I have an MXR Fullbore Metal and I hate it. Help?

• Thread starter Rhinosaur
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinosaur

A djentleman, and a skal'r.
Reaction score
I have an MXR Fullbore Metal and I hate it.

****I did use search function before typing***

For context I'm playing PRS Core 24 (standard), 2 x Holcomb 7's, SE Custom 7, and 277 Baritone (all in dropped A), all through either a Mesa DR Roadster or Road King, depending where I am rehearsing. My pedalboard has an Electroharmonix Silencer, Horizon precision OD or Ibanez Tubescreamer, Boss noise suppressor at the end, with a few of the usual modulation pedals too. All that gives me pretty much the tone I'm chasing, but we've started writing some stuff in drop E, using a pitchfork mostly (but may set up the 277 in dropped E).

It might be the pitchfork making this sloppy, but I don't love the tone when playing dropped, and I also don't want to mess with the set-up I've got too much, as it sounds pretty sweet in dropped A. I do have an EQ pedal I use for thinner/tighter tones, but I'd rather a single pedal fix my problems for that tuning...

TLDR: Has anyone ever got a tight/djenty tone out of the Fullbore Metal pedal? One that works with dropped E? OR any use a pedal in similar circumstances that hits the mark? Google is pushing me towards the Hotone Djent Pedal.

Thanks in advance cats :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
You’re tuning down a 4th, so you’ll probably have to make some EQ adjustments. If you can get it to sound good in A it can probably sound good in E, just not with the exact same settings. Having a guitar in the tuning will always sound better than using a pitch shifter, but you’ll still need to adjust the B/M/T at the very least.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You’re tuning down a 4th, so you’ll probably have to make some EQ adjustments. If you can get it to sound good in A it can probably sound good in E, just not with the exact same settings. Having a guitar in the tuning will always sound better than using a pitch shifter, but you’ll still need to adjust the B/M/T at the very least.
+1 to these points. If I drop from A to F# or E in my AxeFx it tracks decently but also gets dark sounding and needs to be brightened up.

Honestly, I'd get another guitar. 27" scale works great in my experience but you may prefer a longer scale.

Rhinosaur

Reaction score
Fullbore? More like Full(of)Bore(ing) tone

Go on Amazon and get a Joyo Rigel. Plug that into the FX return of whatever you're using and thank me later
Just started looking into the Joyo Rigel. I do like a thin tone though, will sus out some YouTube vids… I assume you have one? I find half the reason the Fullbore is rubbish is its wayyyy too much drive, nevermind the tone…

I like a bit more fuzz with the low stuff sometimes but also my main rhythm tones are often sitting where TesseracT do. Is the Joyo capable of rolling the drive back?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
This thread is wacky. You've got a core PRS and 4 other SE's along with some dual recs. Why are you going with such a super budget option to get your djent sound? I would ditch the recto for pretty much any 5150 variant and just run the Precision Drive into it. That's basically the canonical djent sound if you won't go menu diving on an Axe-Fx.

Or get an FM3 and run it into the power section of the recto.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
This thread is wacky. You've got a core PRS and 4 other SE's along with some dual recs. Why are you going with such a super budget option to get your djent sound? I would ditch the recto for pretty much any 5150 variant and just run the Precision Drive into it. That's basically the canonical djent sound if you won't go menu diving on an Axe-Fx.

Or get an FM3 and run it into the power section of the recto.
That's what I was thinking. Should be able to get great tones without using the Fullbore at all. May just need an EQ to kick on for the dropped stuff.

Sounds like he just may not dig the Mesas, I know I don't. Could easily sell and get something else, or go with a digital rig and way simplify.

Rhinosaur

Reaction score
Ok, long story short; basically I have the sound I want in dropped A, but was looking for a pedal to run on my clean channel that was tight enough in dropped E so I don’t mess with what I have… hopefully not too wacky 🤪

Rhinosaur

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Should be able to get great tones without using the Fullbore at all. May just need an EQ to kick on for the dropped stuff.

Sounds like he just may not dig the Mesas, I know I don't. Could easily sell and get something else, or go with a digital rig and way simplify.
Yeah I mustn’t have explained myself very well.

I dig my setup in A.
I’m now playing some stuff in dropped E.
If there’s a pedal for a quick fix to assist with writing, that would be sweet.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Yeah I mustn’t have explained myself very well.

I dig my setup in A.
I’m now playing some stuff in dropped E.
If there’s a pedal for a quick fix to assist with writing, that would be sweet.
Are you using the Fullbore in A? You've got 2 overdrives, why not have one dialed in for A and one for E?

Otherwise, I think the easiest solution is to get an EQ pedal and use it to shape the E tone. An eq in front of the amp or in the loop can have a massive difference on the tone. I'd probably use it in front in your situation.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Ok, long story short; basically I have the sound I want in dropped A, but was looking for a pedal to run on my clean channel that was tight enough in dropped E so I don’t mess with what I have… hopefully not too wacky 🤪
I would probably just get an eq and put it between the pitch and everything else and mess with input tone if you don’t want to mess with your tone for other tunings.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, what you got? I have a MXR Fullbore Metal up for grabs? 🤪
The shipping makes trades a bit prohibitive :p

Waiting on some pedals actually, but what i really need is a bassist.

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
Tune down the longest scale guitar you have rather than using the drop. Why have so many guitars in the same tuning? Drop pedal unavoidably starts sounding like shit more than a step or so down for anything but ambient playing.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going to be an iconoclast, and say buy a Revv (if you can). Those things sound amazing and tight AF.

Shask

Reaction score
Tune down the longest scale guitar you have rather than using the drop. Why have so many guitars in the same tuning? Drop pedal unavoidably starts sounding like shit more than a step or so down for anything but ambient playing.
Yep, I would say tune one of the guitars in the tuning you want and ditch drop tuning pedals. They always sound weird. I would ditch the Full Bore pedal and work with your amps with your guitar in the tuning.

Latest posts

')