I find music youtubers really annoying...

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanted to like Fluff's videos but they just come off as really boring. If he had another person in his videos with some banter I think that would be much more interesting to watch.

He did for like a minute. Think it was one of the guy's from his band. It was not good

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Generally, if I want to know about something, I will search for that and watch videos by whoever comes up and make my own decisions. In this age of essentially infinite available information, a person has to be pretty discerning.

I find that avoiding the clickbaity crap is pretty easy as long as you don't get sucked down a rabbithole that is 3 hours and many degrees of separation from your original query (he said like it was just that easy)

Also, if y'all haven't seen Chords of Orion, go check him out. He's the Bob Ross of ambient guitar. I will watch his videos just to listen to him talk about music sometimes.

Nonapod

Reaction score
I'll just echo pretty much what Emperor Guillotine said here:

Adam Neeley puts out very high quality content with a focus on theory and analysis. He's probably the most educational and interesting general musician Youtuber out there.

Rick Beato's ok for the most part. He's definitely put out some interesting stuff, but he tends focus on opinion versus educating. He does lots of lists (stuff like top 20 bass lines or top vocal intros ect.) which personally aren't as interesting to me. I mean, if I'm looking for opinion I tend to check out channels like "Sea of Tranquility".

I could take or leave guys like Jared Dines and Stevie T. But they're more in the enterainment lane obviously.

For gear reiews I prefer Pete Thorn and Arnold Plays Guitar to anyone else. Those guys consistantly put out excellent, very detailed information about gear.

I can't stand Glenn Fickner's persona. And Rob Chapman is a douche, but I like Andertons Music a great deal despite Chapman's early association with it. The Captainn has really had some excellent interviews over the years.

Overall I tend to prefer quality to quantity. I don't care if a channel only puts out one video a year if that video is excellent. But of course the creaters are slaves to the almighty algorithim, so they're forced to churn out content regularly which isn't going to help quality.

nonoknapp

Reaction score
I think this idea falls apart just like the "decline of modern music" sentiment. There is a ton of excellent content if you look for it.

I really dig Heinbach and Simon the Magpie.

And Knobs has some of the most beautiful and contextually useful pedal demos I've ever seen.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I've really grown to enjoy the Bunn, and our favorite Dutchman at Sonic Drive Studios, really high quality content from really cool dudes.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Plague scythe studios is another good channel. He goes very in depth on any gear he reviews or does tone engineering on. But, being small it's whatever he has on hand. None of this, releasing a new pedal/ plug in review, at same time as everyone else.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my go-tos for music-related content are:
- Beato (I just avoid obviously ranty/clickbaity/opinionated boomer type vids he's putting out there for clicks and views - unless ofc I'm in a mood for drama lol, his "real" stuff is fn gold)
- Jens Larsen
- MusicTheoryForGuitar
- Dean Lamb
- Stevie T
- Davie504
- Quist
- Jack Gardiner
- Bradley Hall

do I like everything these guys put out there? no, but I do appreciate them for the info I'm getting or just pure entertainment value. I don't really watch TV other than a couple of sports teams I follow so in the 30 min - 1 hr or so of killing time watching "something" I can easily find some entertainment on youtube and that is pretty fn great.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Plague scythe studios is another good channel. He goes very in depth on any gear he reviews or does tone engineering on. But, being small it's whatever he has on hand. None of this, releasing a new pedal/ plug in review, at same time as everyone else.
I love Ryan, but my god the dude is such a dork about tone it entertains me just to watch someone that is that weird about what he likes lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Arnoldplaysguitar
Jon @ Sonic Drive Studios
Plague Scythe Studios
Leon Todd
Euge Valovirta

Those are pretty much the bearable ones IMO. There's more, but I don't pay attention to guitar gear/influencer youtube as much as I used to so I lost track. :lol: They don't sound like sales pitches, just dudes trying to demo gear and be as informative as possible.

I still watch Ola occasionally mostly because he's a chill dude.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I love bernths channel, butttt I’ve noticed he’s been getting more into the “editing” style approach lately and I hate that.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I love YouTube and I love most of the music YouTubers. I think this thread says more about you as the viewer than it does about the YouTubers.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I love YouTube and I love most of the music YouTubers. I think this thread says more about you as the viewer than it does about the YouTubers.

Very much this. As with "music these days" discussions, it seems to be forgotten how easy it is to opt-out or avoid the stuff one doesn't like. A few minutes with the "don't recommend channel" button is usually enough to keep most of the crap away.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love bernths channel, butttt I’ve noticed he’s been getting more into the “editing” style approach lately and I hate that.

Totally. He's attempting Ola style comedy and it falls kind of flat. The guy is a monster player and has great information, I'm sure he wants to appeal to an even broader audience.

mongey

Reaction score
I like beato's channel. I don't watch all his vid's , some his rants aren't my thing , but there is some solid content no there when he is going through an interesting song or talking on an interesting point

that's about it. all the gear demos, amp comparisons and all that I'm totally over. have done my time with them. But that's a personal thing in general, rather than anything against the content producers. I've done my time in the gear wormhole. Now I just try to forget about it and play

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Totally. He's attempting Ola style comedy and it falls kind of flat. The guy is a monster player and has great information, I'm sure he wants to appeal to an even broader audience.

Ola has music theory related content?

I've only seen him demoing gear which is usually just him setting the amp as identical to 'his tone' as he can get, throwing on an OD pedal, and then playing his tunes in mix and isolated.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think this thread says more about you as the viewer than it does about the YouTubers.
Maybe it does, but at the same time, maybe it doesn't. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've spent a stupid amount of time on youtube thanks to the 'rona, and trying to find new content and clicking through recommendations etc.... even without going too far down the "youtube vs creators" rabbit hole, you can tell that a lot of what's on the site is "content" for the "algorithm". That doesn't mean it's bad content per se, but with the platform becoming careers for people there's a lot of incentive to just do whatever it takes to get eyeballs.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ola has music theory related content?

I've only seen him demoing gear which is usually just him setting the amp as identical to 'his tone' as he can get, throwing on an OD pedal, and then playing his tunes in mix and isolated.

I was saying Bernth is trying to incorporate comedic moments like Ola does via edits. Bernth's edits for comedic effect aren't usually funny from what I've seen.

That said, I like Bernth's videos and he is massively talented.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
As others have stated already it depends on what you are looking for in a channel. The people you all mentioned are youtube personalities and sometimes personalities rub you the wrong way. Generally I do not watch channels that yell at me or make annoying faces or have fart buttons. I like someone with a pleasant demeanor and is informative...or they at least show they care even if their channel is not really for me....

The best example I can think of is Michael Nielson of Big Hairy Guitars. I was moderately interested in his video about achieving the Vai "Crossroads" tone but I had no previous interest in the other videos he does because I'm not interested in antique or modern rackmount gear minutiae... But he is so interesting to listen to, has such a wealth of knowledge that I because fascinated with the information on his channel and for me every video is a must see to learn about new gear I never previously found interesting.

I also like more obscure players on channels like Ristridi, he is an amazing guitar player if you like extreme metal or Panos Antonio Arvanitis if you like just watching one of the best players on the planet or blues guitarist Danny Page. I find I enjoy watching guitar repair videos like twoodfrd ....again because his demeanor makes him interesting to listen to and his skills are amazing. These are all people that bring something to the table without being annoying. Those are some to check out if you like that sort of thing.

')