I don't know where to begin.

• Thread starter Reynolds
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
This must be a very popular question here, but if any if you could point me towards a thread that answers it, I'll delete this thread. I've tried searching, but I didn't find what I'm looking for.

I want to get started making relatively good quality recordings on a budget. I own a ton of instruments, all of which I want the capability of recording.

Schecter hellraiser
Squier with strings as thick as my arm
Fretless strat copy
Two acoustics, one with an electric output
bass guitar. Soon to be fretless.
alto sax
ocarina
didgeridoo
trumpet
Cheapo 5 piece drum kit
annnd vocals.

What kind of mics? How should I approach recording the electric instruments? What would be the most appropriate program for an amateur user? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
I intend to buy the gear I need over time, so as long as it's not ridiculous I should be good. I'm saving up about $100 right now to get started. When I make more money I'll buy more stuff from the wishlist.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first place to start then would be to get a solid, high quality recording interface. Basically the piece of equipment that sits in between your instrument or mic and you computer.

Just about 99% of them come with some software, most importantly a DAW (digital audio workstation) to record, edit, and arrange in via your computer.

From there, a solid set of microphones and even some mic-preamps will be the key to capturing all your acoustic instruments. The electric instruments are really easy, as once you have an interface there's tons of free and cheap signal processing software out there.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
Thank you. How could I forget? I am sitting next to my keyboard as I type this! I own a Casio Privia px-800. It has outputs for 1/4" line, midi, and usb. What would I require to let it act as a midi controller for whatever program I have on my computer?

Reaction score
Shop Pro Audio, Computers & Peripherals, Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

You can filter by price on the left. Some will come with recording software, others won't. Also, if you want to record acoustic drums, you should look for something with at least 4 inputs. (Someone correct me if I'm off on that!)

And since your keyboard has USB, you won't need a separate MIDI-USB interface--you can send MIDI via USB to control software instruments. Though if you get an audio interface that also has MIDI ports, that'll free up a USB port on your computer (keyboard MIDI out ---> audio interface MIDI in ---> computer USB or Firewire in).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All you would have to do is make sure you get an interface capable of MIDI. Don't worry too much about it though, as most over $120 are. Though, the Casio might not be capable of being a controller, and only send input data.

String7th

Reaction score
Allow me to kick you back to reality. Your instruments mean nothing when it comes to making good quality recordings. Even more so if you plan to record other people, a drummer or guitarist will certainly prefer playing thier own gear.

To Record bands:
$600---8-channel firewife interface with ADAT.
$400---ADAT preamp to record a total of 16 channels.
$250---Cheapest 7-piece drum mic set on the market from CAD.
$100---SM57 for universal use
$100---Cheap MXL mics for vocals
$300---Minimum you should spend on reference monitors.
$350---cables, mic stands, and other studio accessories.

To Record guitar or vocals only

$80----Alesis Multimix with 2 preamps, 2 channel tracking only.
$100---Good pair of closed back headphones.
$100-300---Drum software.
$0-300---Guitar amp software, a lot free online or could invest in purchased software.

And none of this will get you good quality recordings. Only practice, experience and patience to learn from bad mixes will progress you to great quality. You could jump into Maxamedia Studios right now ($100/hr multi-million dollar studio) and not get commercial quality the first go 'round.

I'd suggest starting out with an entry level interface like the Alesis I mentioned or I suggest the Tascam144, a very good interface with a ton of features and reliability. Just jump in and start recording with free guitar VSTs you find online, and maybe invest in BFD eco or EZdrummer for $100 to get started in drum programming. Trial and error will get you better at technique.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe times have changed, but ten years ago, if you walked into a store with a $100 bill and wanted recording software and mics, you would be leaving with a $100 bill and a frown on your face.

IMO, any mics under $80 or so are just not going to be reliable enough to depend on. Good vocal mics and bass drum mics cost a pretty penny, and I have yet to hear a condenser simulator that sounds anything like halfway decent.

If I was you, I would save up for a good recording interface first, and not be in too much of a rush to get it. There is decent amp simulation software out there for guitar and bass, and there is decent drum machine software as well. Once you get some experience with these and save up some more, you can start grabbing mics.

String7th

Reaction score
Remember back in the day, recording yourself was a mixing board, a tape recorder, and playing the song 42 times till you get a take that everyone is happy with.

In the begining, Presonus's answer to the $25,000 Digi001 was the Firestation, a 2-preamp, 6 channel multi-tracking interface for an affordable $1,200. Now Tascam makes a $300 USB interface with 8 preamps and 14 channel tracking.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Remember back in the day, recording yourself was a mixing board, a tape recorder, and playing the song 42 times till you get a take that everyone is happy with.

In the begining, Presonus's answer to the $25,000 Digi001 was the Firestation, a 2-preamp, 6 channel multi-tracking interface for an affordable $1,200. Now Tascam makes a $300 USB interface with 8 preamps and 14 channel tracking.

Actually...in the beginning, musicians were recorded onto wax cylinders, and they were lucky if they got more than two takes to have a perfect performance.

I still think that 2" reel to reel tape of the seventies and early eighties sounds better than some of the high-end digital stuff. :shrug:

Even ten years ago, though, you could grab a $300 Fostex or Tascam 4-track tape recorder to get started. I seem to recall even some cheap Zoom digital recorders. Those didn't sound nearly as good as cheap software does now, though. Maybe if you were on a very low budget, you could try to find some of that outdated gear on eBay or even at a flea market. I bought my first recording deck at a yard sale for $20. I wish I still had it for nostalgia's sake.

As far as mic's go; however, I do not think that there have been any industry-flipping changes recently. Even a used high-end mic will cost a king's ransom.

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
sevenstringj,
Thanks for the link! I'm perusing the products as I type this. I'll find an interface that accepts MIDI and USB, for sure.

max,
That's one less thing to worry about!:yesway:

Allow me to kick you back to reality. Your instruments mean nothing when it comes to making good quality recordings. Even more so if you plan to record other people, a drummer or guitarist will certainly prefer playing thier own gear.

To Record bands:
$600---8-channel firewife interface with ADAT.
$400---ADAT preamp to record a total of 16 channels.
$250---Cheapest 7-piece drum mic set on the market from CAD.
$100---SM57 for universal use
$100---Cheap MXL mics for vocals
$300---Minimum you should spend on reference monitors.
$350---cables, mic stands, and other studio accessories.

To Record guitar or vocals only

$80----Alesis Multimix with 2 preamps, 2 channel tracking only.
$100---Good pair of closed back headphones.
$100-300---Drum software.
$0-300---Guitar amp software, a lot free online or could invest in purchased software.

And none of this will get you good quality recordings. Only practice, experience and patience to learn from bad mixes will progress you to great quality. You could jump into Maxamedia Studios right now ($100/hr multi-million dollar studio) and not get commercial quality the first go 'round.

I'd suggest starting out with an entry level interface like the Alesis I mentioned or I suggest the Tascam144, a very good interface with a ton of features and reliability. Just jump in and start recording with free guitar VSTs you find online, and maybe invest in BFD eco or EZdrummer for $100 to get started in drum programming. Trial and error will get you better at technique.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I was merely sharing what instruments I have to help you help me. How can I expect relevant advice if you don’t know what you’re working with? I understand that having a good guitar won’t mean the recording will be good. To be clear, I’m only looking to make personal recordings for non commercial use. It’s something I want to learn more about and have fun with.

Thank you for the advice, though. I will certainly take everything you said into consideration. I’m already learning a lot just from all of the users in this thread, and I very much appreciate it!

')