I have an MXR Fullbore Metal and I hate it. Help?

• Thread starter Rhinosaur
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinosaur

A djentleman, and a skal'r.
Reaction score
Thanks all, think I'll re-string the 277 in dropped E and use an EQ pedal to chase the tone I'm after.

Separate to that I think I'll look at the Joyo Rigel and Hotone Djent and see if that does any good running on the clean channels. I have a few killer tones on the dirty channels, just looking to add some colour and variety to my rhythm tones and something to assist layering driven tones on top of clean loops while I'm writing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I don't totally follow why the built in gain channels on the amps you mentioned wouldn't be more the sufficient and vastly superior to any high gain pedal. That said, if you insist, chuck that fullbore as far as you can and grab an MXR 5150 OD. Absolutely best high gain distortion I've tried and makes any clean channel sound pretty damn close to a 5153

FWIW I use the poly capo on the HX one a full octave down at times for certain songs to simulate an 8 string tuned down to E and haven't really had any issues with any of my amps (including DR roadster, marks, engl, 5153, etc.). If I was tracking one of these songs in the studio I'd try and secure an actual 8 string, but for live/practice/jamming/my own entertainment it sounds just fine, if not pretty damn good

Rhinosaur

Reaction score
I don't totally follow why the built in gain channels on the amps you mentioned wouldn't be more the sufficient and vastly superior to any high gain pedal. That said, if you insist, chuck that fullbore as far as you can and grab an MXR 5150 OD. Absolutely best high gain distortion I've tried and makes any clean channel sound pretty damn close to a 5153

FWIW I use the poly capo on the HX one a full octave down at times for certain songs to simulate an 8 string tuned down to E and haven't really had any issues with any of my amps (including DR roadster, marks, engl, 5153, etc.). If I was tracking one of these songs in the studio I'd try and secure an actual 8 string, but for live/practice/jamming/my own entertainment it sounds just fine, if not pretty damn good
Yeah I love my tone in A. I’m thinking the pitchfork is probably the issue. I’ll drop the 277 to E and see how it sounds.

Really I think I want a distortion pedal for the ease of using my loop where it is in the chain on a clean channel, just for ease of use somgwriting. I don’t use distortion pedals generally as the dirty mesa channels are epic with the Holcomb 7s.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Put your looper in the effects loop of the amp instead of in front :shrug: you can record clean loops and change over to one of the other channels to play over them with your normal high gain tones

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
The only thing is, if he is using a roadster or road king, and using modern mode for high gain sounds, he will likely need to run the clean channel on 100 watts, and the high gain channel at 50 watts in order for the loop volumes to remain consistent/balanced when switching channels. Ask me how I know 😭😭😭

Rhinosaur

Reaction score
The only thing is, if he is using a roadster or road king, and using modern mode for high gain sounds, he will likely need to run the clean channel on 100 watts, and the high gain channel at 50 watts in order for the loop volumes to remain consistent/balanced when switching channels. Ask me how I know 😭😭😭
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Rhinosaur

Reaction score
The update no one was waiting for...

Finally got my PRS 277 set up in drop E, so the bulk of the tone issues were solved by not using the pitchfork. Also got myself on to STL Amphub so i'm learning quicker now how to EQ for the lower tunings. But long story short, the mesa seems to get me near where I want, just EQ settings to play with now.

Aaaaaand the more I play it, the more I hate everything about the full bore metal pedal, except the gate.

Latest posts

')