I guess I suck for having an 8 string...

• Thread starter ashea66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BR10N

Reaction score
I've heard people say, " 8 strings?!? That's 2 strings too many!"
And each time, I just congratulate them for counting correctly.:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
That is dumb as hell but I know your pain. When I was in high school there was some dumb ass christian band whose guitarist was a brown nosing piece of crap. Me and him were considered 2 of the most well known guitarists at the school but for some reason everyone always compared us and tried to make us into a rivalry. Honestly yes he was better than me, but he would always give me shit about my 7 string. Sorry bro, but I don't care if you know the Go To Hell scale, there are simply things I can do that you can't because I'm open to an extended range instrument. I've been in several bands with guitarists that hate 7 or 8 stringers and I think its because they usually can't do what I can even though they are at a higher skill level. Just consider yourself a better musician than them because your not scared to go outside the box

Themadcow

Reaction score
That is dumb as hell but I know your pain. When I was in high school there was some dumb ass christian band whose guitarist was a brown nosing piece of crap. Me and him were considered 2 of the most well known guitarists at the school but for some reason everyone always compared us and tried to make us into a rivalry. Honestly yes he was better than me, but he would always give me shit about my 7 string. Sorry bro, but I don't care if you know the Go To Hell scale, there are simply things I can do that you can't because I'm open to an extended range instrument. I've been in several bands with guitarists that hate 7 or 8 stringers and I think its because they usually can't do what I can even though they are at a higher skill level. Just consider yourself a better musician than them because your not scared to go outside the box

While I'll agree with you on the thinking outside the box theory, I also understand somewhat the other side of the argument. I have been playing for 20 years, and It honestly pisses me off when I hear someone ask "how do I get the brutal Djent's on the 8 string?"

Maybe it's because my generation of guitar players didn't have the internet when we started playing, but it seems to me that if you want to get good, you should crawl before you walk. I'm not sure I would recommend someone who has been playing for a year go buy and 8 string, when there is no way they have mastered the fundamentals of the 6.

Not a knock on the 8 string at all, I have a build thread on here for an 8 I'm building, I just think there are too many guys out there like Dino that never learned how to play a 6, but guys are worshiping them.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
I won't play an 8 simply because I've never liked the sounds I've heard come from the low G ever. But it really isn't a reason to criticize, and if you like it, more power to ya!

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I just think there are too many guys out there like Dino that never learned how to play a 6, but guys are worshiping them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Whoa.

:squint:

That'd warrant a neg rep if I didn't think neg repping was so childish.

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
While I'll agree with you on the thinking outside the box theory, I also understand somewhat the other side of the argument. I have been playing for 20 years, and It honestly pisses me off when I hear someone ask "how do I get the brutal Djent's on the 8 string?"

Maybe it's because my generation of guitar players didn't have the internet when we started playing, but it seems to me that if you want to get good, you should crawl before you walk. I'm not sure I would recommend someone who has been playing for a year go buy and 8 string, when there is no way they have mastered the fundamentals of the 6.

Not a knock on the 8 string at all, I have a build thread on here for an 8 I'm building, I just think there are too many guys out there like Dino that never learned how to play a 6, but guys are worshiping them.

I understand that, but who honestly can say that this guy hasn't mastered the 6 yanno what I mean? I get where you are coming from though. I personally advocate starting out on what you want to stay on. Personally I played a 6 string for maybe 6 hours, then I got a cheap ass 7 string for Xmas and thats where I stayed.

Oh and I sort of know what you mean about Dino man. I'm not knocking him as a musician AT ALL and not saying I could play circles around him but he honestly hasn't done a whole lot I like. Not saying I jus won't listen to it, but I maybe 25% agree with you.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Fuck the people who tell you what guitar to play. Play what you love, and stick with it. Without that you wouldn't be the player you are. I love Schecters, but if some one plays ibby I'm not going to hammer them for it just because I don't like it. I used to get so much heat for owning a 7 ( Wish I never sold it :wallbash:), you don't realize how many more tonal options you had with 7+ until you don't have them :lol:, and man does it suck.

Themadcow

Reaction score
I understand that, but who honestly can say that this guy hasn't mastered the 6 yanno what I mean? I get where you are coming from though. I personally advocate starting out on what you want to stay on. Personally I played a 6 string for maybe 6 hours, then I got a cheap ass 7 string for Xmas and thats where I stayed.

Oh and I sort of know what you mean about Dino man. I'm not knocking him as a musician AT ALL and not saying I could play circles around him but he honestly hasn't done a whole lot I like. Not saying I jus won't listen to it, but I maybe 25% agree with you.

Well, 25% is better than nothing I suppose. All know is that when I was learning how to play, just being able to belt out some fast notes on the low e wasn't good enough to warrant any kind of praise.

Don't get me wrong here, I like all kinds of music. But some people write good songs, and some people are good musicians. I loved digimortal, heavy as fuck, but it doesn't change the fact that a 14 year old with 6 months of practice could play anything on that album.

Matti_Ice

TR Guitarist
Reaction score
Well, 25% is better than nothing I suppose. All know is that when I was learning how to play, just being able to belt out some fast notes on the low e wasn't good enough to warrant any kind of praise.

Don't get me wrong here, I like all kinds of music. But some people write good songs, and some people are good musicians. I loved digimortal, heavy as fuck, but it doesn't change the fact that a 14 year old with 6 months of practice could play anything on that album.

haha true. Whats odd is I, the metal head, cannot stand Divine Heresy while my friends (rap, pop rock) absolutely love em :nuts:

Sy01

Behold my >8C
Reaction score
Most of the stuff I write is a kind of mixing pot of groovy riffs and electro-rock. I really hate elitism in music, because, at the end of the day, it's not how fast or how well you play; it's WHAT you play. I love using the lower strings (tuned D# G# D# G# on the lower 4) for heavy, groovy riffs; but I decided to get an 8 string so that I could have the upper range if I really wanted it. I usually don't go much lower than the 7th string (G#) anyway; and the higher strings are standard, but half a step down. It means I can play all the chords I learned from playing 6 strings without having to transpose, and still play the low end as well.

I'm intending on taking my guitar to get a setup, but from what I hear, I'll be getting some shit for it. That is not really what I'm worried about; it's mostly whether or not the luthier will be competent enough not to break the extremely fragile bridge which the RGA8 is now infamous for. :p

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, CLEARLY, Dino doesn't know how to play a 6 string. :rolleyes:

So do all guitar players who don't pull off sweeping arpeggios in every single song not know how to play a guitar? They're just notes, who gives a shit how many fucking strings they are? I didn't know the law clearly states you must "master" the 6 string before you can move on to a guitar with an extra string or two on it. Give me a fucking break.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

So do all guitar players who don't pull off sweeping arpeggios in every single song not know how to play a guitar? They're just notes, who gives a shit how many fucking strings they are? I didn't know the law clearly states you must "master" the 6 string before you can move on to a guitar with an extra string or two on it. Give me a fucking break.

The definition of mastering the instrument is a pompous too, no?(Directed at Matti but following up on what you said) I have never heard of a guitarist who thought he could not improve himself. This leads to, no one has ever masterred guitar. If you think you have masterred your instrument, that is explored every possibility, can use every technique and understand every application it can provide I salute you.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
i use to get that every time my old boss and i were talking guitars. he was stubborn to even understand that benefits to having the extra string(s). not haveing to swithch hand positions, new chords and inversions, nothing i tried to convince him with he would accept.

some people are just stuck with the mentality that the old way of doing things is the only way of doing things. im suprized they don't have a horse and buggy too.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

FUUUUUCCCCK!!! Quotation marks!!!! :wallbash: :lol:

I agree with Rick. :yesway:

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
Here's the thing about Dino. He's a more rhythm oriented guitarist no? The reason he has 7s and 8s, is so he can hit those lower notes, but still have his high notes for when he wants to use them yes? Just because someone decides to strictly play rhythm, doesn't mean they shouldn't a guitar with more than 6 strings. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

Latest posts

')