I find music youtubers really annoying...

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
for (actually funny) meme shit:
rudy ayoub
bradley hall

for music theory that hurts my brain:
8 bit music theory

gear demos:
brett kingman
leon todd
plague scythe (his sound is hit or miss but he does put out some interesting deep dives )
ola
pariah vs (not a fan of his tones but he tests some neat stuff)
jeremy vallao (or however it's spelled)
arnoldplays (his sound is hit or miss but I like how in depth he gets with reviews)
rabea

I poke around and watch smaller channels wayyyy more than I watch the bigger names just to give me a more complete picture of how a piece of gear can sound.

Fuck faq vids.
Reaction vids are the lowest effort dogshit and I hate them with every fiber of my being.
EDIT: I meant jeremy varao, not vallao.
submancometh has some cool demos. Dude has an insane collection and he's a good player.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
But how exactly are musicians supposed to make money now that the record industry has been murdered by millenials stealing music online instead of buying it and nobody going to concerts anymore because of corvid 19? The only other option is to just go on youtube and get famous selling stuff like misha mansour and keith marrow.

DjentyBoi7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a jerk.
And honestly, if you have a million people following your channel, then kuddos to you,
you are obviously offering content that people seem to like.
I don't want to be a hater. I just find a lot of them arrogant and annoying.

Jared Dines, Rick Beato, Steve T, MusicIsWin etc etc...

some are less annoying than others.

I enjoy guys like Rob Scallion, or Adam Neely because they feel like they are generally excited about what they're doing and are "sharing" with the viewer, rather than "explaining" to the viewer.

I was reading an article the other day about being a youtuber, and it said that if you don't constantly put out videos, the algorithm kinda screws you over. So thats why you see these guys putting videos out CONSTANLY. And obviously if you have to make content at that rate, its obviously not gonna all be Grade A quality. This is why I always see a title like "I just bought a 60$ Guitar online!!! Does it sound good?!?!?!" accompanied by a thumbnail of someone with their eyes really wide holding something close to their face. God, I hate that shit.

Does anyone else feel this way? Just curious. Are there some youtubers you prefer to others?
Thanks for listening to my rant

Agreed, I feel like a lot of music YouTubers in the modern day are getting less creative. Although I do aim to be a popular music YouTuber, I really had to tell myself to shut up and play the guitar, because I don't want to completely sell out to the mUsIc MeMe ViDeOs like Davie504 (even though unfortunately that is what gets views instead of original music content).

Old Romans

Old Яomans
Reaction score
It's a good thing that there is such a variety. That's why cable channels sell packages and not individual channels....because only you know what you like. Pick some channels; YouTube is full of good information but you have to also be willing to listen. There doesn't NEED to be loyalty to YouTube channels, you don't HAVE TO subscribe, just explore. but if you are looking for a serious, comprehensive guitar lesson, maybe you should pay for one; there are lots of threads about which course is best, or hire a local teacher.

MSS

Reaction score
I’m down to a few. Ola, Fluff, Leon Todd and Arnold. I don’t watch every video and if I can’t skip the ad in 6 seconds, I don’t watch it at all.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased, but I love having tons of guitar related content on Youtube to keep me busy, because I love playing guitar, writing music, collecting and exploring gear. People complain about Youtube like they have to watch it. I think we're all extremely fortunate to have it as a source of entertainment, education, or infotainment, where we get to hand pick what we want to watch, when we want to watch it, for free.

I will continue to watch great channels and get inspired by them, rather than mindlessly surf Netflix for background noise when I'm working on guitars or amps

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
I kinda feel like that's just how YouTube works, you make silly thumbnails and too much content. Gotta wade through the endless content to find gems of info, share 'em if you find 'em

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
You have to be in the right mood. Stevie T is like Jim Carrey- amazing, broken, and & loathed by some.
Fluff gave up everything and went all in so mad respect there, plus I like his vids.
Fricker reminds me of that guy Black who is on Comedy Central, interesting but hard to take for too long.

All in all, I'm happy to have guitar-oriented shows available

nightflameauto

Reaction score
You have to be in the right mood. Stevie T is like Jim Carrey- amazing, broken, and & loathed by some.
Fluff gave up everything and went all in so mad respect there, plus I like his vids.
Fricker reminds me of that guy Black who is on Comedy Central, interesting but hard to take for too long.

All in all, I'm happy to have guitar-oriented shows available
Comparing Fricker to Louis Black is a huge disservice to Louis Black. Not all angry ranters are on the same level.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
EytschPi42 is pretty decent.

His recent review on the Ibanez azns is quiet informative and unbiased i found.

admgloval

Reaction score
Brett Kingman and Leon Todd are both great sites, been following them for years. I also like to watch the videos that StewMac puts out with Dan Erlewine. Most of the guitar review youtubers annoy me. I used to watch Ola and still do from time to time but mostly just to look at specific gear reviews. Also Sweetwater's videos can be good and informative at times.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Brett Kingman and Leon Todd are both great sites, been following them for years. I also like to watch the videos that StewMac puts out with Dan Erlewine. Most of the guitar review youtubers annoy me. I used to watch Ola and still do from time to time but mostly just to look at specific gear reviews. Also Sweetwater's videos can be good and informative at times.

Bergs is the best. He's very responsive on social media too. He helped me track down some pedals and with the purchase of an Eastman guitar.

I play music

Reaction score
But how exactly are musicians supposed to make money now that the record industry has been murdered by millenials stealing music online instead of buying it and nobody going to concerts anymore because of corvid 19? The only other option is to just go on youtube and get famous selling stuff like misha mansour and keith marrow.
wait wait wait millenials don't steal music, they stream it on spotify .. and spotify gives all the money to the big artists

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a jerk.
And honestly, if you have a million people following your channel, then kuddos to you,
you are obviously offering content that people seem to like.
I don't want to be a hater. I just find a lot of them arrogant and annoying.

Jared Dines, Rick Beato, Steve T, MusicIsWin etc etc...

some are less annoying than others.

I enjoy guys like Rob Scallion, or Adam Neely because they feel like they are generally excited about what they're doing and are "sharing" with the viewer, rather than "explaining" to the viewer.

I was reading an article the other day about being a youtuber, and it said that if you don't constantly put out videos, the algorithm kinda screws you over. So thats why you see these guys putting videos out CONSTANLY. And obviously if you have to make content at that rate, its obviously not gonna all be Grade A quality. This is why I always see a title like "I just bought a 60$ Guitar online!!! Does it sound good?!?!?!" accompanied by a thumbnail of someone with their eyes really wide holding something close to their face. God, I hate that shit.

Does anyone else feel this way? Just curious. Are there some youtubers you prefer to others?
Thanks for listening to my rant
Beatooffers tremendous insights and professional ettiquete lessons worth even more. I like Ola because he gives me insight into a metal world Im not otherwise gonna take time to care about but other than that its just gear gear gear and Im a player. Sometimes I like a gear distraction but generally I simply care about music... I love that I can google up Steve Howe or Robert Quine any time I want and the acess to information is astounding. Growing up in the 80's I was just stuck with some dude who looked like a bloom county character who played a charvel single pickup who worked at a music store and a few magazines and took me months to find Steve Vai's Flexable (this was long before DLR). Now stuff is vast and even if they annoy you that is valuable info. Figure out what annoys you and why. Better musicians tend to be curious and use what annoys them to focus their style and abilities. Also, you should know some are definitely trying to annoy you, dont give them that power.

')