I find music youtubers really annoying...

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh. I've worked in media production for a while, and anything that goes on air is >0% character (or cariacture) even if the person is "being themselves".

To me, Stevie T is just a character. Like Pee Wee Herman or something. The line blurs more for the viewers than for him most likely, because he's also the producer, editor, poster, etc. So you watch the Stevie T show in the context of everything Steven Terrberry does and it's not really meant to be enjoyed that way.

That kinda gets into whether or not an entertainer's life outside of their medium matter to you. That's coming from someone that doesn't like Stevie T myself but I also "get it".

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
for (actually funny) meme shit:
rudy ayoub
bradley hall

for music theory that hurts my brain:
8 bit music theory

gear demos:
brett kingman
leon todd
plague scythe (his sound is hit or miss but he does put out some interesting deep dives )
ola
pariah vs (not a fan of his tones but he tests some neat stuff)
jeremy vallao (or however it's spelled)
arnoldplays (his sound is hit or miss but I like how in depth he gets with reviews)
rabea

I poke around and watch smaller channels wayyyy more than I watch the bigger names just to give me a more complete picture of how a piece of gear can sound.

Fuck faq vids.
Reaction vids are the lowest effort dogshit and I hate them with every fiber of my being.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Reaction score
Most of my YouTube viewing in the past several years has been all about recording, mixing, engineering. Unless it’s a new amp or new gear that has come out which I’m curious on, no more gear demos for me.
Colt Capperune, Khloe Keller, PresentDayProductions, Joe Gilder, House of Kush, URM, Cubase official channel etc. many more channels in that recording universe which I’m forgetting. This is all what I watch now on YT including drum programming vids.

Brian Kelly (Zombie Guitar) and Dave Brewster are two guitar recommendations people haven’t mentioned yet.. Brian’s fretboard theory and music theory lessons have helped me out very much. Have to give a shout out to Levi Clay as well. He’s a no BS cat and a hell of a player to boot. When I find a channel like Levi’s, I make sure to subscribe.

The bigger channels like Beato and MusicIsWin all have to play similar games to make the YT algorithm happy, which makes them look like simps to garner views. This is why they use similar “clickbait” tactics. When you get big enough you have to play the game.

Turning point for me getting sick of YouTube guitar world, was one vid Tyler did that made zero sense. Where he wanted to try a fretless guitar, and didn’t get the original one he wanted. Instead of waiting to get a true fretless to do a proper vid, he quickly got an Ibanez RG and completely ruined it, to be able to “play fretless guitar” and finish the video. Said guitar was such bad condition the headstock had to be clamped on with a vise. Of course, the vast amounts of likes vs dislikes on that video told me all I need to know about guitar education on YouTube. Celebrity trumps value because celebrity is the value.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I was a fan, briefly, of Fricker. I still watch one here or there just for the lulz of him constantly contradicting himself in full rage mode. Like the constant bleating that everybody sounds exactly the same, then reiterating time and time again that you ABSOLUTELY, 100%, WITHOUT QUESTION must take a direct out for every guitar recording so the producer (i.e. him) can reamp with whatever they want, which will ABSOLUTELY, 100%, WITHOUT QUESTION sound exactly the same as every other 5150 on a recto cab that's been done to death for the past couple decades.

And yeah, his mixes are nothing special.

But Stevie T is such a caricature of both metal fans/musicians and normal nerd behavior that I kinda have a soft spot for the dork. I'm not sure I could tolerate being friends with him if he behaves that way all the time, but I doubt anybody could be that consistently weird in their real life. I say that and then I remember the kid in my neighborhood in my late teens and early twenties that could have been the prototype for what Stevie T does, so I'm probably full of it on that call.

A few dudes still exist that put out quality, entertaining and informative content. Can't think of his name, but the dude doing all the "tab books" fail videos is pretty entertaining. And it's a trip to review all those old tabs that led us all astray from yesteryear. God damned was that Blackened/Justice tab full of massive piles of fraud. I wonder how many gave up after that came out?

Bernth seems pretty cool and I've actually used some of his exercises to help me get some chops back in shape here or there over the last few months. But that dude focuses on music first, entertainment takes a back seat, WAY at the back of the bus. If you don't have a guitar in your hands, you wouldn't want to watch his vids most of the time.

I guess I have a hard time getting too upset about any of the yucksters popping daily or semi-daily vids for supposed music content. If the people keep watching, they'll keep making. And if there's two things I've learned in my nearly forty seven years on this planet (HOLY FUCK I'M OLD!) it's that A) You can't control another person's preferences or behavior. And B) You can't control a whole bunch of people's preferences or behavior. And trying to do either of those things will just lead to massive piles of anger and frustration.

Frankly, I get enough of that at work. So my youtube time is divided squarely into two categories. The first is exploration: Watching vids from creators I haven't see before. These get about two minutes to impress me or I move on. Some do, most don't. The second is catching up with favorites, and takes up the majority of my half hour to hour twice a week of youtube time outside popping specific vids for guitar exercises each day.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
The bigger channels like Beato and MusicIsWin all have to play similar games to make the YT algorithm happy, which makes them look like simps to garner views. This is why they use similar “clickbait” tactics. When you get big enough you have to play the game.

I disagree with this.. if anything, its the exact opposite - they are so big that they can literally not title their videos at all and still get hundreds of thousands of views. The small guys are the ones that need to do clickbaity shit to "get there" like you see with a lot of low sub guitarists trying to copy Music is win or Stevie T. At the end of the day, clickbait is a personality/choice, you dont need it to get successful on youtube. Video quality stands out above all. The "algorithm" does reward consistent posting though, so putting out more videos is rewarded over more thought out videos, but you can still do decent if your videos are high quality and not garbage.

I will say, I've tried to make a channel and its actually a lot of hard work - but I also plan out videos, not just turning on a camera and talking about bs for 45 mins.. Some people (like myself) are not used to talking on camera, or playing on camera that can be difficult sometimes.. It is a whole nother skill to learn ontop of the guitar skills. I do have a lot of respect for even the clickbaity guys cause I know its a job for them. It's a legit career path these days

Last edited:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
they are so big that they can literally not title their videos at all and still get hundreds of thousands of views
I tend to wonder, since whenever something on the platform changes, it always seems to be the big channels that moan about it the most. I can understand that to a point, since something that takes a chunk from their revenue makes it hard for them to pay employees and things like that. I have trouble imagining that anyone is immune to "the algorithm".

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a few videos that used to get thousands of views. Now everything I upload is lucky if it gets one view. I have no idea if it's the algorithm or because my content sucks.

I used to watch a lot of other independent artists' videos, but I have noticed that they are much more difficult to find, even if I search for the name of the artist, it's not always in the top 30 search results. Most of these people are infrequent uploaders.

CovertSovietBear

ブロリー
Reaction score
YouTube is what I mainly consume as far as videos go (laid off the Netflix a while ago), the only one I enjoy watching is Ola. I've seen the others and
for (actually funny) meme shit:
rudy ayoub
bradley hall

for music theory that hurts my brain:
8 bit music theory

gear demos:
brett kingman
leon todd
plague scythe (his sound is hit or miss but he does put out some interesting deep dives )
ola
pariah vs (not a fan of his tones but he tests some neat stuff)
jeremy vallao (or however it's spelled)
arnoldplays (his sound is hit or miss but I like how in depth he gets with reviews)
rabea

I poke around and watch smaller channels wayyyy more than I watch the bigger names just to give me a more complete picture of how a piece of gear can sound.

Fuck faq vids.
Reaction vids are the lowest effort dogshit and I hate them with every fiber of my being.

8 bit music theory is the GOAT. His deep dive into ambient chord progression in Donkey Kong was an excellent video. He doesn't upload frequently but his content is great. I can understand bits and pieces of larger ideas he tries to present but ya hurts my brain too.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh Crimson guitars is great. I was in a phase where I was trying to learn to build...because I was house hunting, and planned on having a work area...then the housing market exploded and that pipe dream went right out the window.. I still watch that channel and the highline guitars dude for learning how to build even though I can't right now. The highline guitars dude doesn't have the highest production value, but I feel like he has good tips for the solo garage guitar building people.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve watched a music channel in about 2 years. Maybe it’s because of lockdown and not buying gear anymore but I don’t use YouTube much anymore except for Warhammer fan animations, new music videos and the odd trailer or game/film review.

The double ads you can’t skip, reaction videos prioritised no matter what you search, 2 minute videos dragged out to 10+ Etc etc

I get making consistent high quality content is hard work but how quick channels I like drop in quality is always surprising.

')