEN, I MEAN..
SHIT

this is too good, im not just sayin it. I genuinely liked this. good fucking job.

I need to learn how to use reason goddamn.

')