I got my Strictly 7 Boden and....

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
That totally looks like a cracked knot to me. I saw the S7 video mentioned in the OP and the worm holes they showed on the guitars were literal holes in the wood.

THAT BEING SAID..... Its still absurd that this ever even got finished as a guitar. Such a glaring visual flaw is unacceptable ESPECIALLY on a natural oil finish. A friend of mine got an off the peg S7 that seemed defect free but after seeing this I know I will NEVER order anything S7. I hope Leonardo gets everything worked out between him Ola and S7. I know this isn't necessarily Olas fault but at this point the damage has been done.

The thing that sucks is now Im a little leary of ordering a washburn boden. If all goes well I should be able to order one by the fall but I will for sure be waiting untill a bunch of them are shipped and reviewed. I wasnt an S7 basher from the start but now that they have proven themselves unable, I will wait untill washburn proves themselves. It sucks but like I said the damage has been done at this point :(

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Did anyone notice in the pics that S7 of their new bass that the batteries are TAPED down in the control cavity?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Really sucks to see this Alain.

Also, props to Ola for posting here, plenty of other builders we know wouldn't make the effort to reach out like that.

baryton

Reaction score
Leonardo you're not the first one, i had the same kind of issue with my Boden, I did not want to speak about it here but after all with the response i had from Jim i don't see why i would not do that....

here some pics about my issues and you can see also a wormhole on the 6th pics down to the red circle...
https://plus.google.com/photos/100934562882086147165/albums/5869653545128168673?banner=pwa

Jim told me that this is a "natural character" of the wood...

I did not mention that i have a little worm hole too on the walnut top just up of the bridge

When i bought it at Guitar Candy i asked for a 1 step down tuning, Bart putted a 11/49 set + 0.59 ( Finally I putted a 0.62)
After days of playing i begun to hear some weird sound, some buzz from the Bridge, Jim yelled at me in a video that's my fault because the nut was built with specific string gauge and not the new one i putted one...
I have also on the bridge a blocked screw (low action) for the high B string (for me a A)

Paul and Allan were very professionnal and give the answers i needed about my buzz issue, I had also a very nice video from Curran Murphy who explains how to fixe it...

But Jim's answer... i made a mail to apologize about my possible overeaction and never has a reply... I really felt like yelling at me

despite all this shit this guitar stills awesome to play, I really fall in love with headless, the ergonomy of the body and this Endureneck is just awesome and pleasant to play...

geofreesun

Reaction score
^ wow i totally did not expect to see this coming! so many worm holes and now i am really worried about mine. give me a few more days and i will post pix when mine arrives.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
When I read that your guitar had worm holes, I assumed you meant this:

wormhole.jpg

I was disappointed.

Last edited:

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
That's totally unacceptable. I'm sorry that you've been so badly bent over. Where is the accountability?

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
I know someone who is waiting for a Boden 7, who has been waiting for a long long long time, after being told conflicting information about how far along it was several times. It looks like you guys have a lot of stuff to get to with S7G at the moment. Thanks for reaching out to the community and setting things right!

Jim told me this on the 27th of March: "Just wanted to let you know your Boden will be finishing up in the next 1-3 weeks".

He then told me later that neither the body nor the neck was done yet. I know the BFR guys have waited longer on customs, but I still don't feel great about a custom I've paid in full for being delayed for 4 months.

I'm honestly thinking about cutting my losses and selling the spot.

JSanta

Reaction score
I did end up selling my Boden 8, but not because it wasn't a nice guitar, just playing archtops now. What you've experienced is unacceptable. I saw the post on facebook earlier and wondered what it was about, and obviously this is it. Really sorry that something like this happened, I would have been devastated if mine had come out like that. Let us know what the resolution is.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I give this company a year or two, tops.

You don't treat customers like crap and get away with it these days.

They were on the plate for me but I went Skervesen instead because of all the crap I hear about S7G. (and because Skervesen just kills on them on looks, wood selection, communication, etc...)

They had lots of promise but you can't run a company like this and be successful. ESPECIALLY a custom guitar company. The customers are pretty darn discerning and there is plenty of competition around. Competition with great communication, faster build times and better guitars.

Shape up or ship out, S7G. I'm glad the Olas (Strandberg and Englund) have moved on. Maybe the decrease in orders will turn this ship around.

Jedi_Ekim

Reaction score
I'm weird. I really like odd pieces of wood.

But I sure as heck wouldn't expect anything like that without plenty of warning beforehand, as well as lots pics of the unfinished body before they started working on it. My only concern would be structural but on a horn... I'd probably say "go for it" regardless.

This sure doesn't look good for this company, especially for the price paid. The sad thing is what custom folks out there do good work? It sure seems like every time a small custom shop opens up they get backed up to a ridiculous degree and then crank out crap or go MIA.

Zado

Reaction score
mmmm oooook, let's keep buying under 1000€ non-custom guitars.You know,I prefer instruments with less....character:ugh:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Christ looking at the bodens on their Facebook is horrendous, I can't imagine why they don't do Natural finishes more often. The treatment of these woods is ridiculous.

923066_473634822711696_1369773781_n.jpg

That small black spot looks worrying, and definitely unexpected.

405666_473637159378129_597877768_n.jpg

Aesthetic, but what the hell is up with that stuff on the binding?

Honestly, I found it beyond suspicious when Acle jumped ship before he even got his custom. Ola joining and playing the Solars was encouraging, but everyone's been jumping ship. Josh Travis also silently left, which was pretty surprising, even more so that they held up on the road from his playing and abuse haha.

mmmm oooook, let's keep buying under 1000€ non-custom guitars.You know,I prefer instruments with less....character

Couldn't agree more, I'm sticking to production instruments. At least when a flaw is evident the company has to provide support and can't just ignore your calls. They're supposed to be held by their word.

mniel8195

Reaction score
im confused how ola decided to start this relationship in the first place??? if anything i think it devalues his brand just as much as strictly 7.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
im confused how ola decided to start this relationship in the first place??? if anything i think it devalues his brand just as much as strictly 7.

To be fair SSG had seemingly stepped up their game when Strandberg signed on with them, I just don't think they can handle QC in any sort of volume. Jim has gotten as far as he has on charisma and price point, not consistentsy.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
That's completely unacceptable on even a $200 guitar. How the hell are these guys even still in business?

In the video posted, they complain about how humidity is affecting their guitars and causing problems.... My first thought was "THEN ....ING MOVE!!" Your business is dealing with wood and creating guitars worth multiple thousands of dollars, not putting strings on driftwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')