I got my Strictly 7 Boden and....

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
with the exception of Keith Merrow, after the fact of course.

The thing that upset me about this is that people were criticizing Keith about it, saying he was trying to bad-mouth the company. I even saw a well-known guitar builder jab at Keith for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The thing that upset me about this is that people were criticizing Keith about it, saying he was trying to bad-mouth the company. I even saw a well-known guitar builder jab at Keith for it.

Well, considering how long it went on for, him getting shitty guitars, it probably would have been nice having known these issues sooner, so I can see the criticism there.

Honestly, between BRJ and S7, Keith is the typhoid Mary of endrosees. I won't touch anything he does. :rofl:

There will always be folks that have differing opinions, and luckily, differing opinions don't cause cancer, so it's fine. I'm not surprised if other builders lashed out, being scrutinized isn't fun. Out of curiosity, I'm not into FB drama, but who was this "well-known" guitar builder?

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
I dunno, Max. I've met some pretty nutty conspiracy theorists that is asked will probably link opposing opinions to cancer somehow via some online 'expert'.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't remember who exactly

You sure? In the PM you sent me you seemed pretty sure about it being Tom, the guy who specs out the BlacKat guitars that Skervesen builds.

Sorry if I'm throwing you under the proverbial bus here, but it would be quite hypocritical of me if I wasn't willing to be truthful here, while criticizing others for not doing so.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Correct on your thinking, Max. I remember from the thread. But at the same time he had a good point. Why wait so long to say something? But, in all fairness I think Keith was trying to give them the chance to make it right and when he got fed up he said something. But to also be fair, when you are ticked isn't the best time to say something either, even if it does need to be said. :2c:

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding endorsements ...

Two months ago I did not know who the hell Keith Merrow or Ola Englund were, and I also did not know they were related to S7G. Moreover, I just went to S7G's website and I do not recognize any of their current artists.

The reason I paid the deposit for a Boden 7 back in December, was that Ola Strandberg was explicitly endorsing S7G by the mere act of picking them as the manufacturers of the Boden line.

Who to F am I to say that Ola Strandberg is wrong when he says that a particular shop will do a great job of building his guitars?? Who the hell am I to doubt his experience of multiple decades as a guitar builder?? Who are any of you guys to say that Ola Strandberg is wrong when he says that a particular shop will do a good job??

Obviously he must have seen something good in them. Obviously something must have changed between the time they signed the deal and today. What changed? I have no idea.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You sure? In the PM you sent me you seemed pretty sure about it being Tom, the guy who specs out the BlacKat guitars that Skervesen builds.

Sorry if I'm throwing you under the proverbial bus here, but it would be quite hypocritical of me if I wasn't willing to be truthful here, while criticizing others for not doing so.

I forgot to edit that post when I sent the PM. My mistake. Was going through another forum while trying to find it and I lost track. :wallbash:

But yeah, it was the guy from BlacKat. I apologize if I made it look like I was hiding something.

EDIT: Also, I re-read that thread where all this took place, and it seems they cleared things up between each other.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who to F am I to say that Ola Strandberg is wrong when he says that a particular shop will do a great job of building his guitars?? Who the hell am I to doubt his experience of multiple decades as a guitar builder?? Who are any of you guys to say that Ola Strandberg is wrong when he says that a particular shop will do a good job??

Just to be realistic, Ola built a handful of guitars over those decades before designing his current headless system and starting to build them. That has exploded for him in a relatively short period of time. He has not been involved with guitar building on any large scale until recently and while what he has done is incredible I can completely see how he could have mistakenly chosen S7. Also note that that's not a knock on Ola at all, I'm sure S7 put on a hell of a dog and pony show and made a lot of promises they obviously couldn't follow through on.

Personally the number of S7 guitars posted with issues on here were MORE than enough for me to have stayed clear of them from the beginning :2c: Then again if you didn't see those guitars and just saw them at NAMM and tracked them on social media they looked like a great new up-and-comer in the industry.

Skervesen builds BlacKat guitars?

Yes Skervesen builds BlacKat's guitars :lol:

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never paid attention to who plays what guitar. To be honest I don't really care if artist X is endorsing company Y's guitar. I become interested in a guitar if I feel it suits my purposes functionally and aesthetically. I'm actually more of a function over form guy. Anyways I've dealt with S7 and managed to get a Boden 8 which turned out absolutely tits. I don't know if I'm lucky or if the fact that I maintained contact with Curran throughout the build made any difference. I've had nothing but positive experiences with those guys. That said I am not justifying what happened regarding that Boden that Leonardo got. That shit looks way rough and in no way should have left the shop without contacting him regarding those flaws.

It seems that the inherent properties of wood has become somewhat subjective. I think a smart thing for S7 to do is to check in with the customer if the wood has some natural flaws that some may deem unacceptable. Maybe sourcing better wood is the answer, I really don't know. It seems that they are a very small outfit that is highly overstressed. This obviously has led to some bad shit happening and now it may become detrimental to their business which is a shame. They honestly do love doing what they do.

To be honest I don't feel that they are on the level of BRJ by any stretch. They have offered to make it right regarding Leonardo's Boden by offering a choice of 12 different bodies. (at least that's what i think I read in Curran's post) I don't see BRJ doing much of anything yet. I do hope he does though. There should be more communication between S7 and their customers. Maybe they should hire someone to answer the emails and do the updates so the other guys are free to build and run the business. I'm hoping one day to post a NGD with my Boden 8 without having to have to wear an asbestos suit and hardhat as I feel that its an amazing instrument and I consider myself lucky to have it.

I would like to hear the outcome of Leonardo's situation and see if thing's are made right.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping one day to post a NGD with my Boden 8 without having to have to wear an asbestos suit and hardhat as I feel that its an amazing instrument and I consider myself lucky to have it.

Please, don't be silly :) Help me feel better while I continue to wait for my Boden 7. Do the NGD!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It seems that the inherent properties of wood has become somewhat subjective. I think a smart thing for S7 to do is to check in with the customer if the wood has some natural flaws that some may deem unacceptable. Maybe sourcing better wood is the answer, I really don't know. It seems that they are a very small outfit that is highly overstressed. This obviously has led to some bad shit happening and now it may become detrimental to their business which is a shame. They honestly do love doing what they do.

Yes, they do - thing is that maintaining sustained growth is a key factor for any company, which implies understanding what the possible workload for a given period is, how much the production capacity can be increased within reasonable price and time points, and where to fit orders timewise. All of these are impossible to maintain if the work team is forced to permanently work at the very limit of its capacity, whilst accumulating QC functions and, in Jim's case, all the management aspects as well. This leaves zero margin for error at the same time it introduces more mistakes along the course of each production run.

This company is undermining itself at this rate, and it is incredibly hard to pick oneself up when the view of the buying public is that of displicent time estimation estimates leading to large delays, faulty QC making your guitar a game of roulette and apparent customer support inaccessibility making everything harder to solve from the get go. I most certainly would NOT like to be in those shoes.

I'm hoping one day to post a NGD with my Boden 8 without having to have to wear an asbestos suit and hardhat as I feel that its an amazing instrument and I consider myself lucky to have it.

I would like to hear the outcome of Leonardo's situation and see if thing's are made right.

Online, the key word for many a response is "extreme". Many people polarize around the negatives and will look upon a positive example as if it is almost a product of witchcraft. What I believe is often misunderstood is that a company that only makes crap (which isn't the case here) is far, FAR less dangerous than one that manages to spit out unacceptable messes as well as proper instruments, as this dilutes both feedbacks and makes people who only see the good ones not consider anything risky as there is no dud they know of. Prior to the onslaught of BRJ's with "innovative features", a lot of people would swear by them blindly, for example.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not really surprised to read this after having the chance to be at the Boden booth at Musikmesse this year.

I really love the concept behind these, but after seeing them in person i realized that they should have been more carefully when upscaling production.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
So I was told last week that in three weeks there will be 12 bodies for me to chose from. Lets see if and when that actually happens.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
So I was told last week that in three weeks there will be 12 bodies for me to chose from. Lets see if and when that actually happens.

How did you do that? I'm only waiting for one and do not have an ETA yet!

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
FWIW, I always thought Strictly 7 was an odd name for a company that built 6, 7, and 8's :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')