I don't need another guitar, but...

• Thread starter odibrom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really need another guitar, I have plenty, more than I can use, justify or whatever but...

... there's a local (300km apart) deal for an Ibanez UV777P (LoPro version from early 2000's) at just the right price tag and it's mint. The seller says it was a 2019 NOS buy from a local shop and that the guitar has received a Nickel refret and pleck fret treatment in January (I think). I'm thorn here because I don't need another guitar, more so, I already have one of these that plays great and delivers all the tones I need or will ever need.

Having this said, I'm kind of curious in installing a Sustainer in a fretted, floyd loaded 7 stringer and this one might just do the trick... or duplicate the crazy wiring I've made in my UV... or go further down the craziness path... I do have a Blaze Custom pickup waiting for a guitar... or just invest to sell later (although I don't really like this game).

The price is just right, way bellow anything seen in Reverb or anywhere else and just a little above what I bought mine for.

... so, what do I do? I'll also ask the boss lady in the house for her consent (I have to)...

... I'd prefer an S-series Perstige, but those don't come by as often as desired...

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'd rather have an S or JC personally. No point rushing if you don't have to.
These do have a strong argument against the Sabers: they're reversible mod capable in the wiring game. I mean, due to the pickguard and top cavity routing, one can go custom very easily and add lots of options without wrecking its resale value drilling the guitar's top.

... and I'm a bit of a Vai fanboy, so there's that as well...

... have I said the price is just right? Like 600€ bellow the cheapest I've found in Europe on major sales sites and it's in pristine condition, judging by the photos... The ones with the lower price tags are quite beaten...

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Bro you have like 5 guitars (typical SSO member), do you really need one because of the pickups you can use in it? If you like it and the price is right go for it nonetheless, that's not something you should feel the need to rationalize of course.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You could get yourself an older UV if you don’t mind spending more. I do miss my 777BK I sold decades ago but not so much since I’ve been playing the older UVs.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
NOS? Sounds like it may have been a rare lemon that has remained on the shelf because it plays like log. The fact it's been Plek'ed having never been owned is yet another red flag.

That said, it's not always a deal-breaker. I actually occasionally pick up lemons to repair and flip and have made good money doing this. A good example was a Chinese-made Squier Strat Clasdic Vibe I got new off a store for 50% off list because it was "never gonna play right". Yet a neck correction, fret level and proper set up later and I was able to flip it at a premium to RRP, due to demand for this model.

Also, if they've Plek'ed in their shop, they should be able to share the final report of the levelling exercise.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could get it as a bargaining chip on something else in the future... Or at the very least sell for a profit.

A question for you:. Could this guitar replace something a little less valuable in your collection if you make the upgrades you like?

Reaction score
You could get yourself an older UV if you don’t mind spending more. I do miss my 777BK I sold decades ago but not so much since I’ve been playing the older UVs.
Square heels aren't really my thing, there aren't any around here and those are also stupidly more expensive...

NOS? Sounds like it may have been a rare lemon that has remained on the shelf because it plays like log. The fact it's been Plek'ed having never been owned is yet another red flag.

That said, it's not always a deal-breaker. I actually occasionally pick up lemons to repair and flip and have made good money doing this. A good example was a Chinese-made Squier Strat Clasdic Vibe I got new off a store for 50% off list because it was "never gonna play right". Yet a neck correction, fret level and proper set up later and I was able to flip it at a premium to RRP, due to demand for this model.

Also, if they've Plek'ed in their shop, they should be able to share the final report of the levelling exercise.
The guitar was pleck'ed at Thomann, so the receipt says. I'm not scared of lemons AND, it must be said, these guitars don't sell that easy in this corner of the globe. My small country has a very limited view on guitars for most of the folks...

Is it an easy resale? First 4 posts read like hes committed :2c:
I don't really buy guitars for resale, although I've done it once if I remember right...

Do it, but get a spare pickguard.
Oh, I will, have you seen my UV? Let me remind you of it...
IbanezUV777P-BK_NET_00a.jpg

You could get it as a bargaining chip on something else in the future... Or at the very least sell for a profit.

A question for you:. Could this guitar replace something a little less valuable in your collection if you make the upgrades you like?
As I said before, I don't flip guitars to make money, those I buy have a purpose to fulfill... even if it's just a whim...

No, this guitar will not replace anything in my collection, it will be an add-on, or a backup for my other UV, just posted... and would probably receive a different setup, either in tuning or wiring... or just a different pickguard look...

Stiman

Reaction score
I vote wait for the elusive (does it even exist??) used 7-string S model. Prestige if possible.

Reaction score
I vote wait for the elusive (does it even exist??) used 7-string S model. Prestige if possible.
I already have one of those... all boxes checked, LoPro included... the guitar just rips...

... however, I'm apparently 2nd in line for this deal, so hope is a bit down for now... :(

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of having the same guitar twice. It's hard already to invent new excuses to get a new guitar in, so at least make them count! :lol:

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of having the same guitar twice. It's hard already to invent new excuses to get a new guitar in, so at least make them count! :lol:
It wouldn't be a novelty to me, since I already own 2x RG2027XVVs... this one wouldn't be really the same, I'd change it a bit in the wiring game... but I think I lost the deal... :( .. backup guitars is a great excuse... haven't you used it yet? 😁 you should try it...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont mean flip, i mean recoup if you get buyers remorse.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a novelty to me, since I already own 2x RG2027XVVs... this one wouldn't be really the same, I'd change it a bit in the wiring game... but I think I lost the deal... :( .. backup guitars is a great excuse... haven't you used it yet? 😁 you should try it...
My wife started getting suspicious after backup number 17 turned out to be a ukulele...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The fact it's been Plek'ed having never been owned is yet another red flag.
I had the same thought - why plek and re-fret a NOS?

I'd also second this. There's a weird "custom" S7 prestige on eBay right now that I've had my eye on. If I don't grab it, I'd be happy to see someone around here with it.

Latest posts

')