I guess I suck for having an 8 string...

• Thread starter ashea66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Funniest comment I got was : "How many string is there on a guitar? Yours looks weird.".
When I bring it to try gears in shops I usualy get the : " wowww! WTH is that thing??!??" or the "8 strings? That's stupid!". Either way, I don't really care :lol:
I got the "leave it to the bass player" once but well, I'm the bass player in my band :D using an 8 string as a bass is fun.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ Someone at work told me that the other day... "Just get a bass if you want low notes..." What if I want to play (or write) music that requires the range of both instruments without having to seek out extra ppl? I then went on to tell him that I have 2 basses... Both of which have 5 strings... "You're a massachist..."

Oh... Well okay then. :lol:

Wanting more ranges doesn't really change what the instrument is, per se. :shrug:

mountainjam

Reaction score
I can't believe any respectable musician would talk Shit on an 8, only losers that can't play worth a Damn on their sixer. Im currently waiting for my rga8 which is on backorder, and everyone I've talked to has just given me the wow factor, nothing negative.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
My friend gave me shit for buying a 7. He said why don't you just tune your 6 lower. I just shook my head and said you are missing the point...

saovi

Reaction score
Point is, who are they to tell you what you can do with your creative vision and sound anyway? Get completely awesome with your 8 string, wood shed it extensively, and forget about small minded chaps who put it down who can neither break out of the 80s or understand why ERGs are important to today's music.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
This whole thing kind of reminds me of Spinal Tap...

"Why don't you just make 10 louder?"

Granted... His mod actually has less of a point to it than extending an instrument's range. :lol:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I used to get shit on my 6 for strapping my guitar too high, at a show some guy was badgering me during setup LOWER YOUR GUITAR DUDE, DUDE LOWER YOUR FUCKING GUITAR WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU.

So I turned around and shredded in his face and he shut up.

I also get a ton of people going wtf :scratch: when I whip out my pendulum since its a 7 string, multiscale, and tuned down a minor third to G#/Ab standard. My lessons teacher won't let me use it because it confuses him too much :lol:

I know this one kid who's always coming up to me going *hey hey can you like tune my guitar to F standard?* thinking hes being clever and funny and that the statements ridiculous, and I'm always just like *yeah thats not even a problem but its gonna sound like shit on your 24 3/4" scale*

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Actually, most people seem to think it's bizarre and interesting around here. The tech I go to is an old bluegrass dude that takes care of my 7s and overly metal gear, and when I showed it to him he chuckled and said he wasn't surprised that I would buy something like that.

Vidge

Reaction score
For myself, I have yet to even own a 7 let alone an 8. I just personally think I have more to accomplish on the 6 before adding another string to the mix. But ive been glancing at some 7's for my next guitar...

I will admit, I think its silly for a newbie guitarist to own anything more than a sixer for starters. The guitar is a complex instrument. Its not like piano where there are 12 keys and then they repeat. Once you learn a chord and scale, your good! You dont have to go through the trouble of learning all the different patterns and variations as you do with guitar. So for a newbie to add one or two more strings before getting a good understanding of the guitar neck with a sixer, just seems a little useless and will probably cause more confusion than necessary. Trying to run before you even know how to walk sorta thing.

Ntbillie

Reaction score
I bought a 7 string, and our Rhythm guitarist made a comment: 'You can barely play the six string..why buy a Seven?' Soo I left the Band and started a solo project.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
My friend gave me shit for buying a 7. He said why don't you just tune your 6 lower. I just shook my head and said you are missing the point...

:agreed:

Same here, they just don't get it because that is just as bad as tuning a 7 to 8 string tunings.
It's all about the tone.

saovi

Reaction score
I bought a 7 string, and our Rhythm guitarist made a comment: 'You can barely play the six string..why buy a Seven?' Soo I left the Band and started a solo project.

Just getting a 7 or 8 doesn't automatically make you a better guitarist. But it does open up more options unavailable to 6 alone.

Your old rhythm guitarist may not be trying to give you an actual insult but a heads up to improve - not a very tactful way to do it though. I've said this once here but I think the best option all the way around is to woodshed the heck out your 7 or 8 so there is no question as to its possibilities and your own mastery of it.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
i'm getting mega disrespect for an 8 and, i haven't even gotten mine yet! every one is hating on the idea.

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
Greetings fellow RG2228 user! I have come from the planet Marklar, where all 8 string players come from. We are completely separate from the human beings on this planet; most cannot comprehend our greater range on our instruments! I see that you have dealt with the subspecies of this planet they call Earth, you know, the ones who cannot understand our motives. They are quite redundant. Once, one of them came up to me and said "You've got too many strings on that there guitar, mister. Do you just play the lowest open string?" To which I replied with LASERS MOTHERFUCKER, HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM?

And then I vaporized him.

Feels good man.

Vidge

Reaction score
You are severely oversimplifying the piano.
Im not saying piano is easy to play or anything, but In the context in which I was talking, learning a C chord on piano is quite straight forward compared to learning the vast amount of variations of a C chord on guitar, etc.

So the point was, that learning all those variations and scale patterns is quite time consuming... for a 6 string. Let alone adding a 7th or an 8th.

saovi

Reaction score
For myself, I have yet to even own a 7 let alone an 8. I just personally think I have more to accomplish on the 6 before adding another string to the mix. But ive been glancing at some 7's for my next guitar...

I will admit, I think its silly for a newbie guitarist to own anything more than a sixer for starters. The guitar is a complex instrument. Its not like piano where there are 12 keys and then they repeat. Once you learn a chord and scale, your good! You dont have to go through the trouble of learning all the different patterns and variations as you do with guitar. So for a newbie to add one or two more strings before getting a good understanding of the guitar neck with a sixer, just seems a little useless and will probably cause more confusion than necessary. Trying to run before you even know how to walk sorta thing.

Wow not only are ERG disrespected but keyboard players as well? :flame: I play keyboards also along with 6 & 8 string guitar and I think your analogy is a bit of an oversimplification. On keys its not a matter of just 12 notes in a scale also but 12 keys with entirely different patterns each time you modulate. Modulation is cake on a guitar by comparison - like the key of F# to the key of G or Ab. But there are different patterns on a guitar that can do essentially the same thing so that is different.

I think if you're starting out, a 6 is a good foundation to have. When you're ready to expand to 7 or 8, you have that foundation to build on by including the lower voicing.

Jarabowa

Reaction score
A musician criticizing another musician for choosing to play an instrument that simply expands his range without any negative aspects is DUMB AS A FUCKING SACK OF ROCKS COATED IN SHIT DIPPED IN SARAH PALINS BLOOD.

I think I love you.

')