I fucking HATE YouTube Music.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
So Google Play Music is yet again, no longer a thing. Google Play Music cancelled a couple months ago, then came back and it was my go to source for music, I had quite a few playlists saved, example Feel Good (a bunch of non Metal songs that I love to relax to), Metal, Lamb of God, John Mayer, AFI, Metallica, The Beatles etc.

Now I was able to transfer all my playlists to shit ass YouTube Music, but the audio is a little compressed and drowns out some Lamb of God guitar riffs with headphones on. Also, when I put my entire library of music on shuffle, it plays the same System of a Down album Toxicity over and over with the same Meshuggah songs too. Don't get me wrong, I love SOAD and Meshuggah, but I like to listen to a variety of music, so hearing the same album over and over gets stale with YouTube music.

I know there is the option of Spotify, but I don't have any experience with it and I sure as fuck don't want to add the 1000+ songs to Spotify.

I'm pissed because I bought so many albums before I did the $10 a month subscription. I hope Google Play Movies doesn't get deleted because I bought around 30 movies for $15 each on my Samsung Smart TV. Fuck YouTube Music.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Acme

Reaction score
There are loads of tutorials about how to transfer your playlist from one platform to the other. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do it. I cannot recommend Spotify enough.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
There are loads of tutorials about how to transfer your playlist from one platform to the other. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do it. I cannot recommend Spotify enough.

Okay, how is the audio with Spotify? I really, really hate how YouTube music has compressed some of my favorite guitar riffs on some songs.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I don’t know, what did you expect from these greedy companies?
I buy mostly physical or MP3 albums and put them on your phone/laptop/cloud etc., a bit more work but it’s all mine and I can use it how I want.

That's what I used to do as well, it is a bit more work, but the convenience of one click on my phone became the new norm and super easy.

Acme

Reaction score
Okay, how is the audio with Spotify? I really, really hate how YouTube music has compressed some of my favorite guitar riffs on some songs.
Unfortunately they don't have a lossless option. 320kbps is the max bitrate you can select. Having said that, I used to listen everything in FLAC and I don't find that I am losing such a huge amount of definition by listening songs in 320kbps.

Splenetic

Reaction score
My friend goes on and on and on and on about Tidal in terms of audio quality. They do have hi-def streams, but I don't know how their selection is. They also pay out more to the artists than most other streaming services afaik, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had a good and growing selection. Might be worth looking into if it must be a streaming service.

brector

Reaction score
My friend goes on and on and on and on about Tidal in terms of audio quality. They do have hi-def streams, but I don't know how their selection is. They also pay out more to the artists than most other streaming services afaik, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had a good and growing selection. Might be worth looking into if it must be a streaming service.
I haven't tried Tidal, but Qobuz is the same deal w/ HD audio available. I have purchased quite a few albums from them and you have the option to stream them as well.

CM_X5

Reaction score
Worst part is offline, on Youtube Music you get a list of all the albums downloaded and that's it. No sort by Artist or playlist.

Reaction score
I just downloaded a new music player app. It was free with upgrades for little money. Paid it, no regrets

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed YouTube Misic isn't worth the hassle. Google Play was much better. It sucks when you pay for music on a service and then the service stops, so you can no longer access what you paid for.

You could spring for Tidal and the same thing could happen to them.

I llike to keep a hard drive with tons of music on it in case. It's amazing how much music you can store. But, I don't play games.

VibTDog

who farted?
Reaction score
Youtube always plays the most listened to songs on the playlist, which is so annoying. When I bought my first movie on Google Play a couple years ago, it said something to the affect of "this movie is good until 2023", so I limit what I buy and really try to get physical copies of everything.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I still buy physical CDs by my favorite bands because I want to support them and their record sales, but being able to stream any album I want for $10 a month was so easy.

I'm just choked that Google Play Music shutdown and I can't access the shit that I already bought from Google Play that I couldn't buy on CD.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
So Google Play Music is yet again, no longer a thing. Google Play Music cancelled a couple months ago, then came back and it was my go to source for music, I had quite a few playlists saved, example Feel Good (a bunch of non Metal songs that I love to relax to), Metal, Lamb of God, John Mayer, AFI, Metallica, The Beatles etc.

Now I was able to transfer all my playlists to shit ass YouTube Music, but the audio is a little compressed and drowns out some Lamb of God guitar riffs with headphones on. Also, when I put my entire library of music on shuffle, it plays the same System of a Down album Toxicity over and over with the same Meshuggah songs too. Don't get me wrong, I love SOAD and Meshuggah, but I like to listen to a variety of music, so hearing the same album over and over gets stale with YouTube music.

I know there is the option of Spotify, but I don't have any experience with it and I sure as fuck don't want to add the 1000+ songs to Spotify.

I'm pissed because I bought so many albums before I did the $10 a month subscription. I hope Google Play Movies doesn't get deleted because I bought around 30 movies for $15 each on my Samsung Smart TV. Fuck YouTube Music.

Did you toggle high quality audio in the settings?

And I'm not getting that issue you have with shuffling your library on my end.

Library -> Songs -> YT Music -> Shuffle All

upload_2020-12-4_18-9-21.pngupload_2020-12-4_18-10-30.pngupload_2020-12-4_18-11-39.pngupload_2020-12-4_18-13-2.png

It consistently just shuffles my entire songlist, are you doing it with any other method?

Google Play was better, and Youtube Music has a ways to go. But for someone who just needs tunes at work or in transit, it does exactly what I need it to do :shrug:

If I want lossless audio, I listen with my setup at home with my localized music collection. If I stream I can listen to what I want anywhere else, it's not meant to replace all of my other avenues for listening to music.

Bodes

Reaction score
I am now using VLC player. Not bad. Not super awesome.
Muuuuuuuuuuch better than youtube music.
I like the sort by band/album and random shuffle, but I regularly get three songs in a row from the same band. Not a terrible thing, as I like almost every song in my phone, but I chose shuffle as I don't know which album to listen to.

gnoll

Reaction score
I use Spotify, it's so convenient. But I don't seem to listen to playlists a lot, I just search up songs or albums I want to listen to, or I might use the radio function to find new stuff. I don't think I could store all the music I listen to, it's just too much, so streaming seems like the only way.

Audio quality I have no idea about, I don't know if I can even hear a difference, I'm not exactly an audiophile and my hearing isn't great so...

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I'll also recommend Spotify. Quality is very good imo. I've found a ton of bands through the discovery weekly playlist and the genre specific playlists. Spotify is one of the best things I spend my money on if I'm being honest and it comes with Hulu haha

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
The positive with Youtube Music/Ex-Google Play Music is that you had your own personal music vault. So for anything missing in the stock archive of music, you can fill in the gaps.

A lot of amazing soundtracks and albums that I listen to that wouldn't be online. Or incomplete discographies for example.

Dayn

Reaction score
I swapped to iBroadcast for my phone. I can cast to my TV, and although it's a bit clunky, you can upload your own library to use with it like you could with Google Music.

Not as elegant, but does the job for me. Though all of my music is either CD rips or downloaded FLACs without any DRM attached.

')