I have never played through a real tube amp..

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
When I was a kid, tube amps were too expensive.
Now that I'm in my 30's, houses to play tube amps in are too expensive.

If I had the ability to play through half-stacks every day without pissing off people around me I would, but the ol' Axe Fx II is good enough and much more practical.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Amp modeling has been around for over 20 years so it's not super-strange that someone can go a long time without ever using "the real thing", I guess.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
As a (very) long term goal, I would like to record with a real tube amp. But it has to be the real deal, cabinet and mic, not just an amp into attenuator into an impulse. The real deal. Otherwise it would feel like I'm missing half the point. But then it's not just about the tube amp anymore right? It's the room, the mics, the console, a whole bunch of things..

I think I'm starting to get better at dialing in modeling amps for my songs but it's just a different sound I suspect. For me, metal guitar tone peaked in the early 2000s, and while I can get good sounds from my modeller and plugins, I don't think I can get the sound like these "not so old" records. The tone on The End of Heartache by KSE for example is really fucking hot.

Comparing this to newer bands with a more "modern" sound with not as much highs and more mids (and less bass), I like this a lot more.

akinari

Reaction score
There are bad sounding tube amps and awesome sounding SS amps. I love Dual Recs and XXXs but I never feel like I'm missing out plugging into my VTX350 or RG80ES just because they've got transistors in 'em.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
It's a similar story for most of my life, but I never had digital either, just old analog solid state. However, once I had played some tubes I was hooked right away and bought one. And I've got a Helix POD now, too.

To me, the difference (in the room) is obvious, and I even play my Helix through a tube power amp and guitar speaker. Having said that, when it comes to recording, I've been tricked by those A/B Pepsi taste tests. I think digital rigs work just fine, and especially for recording purposes. But when it comes to standing in the room, there's no contest.

Could I live with only digital? I'm about to. Moving and selling my tube amp and cab. I think I'll get by just fine. But I'm gonna be thinking about that next tube amp.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I really think you/everyone should play through a tube amp and learn a bit about dialing them in. Once you feel what you're missing and get that interaction with a good vibe you won't want anything else.
- I can't speak in comparison to the higher end modellers yet but compared to practically any other piece of gear there is no comparison. They just feel and respond in an indescribable way. Get a versatile amp like a Mesa F30 or Express and hear, feel and see the light!
- After I try and AxeFx though who knows, I might take back what I said : )
- Seriously, It's more than just sound. The feel and interaction of tubes can bring out magical things in you. Everyone owes it to themselves to do a serious no bull sit down with one, not just a quicky at Guitar Center. Really pay attention to the interaction of your dynamic pick attack and the amp gain and master volumes and breakup and you'll start to get the idea/hang of it. Pure Magic.

mongey

Reaction score
I strongly suspect my draw to tube amps comes from thinking of music/guitars as being detached from computers/tech/etc. .

there is def a point to this. when I had an axe2 XL one of the things I didn't like was that it felt like just another piece of technology to maintain and deal with. FW updates and all that . where as my amp and pedals I just sit down and turn it on and its a get away from all that stuff

Reaction score

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I grew up with tube and solid state amps, had a POD HD I could never get to sound more than meh, tried an AxeFX and it had way too much stuff going on, I'll stick with amps, they're simpler.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone can relate? Have a similar confession?

:cheers::mk:

I have the same confession to make!

I even recorded a CD that sold (not many copies) in multiple countries — Italy, Japan, Argentina, Chile, others ( it was a metal CD :p ) — before I played a tube amp .

I did not grow up poor, but I did not have enough money for a fancy tube amp, just affordable solid state "stuff."

The first time I played a tube amp, because I had finally decided to buy one, was an amazing experience ... I still remember my whole body reacting to to the first note :-D

Strobe

Reaction score
I get it. My tube amp mostly sits in the basement. I use a digital amp for my bass and a kemper for my guitars live. The latter is a little awkward, in that I love love love the Kemper but I technically still need someone to own tube amps if I am got get new profiles :)

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I've had several tube amps but never got wrapped up in the whole experience since my chops were just average. If I had ever been more of a shredder then I'm sure I'd feel differently.

tarzegetakizerd

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not really missing out if it is not practical haha

Like me. I've gone ampless since I don't have anywhere to play loud.

Protestheriphery

Reaction score
To me, jamming an amp sim through my recording monitors just doesnt have the same feel as my amp pushing the speakers in my cab. The latter just has a fatness and warmth that are thoroughly satisfying. Most importantly, I can hear the differences in my guitars more. The nuances of each instrument is a lot more apparent.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
As someone with 3 half stacks in by bedroom, I played a Fender Mustang with 2 at most 6" speakers the other day and it was really convincing. Not sell it all and buy a modeler convincing, but better than it had any right to be.

The worst shimmer I've ever heard in my life though. Just abysmal.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
As someone with 3 half stacks in by bedroom, I played a Fender Mustang with 2 at most 6" speakers the other day and it was really convincing. Not sell it all and buy a modeler convincing, but better than it had any right to be.

The worst shimmer I've ever heard in my life though. Just abysmal.

I guess there's no correlation between number of half-stacks and hearing ability?

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
It'd be worth trying sometime if you have the opportunity since its just a different kind of experience coaxing out tones from a good tube amp. The biggest differences to me when hearing a tube amp in a room vs a SS amp is more in the clean/low gain dynamics, and the overall fullness and decay of tube overdrive just feels great. Modelers have gotten really good at emulating this however, and it's hard to argue the practicality of going with something like a Helix over an expensive tube amp that isn't nearly as flexible on its own.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I’ll confess the other way.

I’ve had tube amps for years, but my main amp nowadays is a little line6 SpiderV combo because it’s more convenient. Does it sound as good as a Mesa combo, or a Marshall stack? I don’t know... I think it does, at least to my old man ears. Plus I can go from Soldano SLO leads to Bognor Ecstasy rhythms with different effects all at the touch of one button, I can set up four vastly different sounds literally one click away from each other.

Any loss in ‘tone’ is made up for in ‘fun’.

I may well go Helix at some point, but for now I’m a little put off by the added complexity compared to the nice and simple spider. I don’t gig anymore, I’ve got limited space as my music room is my home office due to covid, so...

Latest posts

')