I guess I suck for having an 8 string...

• Thread starter ashea66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baldi

Rifftangle.
Reaction score
There is a certain stigma attached to 8-strings because NEARLY all 8-string guitarists use the same basic formula, AKA Djent! ...There's more to 8 strings than Djent!!! Prove them wrong - it's potentially such a versatile instrument, USE IT!!!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ppl djent 6s and 7s too... :agreed:
But yea... the 8th string guitarist thing is sad, but it isn't hurting anyone... :shrug:

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
As someone has in their sig.. "I'm an 8 string guitarist, not an 8th string guitarist."
I live by that. Instead of tuning down to low F# for UBER BROOTZ DJENTORZ.. I use it to extend my lead lines and chording. I agree though.. People use 8s for djent for the most part, but they don't even THINK about looking for other ways to apply them musically.

saovi

Reaction score
As someone has in their sig.. "I'm an 8 string guitarist, not an 8th string guitarist."

Yeah exactly! Those are the guys who would do better with a 2-string guitar - would save them the trouble when they want to change strings too and would stop giving 8 string guitarists a bad name.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Who cares how someone plays their instrument? I've heard music that sounds better played on two strings than douchebags who constantly wank on all of them. If you don't like something, don't listen to it, but because they choose to play differently than you doesn't make them worse or better musicians.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Top 10 responses if someone says, "8 strings?! Why do you need so many? That's stupid!"

1) Guitars are based on lutes from the last couple of centuries, most of which had more than 6 strings, so the 6 stringed guitar is really the musical anomaly.
2) Oh, I know, that's exactly what my banjo player keeps telling me about my 6 string guitars!
3) Oh, I know, my bass player keeps telling me that about my sixxers.
4) Yeah, I have 8 strings, but I only play notes A through F, so we're about equally limited.
5) No no, in my band it's ok, because I get to use extra strings, but my drummer only gets a bass drum and a snare, so it still balances out.
6) I'm not from around here. You guys still play six strings?

Help me finish it, give me 5 more...

CooleyJr

Banned
Reaction score
^ I come from the future where we use more strings for our far more advanced music you inferior creatures can't comprehend in this primitive time.

stuglue

Reaction score
When I first heard about 8 string guitars I thought it was a low B plus a high A string, any of you 8 string owners tried that setup? I can imagine having a high A would allow for some interesting chord voicings.

I AM AHAB!!!!
Reaction score
When I first heard about 8 string guitars I thought it was a low B plus a high A string, any of you 8 string owners tried that setup? I can imagine having a high A would allow for some interesting chord voicings.

Lots of people do that but you need a fanned fret guitar and a light gauge to achieve it.

spyderbreed

Reaction score
most important: its YOUR instrument, if u feel like needing the strings to do whats in your head, go for it.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Just play music :D I got a lot of heat for playing 7 strings but i really don't care anymore :p

If you're happy doing it then do it and if your friends are the ones doing it then they are not your friends. :p

As for the Dino thing, He's famous are you? :lol:

Diggy

Banned
Reaction score
Should 6 string players be criticized by 4 string bass players now? ridiculous!

saovi

Reaction score
Who cares how someone plays their instrument? I've heard music that sounds better played on two strings than douchebags who constantly wank on all of them. If you don't like something, don't listen to it, but because they choose to play differently than you doesn't make them worse or better musicians.

Seriously, chill out bro. The first guitar I ever played had one string on it. Graduated to two strings - amazing what you can do with that. I've been playing over 22 years and choose to use all eight strings on an eight string guitar. But your comparing of guitarists who choose to use all 8 strings (instead of just two) to douchebags is a bit of stretch. And by the way, if you're referring to me, that's somewhat of a personal attack. But whatever dude, peace out.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
You should learn to read before posting on the internet. If you took something, that's your own fault.

')