I did something with a 6 string today that should not be attempted by any sane human.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't wobble out of tune or anything at all, you just have to know how to play, which apparently you do. If I were you when you switch to a 7, I would start off with 9's and see what you think. I use 10's but I tune down 1 step.

Maybe, but I use 10's for standard on all my sixes as it is. If I go with a Schecter or other extended scale 7, I'll probably try 9's first.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i'unno, that doesnt seem that crazy to me - especially if your guitar is a 25.5 scale with that gauge.

a gibson LP with 10-52 strung up to B standard, now that is some limp strings and some saggy/djenty? tone lol

FortePenance

Reaction score
In one song me and the band do, we tune to AADGBE. I usually use 11-48 but the other guitarist uses 9-42. It's damn floppy, the 42 at A.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i'unno, that doesnt seem that crazy to me - especially if your guitar is a 25.5 scale with that gauge.

a gibson LP with 10-52 strung up to B standard, now that is some limp strings and some saggy/djenty? tone lol

Not really. It's somewhat slinky sure but it's not limp, saggy or 'djenty'. A .052 in B, even with a 24.75" scale is not a big deal, a ton of bands do that.

Honestly the word 'djent' needs to die. So irritating and overused. Djent is a way of picking that can be done with any gauge strings, be it a .032 or a .085. Cathedral tunes to B with 9-46 or something crazy like that, yet they wouldn't be able to get a 'djent' out of their tone if their life depended on it ;) Tony Iommi tuned to C# with 8-32 strings. Again, no djent! :lol: It's a technique.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem I always have with tuning that light is that I knock the strings way the fuck out of tune. Dino is using a 52 or something like that for his low A, so if you've a light enough touch you can get away with it.

Now, the range... apart from tuning in fifths or something odd like that, you will need to go 7.

Jeff

arnoroth661

Tremol-no User
Contributor
Reaction score
Very serious chops indeed. Kinda makes me want to look into Nevermore... Where's a good place to start? :lol:

:hbang:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
This Godless Endeavor, Enemies of Reality, and Dead Heart In A Dead World are the albums with 7s. If you go for EOR (my personal favorite, possibly the heaviest) make sure you get the Sneap remix.

Jeff

arnoroth661

Tremol-no User
Contributor
Reaction score
This Godless Endeavor, Enemies of Reality, and Dead Heart In A Dead World are the albums with 7s. If you go for EOR (my personal favorite, possibly the heaviest) make sure you get the Sneap remix.

Jeff

I wish I could go to a CD store. :noplease: By any leap of faith... well, yea, they probably sell their music on Itunes. :scratch:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Why not?

Hell, I'll wind up in Dallas before too long, I might be able to pick one up for you if I have any spare time.

Jeff

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize that people actually DID this :lol:

It actually sounded much better in real life (camera mic), but I think it was at least partly because of the Jackson's specs. It's 25.5" and made primarily of maple with alder wings. Apparently it doesn't get muddy too easily. Had I done this with my Explorer, for many reasons... that would have been much worse.

Still want a 7 :yesway:

mrp5150

Call it.
Reaction score
Yeah, check out his other video.

The sweeping is incredibly clean and impressive...but I don't think I've ever heard a worse vibrato in my life. Boggles my mind that so many shred dudes don't give a shit about practicing their vibrato at all.

Reaction score
I do drop B fine on a 6 with 11s. My band usually plays in C# standard. When my other guitarist gets a 7 then we'll be in Ab. It'll be fucking uber.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
If I recall correctly one of the guitarists in Cannibal Corpse downtuned 6s to Bb when recording rhythms because a 7-string 81 wasn't available yet.

Jeff

')