I love drop A tuning appreciation's thread

• Thread starter skinhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You're all so different from me. :rofl:

I use 9-52 on my S7 in Drop A and 10-56 (not 59) on the RG7 in Drop A.

You guys are using my bottom string for your E strings. :rofl:

:stitch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
You're all so different from me. :rofl:

I use 9-52 on my S7 in Drop A and 10-56 (not 59) on the RG7 in Drop A.

You guys are using my bottom string for your E strings. :rofl:

Uber :stitch:

BTW Emperoff, get on MSN :squint:

Vision

Reaction score
I love drop A. I play with 9-54's though, because I love string bending... I tried 59's and it didn't sound or play right.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
i use 9 - 46 with a 59 for the B, but i've only got one 7 so i can't say i use a different one for drop A! i've only written two songs in drop A so far anyway, when i get my S7320 i'm leaving it in drop A, i'll probably use a 62 or 64

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used to use Drop A a long time ago on 6-strings. On 7s I just always prefered ADGCFAD tuning. I write better with standard format tuning as opposed to a Drop D style.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I used to use Drop A a long time ago on 6-strings. On 7s I just always prefered ADGCFAD tuning. I write better with standard format tuning as opposed to a Drop D style.

I always played in standard, and I find it really strange to compose in drop A.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I use a 64 on my baritone for A and it feels pretty good, I could probably go up to a 66, but for B on my H-207 it's awesome, the tension is just right.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
I keep counting 8 notes there. :scratch: Maybe I am retarded... :shrug:

:agreed:

and btw, awesome fuckin avatar

Somebody on here uses that tuning. I forget who. :scratch: Where I think it would kick face would be in that you could get super brutal on the low strings but have an easy time flying around on that high strings.

In far as chords go, I hardly ever play full chords so it doesn't worry me too much.

i haven't tried this in Drop A, but i tried out a tuning on one of my 6's and my acoustic that was CGDGCFBb. The first two strings in 5ths (so you can do that barred power chord on two sets of strings) and the rest in fourths
It was really interesting. You can totally rip up the upper register without much thought and a lot of freedom because of the 4ths, you have tons of room for powerful Drop-D style riffing in the low register, and it takes on its own feel pretty easily. In the end i didn't have enough guitars laying around to keep one in that tuning, and i didn't feel like dealing w/ the string gauges for it anyway. But it was definitely very cool. I would totally endorse trying something similar on a 7

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
i have never been to A level, maybe this weekend ill drop the floyd with a small block between the body and lowest 7 string tuner, to keep it from getting everything fuct up (tunning wise) and try a very low tunning. new area to experience.

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
I love Drop A tuning & all my 7's are tuned that way, it's my favourite tuning by far & just feels really natural to me.
I use D'Addario .10-.59's now but used to use the .10-.56 set & prefered the feel of the 56 but they don't make those size sets anymore, I love the tone of the .54 in Drop A too but it's a bit too light for me to use.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i don't use dropped tunings, but tuned down to A in general...did it years ago and i think i will never change back on this and on future 7s.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
It's a neat tuning! I used it for quite a while before I dropped it half a step.

Fat strings FTW

:squint:

I like a .052" for B and about a .060" or so for Ab. Tone > feel, though when you get used to it, it doesn't really feel half bad.

I fucking love Drop A tuning, but not for the brutality, I love it for the extended two octave chords and that kind of stuff that you can do with it. It just expands the musical possibilities a lot.

My barítone agile will be in drop A when finished :evil:

That's pretty much how I see it, too. I like taking a power chord starting on the lowest string and extending it up through a double-octave power chord and a barre chord across all 7 strings. Freakin' epic!

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
i've been contemplating going down to Bb standard and drop Ab lately but everybody's doing it! to the point where standard tunings are becoming unusual again!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
i've been contemplating going down to Bb standard and drop Ab lately but everybody's doing it! to the point where standard tunings are becoming unusual again!

You shouldn't let that stop you! When I started tuning down to Ab, it was years before I heard of more than maybe a band or two tuning near that range (not that it wasn't being done, but I felt special for a while). It's a pretty common tuning now, but I don't like it any less. If I wanted to tune differently from the rest of the world, I'd go back to standard :lol:, which I guess was your point. I do keep one guitar in standard, though.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, i mean, it's only half a step difference to what i use now, but it just sounds so meaty and djenty. I know i shouldn't let it stop me, but it does! lol, i dont know why. I guess i dont want to be lumped in with the rest of the "math metal" crowd seein as that's the favoured tuning(s) for that kind'a music i s'pose. i refused to use drop C when i was on 6s because EVERY motherfucker was using it at the time, i'm just awkward like that :D

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
lol, just drop it a step on each new album like in flames seems to do? :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
yeah, i mean, it's only half a step difference to what i use now, but it just sounds so meaty and djenty. I know i shouldn't let it stop me, but it does! lol, i dont know why. I guess i dont want to be lumped in with the rest of the "math metal" crowd seein as that's the favoured tuning(s) for that kind'a music i s'pose. i refused to use drop C when i was on 6s because EVERY motherfucker was using it at the time, i'm just awkward like that :D

One of my 7s is in C because that's what my band works in. That tuning doesn't do a hell of a lot for me, though. It's somehow kind of bland. :shrug:

lol, just drop it a step on each new album like in flames seems to do? :lol:

Don't they pretty much stick to C and drop-Bb? For progressive detuning, see Deftones :lol:

')