I feel like a complete noob (Edge Zero help needed)

• Thread starter Chri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Never before in my life have I had this much trouble changing strings on a guitar. I've set this thing up (Rg2550z) numerous times before, today however, it has decided to completely shit on me and every set of strings I try putting on it. I've followed the same steps that I've learned from multiple online guides, yet each time after I've finally gotten it all strung up, the assholes start popping out of the bridge one after the other. This seems like some weird tension issue, though I've never encountered anything like this before so I'm desperately in need of some guidance.

I think I've actually run out of six string sets now :( I'm contemplating just bringing it into a shop to be professionally set up, but I'm a full time student and don't have time during the week bring it anywhere. I feel so unreasonably frustrated and depressed right now :lol: Help me out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the strings are popping out of the locking saddles on the bridge?

Try cleaning the string lock blocks as well as where the strings sit in the saddles. Chances are a slick, slimy buildup of sweat and skin has snaked its way into the saddles which will cause slippage.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i would also try loosening the tension on the springs in back.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Yes they are literally popping out and scaring the shit out of me :lol:

What would you recommend I use to clean everything up? Or is my trusty toothbrush enough?

idunno

Reaction score
Q tip might fit in there better.Your pushing the string in as deep as they go and tightening the lock screw well and they still pop out? Are they breaking or slipping right out?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes they are literally popping out and scaring the shit out of me :lol:

What would you recommend I use to clean everything up? Or is my trusty toothbrush enough?

Some Naphtha on a Q-tip will work, though, if the guitar hasn't gotten a full cleaning in awhile I'd just disassemble the entire bridge and soak the parts in some Naphtha. That should be enough to eat way, loosen, and partially remove any gunk.

To finish it off, take a clean Q-tip and just run it through the saddles and over the lock blocks.

If you want to go the extra mile to spruce up the bridge, take a lint free cloth and some 3-In-One oil and polish it up. Then take a dry cloth and buff.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I've done everything correctly as far as stringing it up goes. They just slip out each time I finally have it in tune.

Edit: Cool, I'll try all that out. Thanks! On the off chance that none of that works are there any other possible issues that may be causing this?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious, what type of strings are you using (brand, gauge, etc.)?

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I had tried using a brand new set of Ernie Ball 11-52s (which I actually dislike, but they are decent enough and pretty much the only thing the Guitar Center I went to carries. I had a gift card I needed to use up).

After those failed I tried a set of Dean Markley's of the same guage.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you looked at the string lock blocks yet? Are they dirty? Worn down?

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Out of sheer curiosity I tried again. Right before it happens, the string starts detuning itself at a pretty rapid rate. Could it just be that I happened upon two bunk sets of strings, or is this something to do with the bridge?

idunno

Reaction score
Its really hard to tell without holding it in my hands. I had this happen to a bc rich i have. One time i over tightened the screw and the string broke inside the lock and then popped out. The other time i didnt tighten enough and is just shot out at me, scary!

Worst case scenerio you may have to replace the lock blocks that bear against the string, they could be worn out from use.

You try cleaning the area out with alcohol or something yet? Dont oil anything for a while either.

VinnyLemieux

Reaction score
if your using new strings, even of different brands, your doing everything right(after looking up how to do it), and you've taken everyone's advice into consideration then i would be willing to bet that its the locking saddles...even if it was a tension issue the strings would probably stay in place and break before they slipped out of the saddles....

dwilk

Reaction score
Super strange considering even if it was the locking saddles, I'd assume it would be one saddle went bad therefore only one string popping out. The fact that they're all being pulled out, and as stated are not actually breaking, is really baffling me.

steve1

Reaction score
Strange. Did you put the blocks in the right way round? Pushing the string in far enough? :shrug:

Reaction score
i had an edge tremolo one time. it's the reason i sold my ibanez. everywhere i took it said the bridge was sh**. the guitar tech i go to affectionately named the brand an "i-been-had"
the pivot points on my bridge were crap too, so i didn't keep it for very long. it was a beautiful guitar and sounded great, but that damned bridge was trash. i traded it in for a RR1 with floyd rose original. best floater ever imho.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I kinda forgot about this thread, oopsie.

I took the bridge out and thoroughly cleaned everything, including the saddles. Everything is strung up as it should be :flex:

And just to throw it out there, I know how to work with floating trems (they're all I've used for 6 years) :lol: That's why I said that I feel like a noob, not "I actually am a noob and don't know how to put strings on".

I do appreciate all the input and help everyone provided though! :)

')