I love drop A tuning appreciation's thread

• Thread starter skinhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
actually they use....

peavey 6505 plus. two of them.
dunlop zakk wylde wah
2 whammy pedal.
some other stuff too

atleast for there live setup.

Actually no. I said pretty clearly that I was comparing Pass Out Of Existence with Resurrection. I'm not talking about live.

They used several high-end tube amps on Resurrection, different ones for leads and rhythm. Their 1st record like I said was recorded with solid state Marshalls.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Me personally, i think Chimaira's best tones were from their Self Title record, the one preceeding Resurrection. Like for instance, the song "Inside The Horror" and "Save Ourselves" had just this massive "Wall Of SOund" in my eyes (well, ears).

just my 2cents

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yeah it's one of my fav tones of theirs. I think Impossibility of Reason was too EMG-ish, like too generic, too sterile and digital sounding, but still better than Pass Out, and Resurrection was too thin sounding, although incredibly dynamic and still cool in it's own weird way.

Dave

Reaction score
Dunno about drop A, cause I tune to A standard so gotta go down to drop G... though tuning to F C G C F B D is a fun tuning... you just don't want to play an open low F5 cause it sounds crap least to me.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
That's what i figured about the 8 strings when i first saw one. I thought "if you were to play that low F# in a chord it'd sound shit!". I've only ever heard ppl play it as a single string so far, so i'm yet to be proved wrong.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
If your rig can handle it and is set up right, and if your strings aren't too thick, power chords can work that low.

Dave

Reaction score
Well F# sounded ok to me, lol.... guess it varies a bit from person to person where you can't hear the really low bass.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Although it's off topic slightly, I can't help but feel this video would sum up what we're talking about quite well... oh for shame :noplease:...

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
SUPER - :bump:

I need some ideas for Drop A songs. I know I saw a thread somewhere about it but couldn't find it when I searched.

')