I love drop A tuning appreciation's thread

• Thread starter skinhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Some weeks ago, I was really frustrated with my floyd, I couldn't set up it well.

So, on Monday, I blocked it, changed the strings, daddario's 0.10 and a 0.65 for the low A.

This afternoon I played some hours with it, it's awesome for breakdown riffs :fawk:

Also I learnt "Bleed the fifth" from Divine Heresy :shred: It's a really cool song but with drop tuning it's a bit difficult :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
the low A is some heavy shit :agreed: I keep my baritone in drop-A, used to keep my 7 in it until I got the baritone.

Celiak

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up a FR with a .65 or .70 in on the low B without screwing things up?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what broderick and loomis use, and i use a 70 when i use EB's or 68 with elixers
i

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I fucking love Drop A tuning, but not for the brutality, I love it for the extended two octave chords and that kind of stuff that you can do with it. It just expands the musical possibilities a lot.

My barítone agile will be in drop A when finished :evil:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love it and have been using it since 1998 (from 1994 to 1997, I was tuning a 6 to AEADF#B). But out of all my sevens, I have one tuned AEADGBE. We don't play our old songs, but I can still keep writing stuff in that tuning. :metal:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fat strings FTW

:agreed:

Picture073-1.jpg

I use a .60 for the low A and it's perfect. :yesway:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Drop A is pretty damn fun. I'm kicking around tuning a guitar to drop but the top six strings are all in fourths. So it would be A1, E2, A2, D3, G3, C4, F4.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm kicking around tuning a guitar to drop but the top six strings are all in fourths. So it would be A1, E2, A2, D3, G3, C4, F4.

:eek: That would be pretty interesting, could write alot of cool stuff in that tuning. :agreed:

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Drop A is pretty damn fun. I'm kicking around tuning a guitar to drop but the top six strings are all in fourths. So it would be A1, E2, A2, D3, G3, C4, F4.

That's a nice idea, but it seems to be complicated for chords

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do you drop A with your UV, Frank? I used my UV7BK to record and dropped it down to A and the .54 was a bit loose for me. I could go heavier on my RG though. I may get a .65. :shrug:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:eek: That would be pretty interesting, could write alot of cool stuff in that tuning. :agreed:

Somebody on here uses that tuning. I forget who. :scratch: Where I think it would kick face would be in that you could get super brutal on the low strings but have an easy time flying around on that high strings.

In far as chords go, I hardly ever play full chords so it doesn't worry me too much.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
With drop A, you can play full chords, all 7-strings. That's what I do. I also come up with interesting chords in that tuning too.

I also had my S 7420 tuned baritone (BEADGF#BE), I liked writing in that tuning. Having the extra high E is cool for solos and stuff too. :yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i love drop tuning in general, though in my thrash metal band i play in B standard, just to keep the riffs and stuff different and fresh from my other projects, and it works really well. it makes me play better too, because i´m kinda spoiled by all the drop tuning :p

anyways, i´ve found that you have to be careful when selecting the low A string for drop tuning, because if you go .70+.52-.10 for example, you´ll end up with horrible balance, but it works perfect for standard tuning. that´s the mistake i did when choosing string gauges.

i find .58 or so, and a .42-.09 or so string set works great, but i can see a .60 being awesomeness as well :D

my favourite tunings are still lower though, i´ve gotten a low-tuning-baritone-scale addiction! :p

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Do you drop A with your UV, Frank? I used my UV7BK to record and dropped it down to A and the .54 was a bit loose for me. I could go heavier on my RG though. I may get a .65. :shrug:

I use a 0.65 for the low A on my UV. I have to try something tighter.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
You're all so different from me. :rofl:

I use 9-52 on my S7 in Drop A and 10-56 (not 59) on the RG7 in Drop A.

You guys are using my bottom string for your E strings. :rofl:

')