I guess I suck for having an 8 string...

• Thread starter ashea66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ashea66

Reaction score
Ive been catching a bit of bullshit for buying an rg2228 lately. I assure you, nothing that anybody says will make me trade this guitar for anything. I am actually in love with it haha. But seriously, has anyone else been taked down because of our purchase? i know that were all supposed to be in "djent" bands because of it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AySay

Banned
Reaction score
A musician criticizing another musician for choosing to play an instrument that simply expands his range without any negative aspects is DUMB AS A FUCKING SACK OF ROCKS COATED IN SHIT DIPPED IN SARAH PALINS BLOOD.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
Fuck 'em. Truly, anybody who holds your choice in a fucking instrument against you is a dropkick anyway. It's the reason for the choice, not the instrument itself, that matters more. If you bought an 8 because you like the instrument, then congratulations! The job of your instrument is complete.

I can understand annoyance at the 8-string wagonjumpers that exist, but that doesn't validate boorish shit like that, as I think most of us will agree.

eclipsex1

Reaction score
There will always be people like that, no matter what the subject at hand may be. You just have to ignore it, or one up them. And you have an eight string. You've already one-upped them. :hbang:

powergroover

monster death chunk
Reaction score
i get a lot of reactions like that, even with a 7's :shrug:
people thinks i must be an uber shredder just because i play 7's
while in truth . . . . . i wish i could shred :lol:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I catch that shit about 7's as well as when I talk about wanting an 8. lol

it's always the same thing...

"if you need more than 6 strings you suck"
I also catch that with lower tunings in general..
"if you use lower than Eb tuning you just suck"

Personally I like 7's because I can play in B and still have the full range of a standard tuned 6 + the extra notes. People around here don't realize that unlike some bands, I look at the 7 as extra notes, not just "zomg lower = teh br00talz"

Aerospace274

Scotty G!
Reaction score
You know what you can do to stop people from thinking you're in a band that focuses on one single technique? (a la djent) Prove them wrong! :nono: Do some 8 string arpeggios or sweep through every string, something that's not open F#! I think I get more use out of my 8 on a clean setting than with gain or distortion, lol.

If you can show people that you don't suck, they'll stop thinking so. Out class them! Also I've never actually been discriminated against for my 8. People kind of look at me funny til they ask me what it is but people around here don't seem to mind too much, haha lucky me. I think it's wrong that people seem to judge others for their choice of instrument but by picking up the 8(or 8+), we all kinda turned into a minority. We're not real well represented in the music scene yet. Gonna have to go through the same shit that 7 strings went through back in the day I'd imagine.

Haunted

Dedicated Headbanger
Reaction score
I get the opposite response from musicians and people generally....
its like: WOW! an 8 string? really? I have to see\hear\play that shit

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
As for me, I live in the middle of hicktown kansas, it's hard to convince people that the extra strings aren't useless. lol

I usually have done a jam with a band around here where I used my 7 for clean two handed tapping kind of stuff, some still seem to pull the whole "leave the low end to the bassist" kind of attitude with me. lol

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Meh... Play what you like. A lot of the time ppl see it and they immediately want to ask shit like "Well what do you use the extra strings for?" and if they heard you play w/o having seen your instrument a lot of the time they wouldn't know the difference.

I say fuck 'em...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
You know what you can do to stop people from thinking you're in a band that focuses on one single technique? (a la djent) Prove them wrong! :nono: Do some 8 string arpeggios or sweep through every string, something that's not open F#! I think I get more use out of my 8 on a clean setting than with gain or distortion, lol.

This 100%...

This is exactly what I've been doing since I got my 8. So much fun! :lol:

And I find that since I don't spam the low string ppl tend to want to hear you play it more... What the hell? :nuts:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i just got an 8 string. but then again. im known for slappin down bitches that talk shit ;)

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
When I brought my 2228 into Elderly instruments (prick-town central) the only comments were,

"Holy shit!"

I think that was out of shock rather than distaste.

')