I do not like people who buy to sell.

• Thread starter Xtremevillan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps because I haven't been playing as long as they have or been in the music industry as long as them, but I feel that when you buy something, you should keep it. Perhaps I'm being a hypocrite or self-serving bias, because as we all know I recently bought a Mesa with the intention of either trading it in or selling for the same price after experimenting it for a few weeks, but I decided I'm going to keep it. I've also wanted to try a 2x12, but if I liked it, I'd keep it, because I'm not getting rid of the Vader. I've also gone through quite a few guitars, but never truly wanted to sell them (except the starter). All the sales of the guitars went to funding a new one, just like my RG550 is now. I had the intention of keeping it and I probably still would, but I had an obligation; and you can bet my Caparison(s) will never be sold.

I don't know, it just makes me angry when I see people buy new gear and know that it'll be on the block a few weeks from then, and probably for an inflated price. I see people like NGD! every few weeks, "this one is a keeper for sure", "hoping this one is the one"...and then they were like "oh yeah sold that" in no time flat, in a period that I would have just been adjusting to the damn guitar--I'm still getting used to my Caparison! Maybe it's the time playing issue again...

I think I now know what zimbloth and everyone were saying that when you buy a new piece of gear make sure you like it and won't need to sell it back. (only thing is, how can I try a BKP?) Probably just me and me being a moron...at almost midnight...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Labrie

King of the Swing
Reaction score
I get pretty attached to my guitars. Mostly because I only buy guitars that I really really want. I'll never get rid of any of my beauties, whether I play them or not. I don't think I'd ever buy something just to turn around and sell it again.

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Well Labrie, I can see where you're coming from and that is how people IMO should be, but there are times where you can sell them--when you need cash ASAP to pay for a bill, or an emergency or something. Or if you're upgrading or actually whatever. But I see people buying the guitars then a week later a new post on the bay or sale board, and I see it's by them. I mean, if you got the guitar at a steal price, keep it, play it for a bit...I know I got my Ibanez RG520QS with that modded bridge, that's going absolutely nowhere. The Hellraiser was my main guitar and I was pretty fucking sad to see that go but I got a Frozen Sky instead, so it was good that I sold it.

And even if I do get that Marshall / cabinet I was planning on experimenting on, I wouldn't sell it right away. I really don't like those people now that I think about it.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I get pretty attached to my guitars. Mostly because I only buy guitars that I really really want. I'll never get rid of any of my beauties, whether I play them or not. I don't think I'd ever buy something just to turn around and sell it again.

+1
:agreed:

Before I make any major purchases I think about it for a good while. If I decide I really don't need it, I won't buy it.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
So, you hate guitar stores? They buy the guitars from their suppliers, and sell them on. Really, its just like as basic as capitalism gets dude. If you hate that, youre hating capitalism. Now, if you hate capitalism, then its all well and good, but if you support capitalism at all, then its a bit of an... ill thought out... way to look at things.

Not to be an ass, but that whole outlook is silly. Otherwise, the only time a used guitar ever became available would be when someone didnt have the money to make it by. Seriously, i love the used market. You can think as hard as you want about a guitar, but you cant be sure youll like it until you try it. Buy something to see if you like it and pass it on if you dont. What does "how much it means to someone else" have to do with anything? if theyre just going to sell it again, the other person can still buy it. Personally, i can usually tell if i wont work with a guitar within a day or two. within 2 weeks, ill be 95% sure of whether i like it or not. Only once have i decided i didnt like a guitar that i had for a few months, and that was because the carvin was just so nice. I didnt groove with it though.

Really, it makes more sense to me to hate people who will buy guitars and NOT use them. frankly, if you buy the guitar and dont use it, youre abusing a piece of art, a musical tool, that should be in the hands of someone who can put it to proper use.

Again, not being a dick or anything, hope i didnt offend anyone. just offering up my :2c:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
So, you hate guitar stores? They buy the guitars from their suppliers, and sell them on. Really, its just like as basic as capitalism gets dude. If you hate that, youre hating capitalism. Now, if you hate capitalism, then its all well and good, but if you support capitalism at all, then its a bit of an... ill thought out... way to look at things.

Not to be an ass, but that whole outlook is silly. Otherwise, the only time a used guitar ever became available would be when someone didnt have the money to make it by. Seriously, i love the used market. You can think as hard as you want about a guitar, but you cant be sure youll like it until you try it. Buy something to see if you like it and pass it on if you dont. What does "how much it means to someone else" have to do with anything? if theyre just going to sell it again, the other person can still buy it. Personally, i can usually tell if i wont work with a guitar within a day or two. within 2 weeks, ill be 95% sure of whether i like it or not. Only once have i decided i didnt like a guitar that i had for a few months, and that was because the carvin was just so nice. I didnt groove with it though.

Really, it makes more sense to me to hate people who will buy guitars and NOT use them. frankly, if you buy the guitar and dont use it, youre abusing a piece of art, a musical tool, that should be in the hands of someone who can put it to proper use.

Again, not being a dick or anything, hope i didnt offend anyone. just offering up my :2c:

+1 :agreed:

When I saw the title for this thread, my first thought was, "So... he hates guitar stores?"

Why do you care what other people do with their money? When someone is looking for their ideal guitar or amp, they will oftentimes try out various guitars a few weeks at a time before deciding it isn't for them.

In my case, the shortest I've ever owned a piece of gear before selling it was 3 years, but not everyone is like that.

People who buy guitars and then sell them immediately allow others to get almost-mint condition gear for much cheaper than they would go for new.

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
It's also more the nature of things these days with internet buying - lots of people don't get the chance to try before they buy, so they buy it, give it ago and if it's not for them they sell it. I know guitar stores here have 0 7 strings, so every guitar I buy is a risk. If people can afford to buy gear in the first place and then go through every amp and guitar under the sun to find what's perfect for them, more power to them. I'm still jealous of them, but it's their cash and their gear, and who knows, maybe you'll get a good deal off them for something you want.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Considering it's hard to find cool gear at reasonable prices at wastelands like Guitar Center, we're left to just buy blind. When buying blind, the best way to protect yourself if you end up not liking it, is to try to find the best deal possible so if you don't like it you can sell it and make your money back or even a few bucks on top of it. I don't see a problem with that, nor people who do it to make some extra money in this brutal economy.

Personally, whenever *I* buy something it's my intention to keep it, but being a serious gearhead I'm always wanting to try different things. That said, over the last year or so I've actually been fairly loyal to my gear. I doubt many people thought I'd still have my Behringer and Xiphos ;)

Honestly, it's been such a fun ride trying out so many guitars/amps over the years. Now I'm informed and know exactly what's out there and what best suits my needs. Plus it enables me to give solid advice. Sure I bought a few guitars specifically to sell, but it's still fun to get to play around with it for a few weeks first you know? Plus as someone who's been out of work since 2006 and have been unable to land a good job, I think it would be absurd to blame me for trying to make a few bucks on eBay here or there.

Instead of posting rants like this, how about responding to my PM regarding the Caparison you wanted ;)

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Instead of posting rants like this, how about responding to my PM regarding the Caparison you wanted ;)

Well I just don't want to get both of our hopes up and then dash them--an issue came up at work and I might have to quit. It's that fucking serious. I didn't want to commit to it and then in december be like oh yeah i can't do it lol sry.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind people Zimblothing gear, it's when people like Rich Harris buy up rare guitars because they have the cash to outbid anyone, and then do a setup on them, and sell them for a ridiculous upcharge. Someone could have snagged that guitar for a lot cheaper, and it might have been their dream guitar, but instead he outbids everyone, buying it at an already ridiculous price, THEN sells it for even more. That is just not cool. If someone goes through gear like crazy trying to find their ideal stuff, then that's cool. Upcharging a little bit if you overpaid on shipping/customs or whatever, or if the guitar is now rare, well, that's not really bad, you set your price, if people buy it that's their issue. It's when someone fucks someone else out of a deal just so they can turn around and make a buck. I mean, everyone's got to eat, it's just a shitty situation.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
I buy beat up guitars and refinish them and fix em up to sell. I don't buy "expensive" guitars to resell, just good guitars that need to be better.

The Trooper

Disposable Hero
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with people buying/selling/trading things. Who cares if they've owned a partcular piece of gear for 10 minutes or 10 years? If it's not working for them at that time, move on to something else. If everyone kept all of their gear for the most part, it would be a sad, sad used market and I bet most of the people here wouldn't have half of the gear they do if they had to pay new prices on most of it.

I have a small set of gear that remains pretty constant, and then I have a lot of gear I flip around all the time for the sole purpose of trying something new. Why? I like trying new gear. In the last year alone, I've tried out (personally owned):

6 Mesa Dual Rectifiers
2 Mesa Stiletto Heads (ACE and Series I)
2 ADA MP-1 Preamps
Mesa Studio Preamp
Roland JC-120H Head
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn Nitro
Splawn 4X12 (w/BB and SB 65)
Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary Head & Cab (Blue)
5 Guitars (Now gone.)
15-20 Effects Pedals (That I've sold.)

If you back up over the last 3-4 years, I'd be typing for another half hour. I know what I like and keep a small, select group of gear. With the rest of it, I buy and sell, toss that money into my "gear fund," and try out new things. What doesn't work out well for me or I decide not to keep might be the perfect amp/guitar for the next guy who will get to buy it at a reduced price over a new one.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
:noway: I see no problem with buying gear and selling it if you find something else you'd rather try. I buy gear to check it out (usually if it's not something I can try out locally) and if I don't like it I sell it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Plus, why get your panties in a bunch over what other people are doing with their money? :lol:

Also you shouldn't sell that Caparison EVER then, or you would look like a huge hypocrite for talking poorly about people who buy and sell stuff! I think it's rather silly to post something like what you did honestly. :2c: Not really sure why you would get "angry" seeing other people sell gear to get something they might like better either?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he's talking about people selling stuff to try something new, I think he's talking about people who buy with the intention to sell at a higher price.

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone else has mentioned this, and it's not directly relevant to the OP's point...but my outlook on selling gear full stop is that id prefer to sell/trade a guitar that I don't use and put it towards a new guitar than just have it sat in the corner gathering dust :shrug:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he's talking about people selling stuff to try something new, I think he's talking about people who buy with the intention to sell at a higher price.

Nah he posted both people who buy and sell, and people who buy and then try to sell for an "inflated" price (which is also rather silly, market price is dictated by the BUYERS :nuts:).

P.S. OP, your 6 iTrader feedbacks prove that you have sold gear before! OMGZ! NOOOOO I AM SO ANGRY! :realmad: C'mon now... if this is the worst thing going on in your life right now I think you have it pretty good! :rofl:

The Trooper

Disposable Hero
Reaction score

I think that may have been the original intent, but after re-reading the first post, it seemed more like a rant about people buying gear then selling it quickly in general (and not keeping it) instead of about profit... :cool:

Nah he posted both people who buy and sell, and people who buy and then try to sell for an "inflated" price (which is also rather silly, market price is dictated by the BUYERS :nuts:).

This is also true. If you buy a piece of gear for $600 and the going rate hits $750 a month later when you sell it, I see no problem with making a profit from it. Why? Because the market could just as easily drop $150 in the other direction too. It's like kharma...thigns have a way of balancing themselves out. I usually try to sell gear for whatever I paid for it to break even (cheaper to friends or slightly higher if the market has really moved THAT much). But on the whole, I lose some on a deal here, gain some on a deal there...and it all comes out in the wash in the end for the most part.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
This is also true. If you buy a piece of gear for $600 and the going rate hits $750 a month later when you sell it, I see no problem with making a profit from it. Why? Because the market could just as easily drop $150 in the other direction too. It's like kharma...thigns have a way of balancing themselves out. I usually try to sell gear for whatever I paid for it to break even (cheaper to friends or slightly higher if the market has really moved THAT much). But on the whole, I lose some on a deal here, gain some on a deal there...and it all comes out in the wash in the end for the most part.

I agree with that. I bought my RG7CT like 3 years ago, and I've been offered more than what I paid, although in reality, once you factor in shipping, and the duty I paid, I'd probably only be doing a little bit better than breaking even. If market price goes up, sure, but when you have the cash to buy all the rare guitars out there, then inflate the price on your own, and set the market, that's just a dick move.

Latest posts

')