I finally mixed something that sounds almost good!! I think..

• Thread starter aturaya
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aturaya

Reaction score
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45084039/wut.wav

I used Cubase to program + EQ the drums, which were samples loaded into a random free sampler I found on the internet named Grizzly. The guitars go into TSE808, SoloC, then KeFIR with some impulse called "spres8". The bass..is not a bass. It's just my guitar pitch shifted down an octave, running into pod farm. I really need to buy a bass.. :noplease:

Please tell me me what you think! :metal:

Oh, and for the record, it was mixed on a pair of old $20 headphones. So.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Well...actually...it was shit.

:lol:
Seriously tho, pretty good. If anything I always like snares to have more "crack" to them. But Im listening to it on really shitty speakers.

aturaya

Reaction score
Would that "crack" come from EQing or a different sample? I know what you mean, but I have no clue where to get it.

Also, I didn't use even a single compressor because I have no clue what they specifically do, if that's where the crack would come from.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I far from an expert.

But a little more upper mid/high EQing and yeah some compression to give it a little more punch.

Also, the drums could be slightly louder. Try adding a little reverb to the snare to give it a bit more character.

A real bass would go really well.

Like I said, im listening to this on crappy speakers.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Would that "crack" come from EQing or a different sample? I know what you mean, but I have no clue where to get it.

Also, I didn't use even a single compressor because I have no clue what they specifically do, if that's where the crack would come from.

You don't know what compression does? :noplease:

:nono:

Go read up now. They are tools for controlling dynamics, as are Gate/Expanders. They are almost as important as EQ in mixing.

aturaya

Reaction score
I know what they do, but I just suck with them and using them just ends up making everything sound flat. I don't know why, they don't like me.

EDIT: How was my job on the EQing, anyways?

tekkentool

Reaction score
You can use compression to add snap depending on the way you set the attack/ratio functions.

For the noob at compression, I know this is a DnB forum. But seriously check out this forum post here on DoA.

Compression 101: the basics - Dogs On Acid

It should explain what a compressor does, how to use it correctly and WHEN you want to be using it :).

aturaya

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, I'm going to bookmark that and read it later. Again though, anything to say about the EQing?

')