I need a neck pickup recommendation!

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Bonour, Hola, Aloha, Hello!

I am currently looking for a recommendation for a neck pickup, in one o' my guitars. Really, I'm looking to remove the EMG's in it and replace them with passives, for a slightly more organic tone that requires less 9v battery.

Guitar information:
PRS SE Paul Allender sig
1-piece mahogany body, no chambering from what I can tell
3 piece maple neck, set-neck and all of the pieces are maple
PRS tremolo, 25" scale.

I'm looking for a neck pickup right now that would have a close enough output to a Seymour Duncan Alternative 8.

My genre is largely metal, of the high-gain variety. (The sole exclusions to this are RHCP, Weezer, and improv blues/jazz.)

So, really, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C-Squared

Reaction score
Try a DiMarzio Fred. Enough power to balance with anything, great harmonics, and a killer split tone if you wanted a coil tap.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Liquifire is probably the nicest neck pickup ever madr and nice cleans too but its really dark in mahogany so take either that or an Illuminator which is a brighter LF.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
A good replacement for high gain pickups that require no batteries and are a bit more organic than EMGs sounds like the Dimarzio D'Activator set.

What bridge pickup will you be using? We might have better recommendations if we know what bridge pickup you're going to pair with the guitar.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
A good replacement for high gain pickups that require no batteries and are a bit more organic than EMGs sounds like the Dimarzio D'Activator set.

What bridge pickup will you be using? We might have better recommendations if we know what bridge pickup you're going to pair with the guitar.

Seymour Duncan Alternative 8. The pickup is pretty hot stuff, 18k resistance.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Black Winter or Jazz if you stick with Duncan, or an Illuminator or Air Norton if you go with Dimarzio.

The Liquifire is my favorite neck pickup and would be great in that guitar, but may be a little too warm depending on your taste.

Itchyman

Reaction score
mark morton of lamb of god used a pair of duncan 59's for the longest time..

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Black Winter or Jazz if you stick with Duncan, or an Illuminator or Air Norton if you go with Dimarzio.

The Liquifire is my favorite neck pickup and would be great in that guitar, but may be a little too warm depending on your taste.

Unfortunately, a lot of the liquifire demos I've heard are a bit too dark, and not smooth or bright enough. Strangely enough, this even happens on Ibanez guitars, maple necked/fretboarded and what I'm assuming is a basswood body.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
mark morton of lamb of god used a pair of duncan 59's for the longest time..

While his signature Jackson came stock with 59's in it for a long time, Mark only briefly used dual '59's. He experimented with the Invader, JB, Distortion, EMG 81, and various DiMarzio's before he settled with the DiMarzio Breed, which ultimately was tweaked a bit and is now his signature Dominion pickup.

That said, the '59 is a good neck pickup, but I prefer the Black Winter neck or Sentient neck from Duncan.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a site to buy BKPs, or a few BKPs to recommend the checking out of? I'm not really aware of any of the names they label 'em with, or their specs.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
')