I need a new head. help?

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
i am in desperate need of a new head, and i'd like some help in choosing the next head i get.

i play prog metal and i use a lot of weird voicings in a high gain setting. the thing is, my legacy loses a lot of definition when the gain gets turned up.

so i need: high gain, serious definition, fat warm clean tone, effects loop would be nice. :yesway:

also, note that i don't want to spend $87236926387623 on a head.

i can get a madison divinity for $900, and i was sort of leaning towards that.

suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
in that price range you really should try to score a used engl fireball

bulb

Reaction score
i have heard mostly bad things about madison, especially regarding their durability.

if you can spend up to 1300, you could try to score a used engl powerball, which i would highly reccomend

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i have heard mostly bad things about madison, especially regarding their durability.

it's all shite. I'm not going to go into detail again but to sum it up there is no records anywhere of a single one failing.

bulb

Reaction score
well i mean i heard that from people who owned them and took em on tour and had problems with them, not like in reviews or forums...

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
well, i would not be taking it on a world tour or anything.
it would definitely see a few gigs, but it would mostly be a home recording and jamming with friends sort of amp.

if the divinity head can hold up to some minor abuse and still sound good, i would be happy.:agreed:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
I would lean towards ENGL, too... especially if you require a good clean channel

Loserchief

Rokuban Taicho
Reaction score
Engl will be your best choice ofr vicious Metal and great cleans. If you go for a new one you can easyly order one from thomann, they ship to norway and i think it's 30€ or something like that :)

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I would say madison (Their tone still gives me the happy hardon they did a year ago). Get one with the ruby 6l6s in it (an extra $50 but they would bias everything up so it would be plug and play).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
what about Koch? i was checking out their clips on the site, and the cleans are amazing and with the proper EQ, im thinking the crunch could be pretty brutal.