I guess I suck for having an 8 string...

• Thread starter ashea66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i live in east TX which is like country music central :( surprisingly the folks at my local music store were rather receptive when i brought my 8 up there to show them. the only real negative comment i got was from a guy i used to be in a band with who is quite a snobbish prick about a lot of things, so id expect nothing less from him.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Imperius

Reaction score
I think some people are simply intimidated by the thought of playing ERGs so their only response is negativity. I don't even have an eight string yet, but I know that when I do get it, that I'll have a 6, a 7 and an 8 all in one package. The naysayers can suck it. :fawk:

neozeke

Reaction score
HEATHENS! Those aren't guitars BAH you kids and your Joe Vai's and your Jent mocha shredders. I'm going into my van to listen to Led Zepplin and smoke pot.

Well, that's my experience at least................

Dayn

Reaction score
They're just jealous that the RG2228 does six-strings better than their six-strings can. The extra two strings just rubs in extra salt.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Trying to run before you even know how to walk sorta thing.

I tend to disagree.

If anything I'd say its more confusing to be accustomed to nothing but a 6 and then pick up a 7 and have this string you don't know what to do with as opposed to having had all the additional information all at once. Which really isn't much extra info considering that if your on a 7 your low B will mimic your high B as far as fret positions are concerned.

But starting on a 6 and learning that up and down and backwards along the fretboard and then throwing a whole extra string into the equation gets confusing just because your soooo used to looking at 6 strings that looking at 7 just hurts your brain.

Take my instructor, he teaches theory in college has his whole fretboard memorized and everything else under the sun you could think of but gets confused every time I bring in my 7 string for a lesson because hes not used to having an extra string.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I've gotten odd reactions and I don't even have one yet. Me and an old buddy of mine (with whom I've been jawing about gear and GAS for a decade now) were chatting a couple of weeks ago, and I expressed my desire to get an 8. The convo went something like this:

Me: I've been wanting an 8 string lately.
Him: Uh... what for?
Me: Remember how I got my 7 because I wanted to add range without losing any?
Him: I guess so...
Me: Well, that, but... again.
Him: Oh.

arsonist

Reaction score
Thread #34029 about "why do people think that I suck for playing an 8-string".
What the fuck is wrong with you people?
Why on earth would you even give two fucks about this? This shit is fucking preschool-grade nonsense!!!!!!! That's about the time that one has to learn to not even hear insults hurled at them which are based on ignorance and stupid bullshit.
Everyone whining about this: man the fuck up and stop worrying about bullshit insults and malignant criticism from ignorance!! Learn this for your ENTIRE life and stop giving a fuck if someone gives you shit for something as trivial as a fucking instrument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goddamn!!!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Im not saying piano is easy to play or anything, but In the context in which I was talking, learning a C chord on piano is quite straight forward compared to learning the vast amount of variations of a C chord on guitar, etc.

So the point was, that learning all those variations and scale patterns is quite time consuming... for a 6 string. Let alone adding a 7th or an 8th.

:facepalm:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Thread #34029 about "why do people think that I suck for playing an 8-string".
What the fuck is wrong with you people?
Why on earth would you even give two fucks about this? This shit is fucking preschool-grade nonsense!!!!!!! That's about the time that one has to learn to not even hear insults hurled at them which are based on ignorance and stupid bullshit.
Everyone whining about this: man the fuck up and stop worrying about bullshit insults and malignant criticism from ignorance!! Learn this for your ENTIRE life and stop giving a fuck if someone gives you shit for something as trivial as a fucking instrument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goddamn!!!

Didn't we just have a thread on man periods the other day? Homeboy must have missed the memo...

mre5150

Reaction score
7's n 8's are fucking klr, there are so many capabilities added once you add the strings. Idiots stuck in their hate shell are just pissed they still can't figure the first 6 out.

mre5150

Reaction score
I hate how people try to wrap themselves around an instrument like its something they can really just master before upgrading. Thats fucking stupid. Same rules apply to the eight. A newb starting on a 7 or 8 will fucking kill a newb starting on a 6. Intervals and understanding theory didnt go anywhere. Has anyone notice after a long session with an eight, how insanely easy it is to scatter about the 6?

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Wait. Wait wait wait WAIT. Wait.

There are a large percentage of musicians that are close-minded, traditionalist fucking idiots and complete assholes to everyone that isn't like them?!

HOLD THE GODDAMN PHONE!

Yeah, don't listen to them, they're worthless people. :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I hate how people try to wrap themselves around an instrument like its something they can really just master before upgrading. Thats fucking stupid. Same rules apply to the eight. A newb starting on a 7 or 8 will fucking kill a newb starting on a 6. Intervals and understanding theory didnt go anywhere. Has anyone notice after a long session with an eight, how insanely easy it is to scatter about the 6?

Every time I pick my 6 back up I think... Now why was that so hard before? :lol:

Then I find myself missing the range...

Vidge

Reaction score
I tend to disagree.

If anything I'd say its more confusing to be accustomed to nothing but a 6 and then pick up a 7 and have this string you don't know what to do with as opposed to having had all the additional information all at once. Which really isn't much extra info considering that if your on a 7 your low B will mimic your high B as far as fret positions are concerned.

But starting on a 6 and learning that up and down and backwards along the fretboard and then throwing a whole extra string into the equation gets confusing just because your soooo used to looking at 6 strings that looking at 7 just hurts your brain.

Take my instructor, he teaches theory in college has his whole fretboard memorized and everything else under the sun you could think of but gets confused every time I bring in my 7 string for a lesson because hes not used to having an extra string.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would think that learning 6 string patterns/variations first, and then add strings later, would be much easier, faster, and more efficient than learning 7 or 8 strings all at once.

Because like you said, once you add the 7th low B string, it follows the same patterns as the high B string... and you already know the B string patterns anyway because you started with a sixer to begin with :rolleyes:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would think that learning 6 string patterns/variations first, and then add strings later, would be much easier, faster, and more efficient than learning 7 or 8 strings all at once.

Because like you said, once you add the 7th low B string, it follows the same patterns as the high B string... and you already know the B string patterns anyway because you started with a sixer to begin with :rolleyes:

But the patterns don't change as you move the to the other strings... Even in odd tunings if you play the scales all the way up one string the patterns repeat CONSTANTLY and all that really changes is how much you have to change is how much you move our hand linearly if you decide to play the same scale across several strings.

I see it like this.

If you start off looking at the whole picture, focusing on smaller parts of it is easier than starting off zoomed in and trying to still take in the whole thing. :yesway:

Obviously there is no set number of strings that will equal the "total picture" but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

Furthermore, your point about the low B... Well, was there one? The point ppl who play 7 and 8 string guitars are trying to get across is that they enjoy the EXTENDED RANGE. There are SEVERAL B's along your fretboard if you'd venture to look for them. The only way to get THAT low B is to buy a 7+ stringed guitar or downtune a 6 and forfeit the upper range. :yesway:

Vidge

Reaction score
If you start off looking at the whole picture, focusing on smaller parts of it is easier than starting off zoomed in and trying to still take in the whole thing. :yesway:

Fair enough.

Furthermore, your point about the low B... Well, was there one? The point ppl who play 7 and 8 string guitars are trying to get across is that they enjoy the EXTENDED RANGE. There are SEVERAL B's along your fretboard if you'd venture to look for them. The only way to get THAT low B is to buy a 7+ stringed guitar or downtune a 6 and forfeit the upper range. :yesway:
Im not criticizing extended range guitars, dont get me wrong. But does a newbie guitars even comprehend the extended range? How does a newbie guitarist "enjoy" the extended range when he doesnt even know what to do with a sixer yet.

But, as you said, if their desire is to begin with is a 7 or an 8 (probably due to their favorite musician playing one) they may as well start out viewing the "whole picture" since they would get an extended range guitar in the future anyway. Lets just hope they dont bite off more than they can chew, as my original point. Obviously a sixer is much less intimidating to learn than a 7 or 8.

I suppose you could argue that every sixer guitarist out there more than likely didnt start out playing with only 2 strings strung and then added strings once they were comfortable; But they focused on bits and pieces first and then expanded to other strings and positions when comfortable.

')