I did something with a 6 string today that should not be attempted by any sane human.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
With .010-.046, I tuned down....

to Bb! :lol:

I wanted to really figure out whether I would get a lot of use out of a 7 string, so I did the unthinkable, and tuned waaaay the fuck down to play some Nevermore.

Actually, it didn't sound half as bad or muddy as I thought it would.

Conclusion: shit, I need a 7 string. :metal:

I present to you, "How NOT to Play a 6 String":

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrp5150

Call it.
Reaction score
You don't need a 7 string, you just need some thicker strings. I tune all my 6 strings to B standard.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Pfft, one of my 6-strings is tuned a major seventh below that :p
Neat video, though!

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Thanks to Stitch and everyone who said I had chops :) I can only take these compliments by saying that the first video is sloppy as fuck and the one that Lucky Seven posted had the most ear splitting vibrato, that hopefully I've improved since the summer :lol:

But thanks, really :)

All this Nevermore crazyness, I'm considering that Loomis model more and more...

DOWN TO Bb!? are you insane? that would be as floppy as Stitchs dick when he thinks about women! :scream:

:rofl:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
You should consider the Loomis as it is supreme. I seriosuly don't think that there is a better production seven on the market. If you dig Nevermore the Loomis should suit you fine.

arnoroth661

Tremol-no User
Contributor
Reaction score
Devildriver goes down to drop B on a 6... but then again most of their music is chugga chugga chugg *pinch harmonic* chug breakdown chug. :shred:

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Devildriver goes down to drop B on a 6... but then again most of their music is chugga chugga chugg *pinch harmonic* chug breakdown chug. :shred:

They probably use way thicker strings though - that's why this is so dangerous :lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used to tune to Drop Bb with 10-46 :lol: It can work! I now tune to D standard with 10-46 so I'm somewhat sensible, but you'd be surprised what you can get used to when the tone is so good (I was using a Parker Fly Deluxe).

Step up to the plate and get a 7, preferably a good one :)

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
They probably use way thicker strings though - that's why this is so dangerous :lol:

When I want to play some Sikth I tune to G# on a 52. You just need to practice having a super light touch and I actually prefer how it sounds that way.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
When I want to play some Sikth I tune to G# on a 52. You just need to practice having a super light touch and I actually prefer how it sounds that way.

I was just shocked at how well it stayed in tune that way - pretty much as well as it does in standard. With strings that loose, every touch feels like abuse.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was just shocked at how well it stayed in tune that way - pretty much as well as it does in standard. With strings that loose, every touch feels like abuse.

Yeah it doesn't wobble out of tune or anything at all, you just have to know how to play, which apparently you do. If I were you when you switch to a 7, I would start off with 9's and see what you think. I use 10's but I tune down 1 step.

')