I got the quote for my 8 string......

• Thread starter Nick1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Chris, that's a BlackMachine guitar, right? I played one at NAMM. It sucked, IMO. If you're going above 7 strings or 27" scale length, you must have fanned frets. Otherwise, you're basically playing bass, not guitar. It's impossible to play guitar-oriented lead parts on a guitar with frets that wide apart.
I've not seen any reviews of the 8-string yet, but the 6 & 7 string models get very good reviews. I do agree though that a 30" scale length is OTT without fanned frets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the EMG bass pickups, they have much higher resonant frequencies than the humbucker models which translates to them sounding much brighter. The CS will come closest but you'll need to run it through an SPC or VQC to boost the mids if that's the tone you're after. Even then.....
Another better option (imo) would be to have custom pickups wound for the tone you want, regardless of output, and running them through an Afterburner to buffer the signal and boost it if necessary.

chris9

Reaction score
conklin guitars are not cheep but they are worth every penny my 9 is bloody mint!!!!!!!!!!!! it plays and sounds perfect and the finish is perfection i would recomend to get a conklin.

chris9

Reaction score
Chris said:
Aye, I'm not a big fan of the design either. I don't like it at all, to be honest. But I'd still love to own one. :D

i,m still waiting for my lgm 8 string its been almost a year so i hope its worth the wait

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
chris9 said:
conklin guitars are not cheep but they are worth every penny my 9 is bloody mint!!!!!!!!!!!! it plays and sounds perfect and the finish is perfection i would recomend to get a conklin.
c'mon man pics atleast!! :bowdown:

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Asking "Anyone besides X" isn't a diss. It's asking for othe options before throwing a couple grand into a guitar. And if you have a problem with what osmeone says to you in a PM, then tell a mod through a PM, don't go into a public thread crying about it because someone is pissing you off, even if the mod s in the thread aswell.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Going out on a limb, I think nick1 was just kidding around - I only use the :fawk: smiley when I'm joking with someone, at any rate - I mean, it's got this big, hard-to-miss grin in the middle... ;) Either way, yeah, if you have any concerns, there's a reason there's a "forward" function on PM's. We're not here to babysit, but if ever the "outright harrassment" line is crossed, we will intervene.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
JimmyTheSaint said:
Not by everyone, apparently. Check out this PM Nick1 just sent me:

Have you seen the way we mods talk to each other? That's a term of endearment around here! :D Anyhow, let's get back to the discussion at hand please.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Right...So anyway Nick1, you should look into the option of having the body and neck built for you, and then you do the assembling yourself. Like, for example, www.monsterguitarshop.com , that I suggested earlier has prices for necks (125 base) and bodies (175 for an 8 string) so just the bare woods at those prices is 300 bucks. Then if you were to get a nut cut, and buy an 8 string bridge, and the pickups/controls/jacks (which I believe would all come together with the EMG?) then buy tuning pegs and you're all set aside from the finish that you may want, which you can get someone else to do for you (monsterguitarshop told me they would do mine if i wanted it done, but they get someone else to do it and its costly supposeably)

It may take a little while to gather everything...but aside from sending it away to get painted, it wont be too long if you know where to look. In the end it will be much cheaper then say, a conklin (respectively)

Nick1

Reaction score
I found a local builder that is going to do the 8 string project with me!!! Hes gonna cut the pieces and sand it and finish it! Im gonna do the rest!!!
So it will be totally cheaper!!!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Nick1 said:
I found a local builder that is going to do the 8 string project with me!!! Hes gonna cut the pieces and sand it and finish it! Im gonna do the rest!!!
So it will be totally cheaper!!!

:yesway: Good luck!

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like a good project for you man. Enjoy it! Then you'll be able to make your own next time around!

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Whoa, that sounds like a good project! Its still going to be alot of work. The key to building guitars is having the right tools. When you start trying to pry a fretboard off with home made steaming tools consisting of a tube running out of a tea pot with an air needle is where trouble starts!

I think the reason Conklin charges so much isnt just one factor alone. I think its everything people have said here and on other forums about the subject. One thing I havent read though is that if you build 36 guitars or so a year, you tend to charge prices like that(such as David Thomas McNaught and other botique builders that make bout 25 guitars a year).

Also, I think they are the best at this extended range instrument thing. I think they've built more exteneded range instruments than any other company giving them a huge advantage of experience in the field. You can charge for that too...Its like having a high school diploma v. a doctorate.

Either way, good luck man.
Neslo

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Conklin Guitars

Base Prices for Guitars:
6 String - $3600
7 String - $3900
8 String - $4200
9 String - $4500 :nuts:
12 String - $3900

================== Instead >

http://www.novaxguitars.com/

Have an 8 or 9 string fretboard made to fit your 7 neck.

Send it to novax > he'll do the Fan Fret install on it.

Install on the 7 neck along with two extra tuners.

Install Pick Up of your choice.

Install Bridge of your choice.

Pocket $4K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')