I have 2500 $ what guitar should I get ?

• Thread starter Valnob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
So because Carvin's pickups are not that good(which btw I have read the complete opposite in EVERY NGD thread on a Carvin 7 string) you will completely rule out the guitar, when pickups are so easily swappable? Carvin guitars are high quality, top notch instruments.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
So because Carvin's pickups are not that good(which btw I have read the complete opposite in EVERY NGD thread on a Carvin 7 string) you will completely rule out the guitar, when pickups are so easily swappable? Carvin guitars are high quality, top notch instruments.

The problem with the carvin is that it is very hard to swap the pickups because of the size of them, that why.

The carvin DC727 are georgous either way

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I would honestly just get some used RG7321 and work that 7 string with some sick pups, see what you like and then buy it :) if you've never played a lot of 7s you won't know what necks and shit you like best.

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
I would honestly just get some used RG7321 and work that 7 string with some sick pups, see what you like and then buy it :) if you've never played a lot of 7s you won't know what necks and shit you like best.

Like buying a 7321 and put some CrunchLab and LiquidFire ?

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
but i'm sure your going to eventually sell it(and take a loss) and want something nicer. a 7321 is a decent guitar if you mod it up, but most everyone wants something a little/lot nicer after a short while.

And if you get a 7 or 8 string carvin, they come with actives, which are a direct swap out for emg's and blackouts. plus they have conversion rings and they make empty active pup housings that will fit passive pups inside.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a JP and buy it used, you have pretty much no loss on resale if you take care of it, so a pretty low risk endeavor.

I don't really agree with the 'if you haven't played many 7s you won't know what necks you like'. Any long term playing will give you a pretty good preference of what you look for in a guitar (and a 7 is just another guitar).

If you want to go new, as some have mentioned it will be 4 months. The JPX, XI and 12 don't have colour options but the others do, to some extent. You will also be slightly short for a new on a JPX/XI/12 or BFR. Steve's Music has great prices on JPs (and I think there is one in Montreal).

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
If you want a JP and buy it used, you have pretty much no loss on resale if you take care of it, so a pretty low risk endeavor.

I don't really agree with the 'if you haven't played many 7s you won't know what necks you like'. Any long term playing will give you a pretty good preference of what you look for in a guitar (and a 7 is just another guitar).

If you want to go new, as some have mentioned it will be 4 months. The JPX, XI and 12 don't have colour options but the others do, to some extent. You will also be slightly short for a new on a JPX/XI/12 or BFR. Steve's Music has great prices on JPs (and I think there is one in Montreal).

Steve's Music do sell on their website a JPX and a JPXI but only in 6 strings.
I prefer the shape of the JPX/I/12 (the two horns thinner) but not easy to find near me.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I'll throw this out there too...

Ibanez RGD 2127z. Top notch quality for significantly less money than the JP7. You might like the pickups, and you might not, and if not, switch them out with the leftover cash.

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
First Act replied to me saying that they can't make me a custom before january and it takes 8 months, crap !

either way, Dan Jones is selling his RG1527 for 1200$ (white with maple neck). Is it a good deal ? I'm not familiar with ibbys in general

Overtone

Reaction score
Just throwing an alternative out there...

Caparison Guitars - Caparison Dellinger7 FX-WM

Given how soon you want the guitar I'd advise not to order a new custom. Even if they tell you it'll be under 6 months, you never know... sometimes shit happens, and if it does you will not be in a position where you don't mind the extra wait.

Used JP seems great. Just choose based on whether you care much about if the body is alder or basswood, chambered or non-chambered, or if you want nickel frets or stainless steel. If you're ok with any of the above I think you should also consider the regular JP's as opposed to the X/XI/XII.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Steve's Music do sell on their website a JPX and a JPXI but only in 6 strings.
I prefer the shape of the JPX/I/12 (the two horns thinner) but not easy to find near me.

Give them a call, I have talked to them about getting in a 7 before, instead I used them to price match against L+M as L+M was closer to me than the Toronto store. So I got their price either way :lol:. Canada doesn't really have stores I recommend dealing with online, but if you get them on the phone / in person or email contact with the store you can get just about anything you need.

Overtone

Reaction score
Anything worth spending $2500 on is worth making a day trip out to Massachusets for if you don't want to deal with shipping/tax/customs stuff.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Are the Standberg production models available yet? Aren't they only like $2600?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Also, just because you have $2500 available doesn't mean it all has to go toward a guitar. Often I'll buy up guitars and later realize... "Shit... I need a new interface..." or "Damn... It sure would be nice to have more XLR cables..." :lol:

')