I don't want to live in this world [ESP NFT Content]

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah I was pretty ashamed of ESP when I saw this, this type of thing wreaks of a Gibson move.

Digital snake oil and nothing more. Except snake oil at least physically existed, so its not even as good as snake oil.

I was actually expecting Schecter or Ibanez to hop on the bandwagon first. Wouldn't be surprised if they do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I was actually expecting Schecter or Ibanez to hop on the bandwagon first. Wouldn't be surprised if they do.

This was a total Gibson/Dean move. ESP USA has always been a bit sketch though -- just look at the etched guitars themselves, that's not a real ESP type of run to begin with.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Counterpoint: it's quite a clever idea. $100 is cheap, so ESP fanboys get something to own - a bit like how people pay real money for t-shirts, posters etc - to be walking advertisements for a brand. They can also make it a bit exclusive by limiting the numbers. Maybe someone will want it in the future and you can sell it on (but probably not for these IMO).

NFTs in principle do make a lot of sense, but the uses we are seeing right now are kinda silly, like this ESP NFT. The idea of people paying crazy money for art is also not new. So why not digital art? The real art world is full of fraud, fakes etc, which is impossible with an NFT. You also never have to doubt the owner of the NFT, because it only links to one single wallet.

Here's a good use case for the guitar world. Gibson, with every guitar, gives you an NFT certificate of authenticity for that guitar. So when you sell your guitar, you'd also transfer the NFT to the new owner. There can only ever be one owner of an NFT, and it can never be faked. So not having an NFT means maybe it's the guitar is a fake, so if there's decent adoption of this system, the NFT can add real value.

Dayn

Reaction score
Counterpoint: it's quite a clever idea. $100 is cheap, so ESP fanboys get something to own - a bit like how people pay real money for t-shirts, posters etc - to be walking advertisements for a brand. They can also make it a bit exclusive by limiting the numbers. Maybe someone will want it in the future and you can sell it on (but probably not for these IMO).

NFTs in principle do make a lot of sense, but the uses we are seeing right now are kinda silly, like this ESP NFT. The idea of people paying crazy money for art is also not new. So why not digital art? The real art world is full of fraud, fakes etc, which is impossible with an NFT. You also never have to doubt the owner of the NFT, because it only links to one single wallet.

Here's a good use case for the guitar world. Gibson, with every guitar, gives you an NFT certificate of authenticity for that guitar. So when you sell your guitar, you'd also transfer the NFT to the new owner. There can only ever be one owner of an NFT, and it can never be faked. So not having an NFT means maybe it's the guitar is a fake, so if there's decent adoption of this system, the NFT can add real value.
That's how I'd expect NFTs to work. There are so many great ways to use blockchain technology. The real problem is that most NFTs aren't actually tied to anything and give you zero actual interest in anything at all. You often don't even own the image in any proper sense. As people have said, you're almost always paying for a receipt and obtain no property or rights of any kind.

It could be great, but it's just another tulip bubble.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
That's how I'd expect NFTs to work. There are so many great ways to use blockchain technology. The real problem is that most NFTs aren't actually tied to anything and give you zero actual interest in anything at all. You often don't even own the image in any proper sense. As people have said, you're almost always paying for a receipt and obtain no property or rights of any kind.

It could be great, but it's just another tulip bubble.

I've seen it already applied to things like watches where there are tons of forgeries. So you buy a Rolex and get an NFT of that exact watch which guarantees authenticity.

It would be awesome for guitars IMO - so you could have a wallet with your guitars, and when you buy a guitar on Reverb the dude would transfer for NFT to you. But right now I think it's just companies making a quick buck with a "me too" idea. Early stages yet and I have high hopes for the future.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
NFT as a COA makes sense. NFT as a singular product you pay money for still seems dumb. What do you do if someone screen grabs your NFT digital artwork? Do you sue them for theft? lol. Technically you still have your NFT, right? I mean we all know money isn't real, but....

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
NFT's are peak capitalism cancer if you ask me. Making money with something that barely has any worth, while having a massive energy footprint, to destroy the climate at it.

No, NFTs for (in effect) some random garbage is dreadful. And NFT for something that has some uniqueness and some inherent value is totally fine.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
What if I purchase the real guitar with crowdfunding and send each of you a picture for $99?

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
That sounds very ideological, too bad in practice it's mostly garbage and that will probably not change any time soon.

Yup super ideological to say that using a thing for the stuff that the thing was designed for is reasonable.

And then you somehow also read an inherently neutral statement as support for the thing.

You fucking kidding me?

And which ideology do you think I am supporting exactly?

')