I need advice buying a 7 string

FEcorvus

Reaction score
hello all, my first post here but I've been a longtime lurker

I'm looking to buy a sevenstring for the first time, I've got an 8 string an I just can't seem to find a good use for the 8th string in the band I'm with

a middle range price is preferable, but I definately don't mind saving up for several months to get something that's perfect for me

I tend to like thin lightweight body profiles, my 8 and my primary 6 string are both ibanez s series, and my thickest is a strat

I'm not very picky on scale length since I have long thin fingers

I'd really prefer having a floating bridge that I can block for dives only

for tone I play mostly high gain tone with low mids and high treble and bass, I'll probably put bkp blackhawks or something similar in it if you guys have any wood suggestions for that kind of sound

thank you for advance for any advice!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metale

Reaction score
I wrote a lenghty reply until my browser decided to crash.

Bottom line, I recommend looking into Jacksons, there are a couple good ones at about 600 new. There is a cheaper Dean, but I would save up for Jackson.

However, go to a near shop a try soke hardtail Ibanez and Jacksons. If you can live without a trem, there are lots of good options under $500.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
Are you willing to buy used? If so, the automatic response would be Ibanez RG7420, RG7620, or S7420. The prices on these seem to be going up slowly, but last I checked, you could get an RG7620 for about $600 in nice condition.

PS: Don't buy a Dean.

metale

Reaction score
I have a Dean. Good guitar, very ressonant and great sustain. Not one of those $199 Dimebag guitars though.

FEcorvus

Reaction score
I appreciate the input guys!
this would be so much easier if any of my local stores actually sold something other than peavey or epiphone, the nearest decent music store is around 120 mi away unfortunately, or I would just put hands on everything till I found what I wanted, I'll look into those recommendations especially the s7420, I've read tons of good reviews on it as a workhorse

also I've been looking into the hell raiser c7 if either of you have experience with them, I was also researching agiles but reviews are mostly mixed with build quality cited as a con, so I've since given up on that
as a side question do you think is there enough of a difference in quality to justify an ibby prestige, or should I only be looking at premiums and standards? the iron labels seem to get the same kind of negative reviews the agiles got
also as an option I've been researching semicustoms like carvin and warmoth but I don't know much about that

CrazyDean

Reaction score
I have a Dean. Good guitar, very ressonant and great sustain. Not one of those $199 Dimebag guitars though.

I had a USA RC7 and it had some serious problems. The trem posts were cheap and would wobble a bit. The nut also moved some when doing trem work. If a $2k unmodded guitar has problems, I tend to stay away from that company.

As a clarification on the Ibanez S7420, I am referring to the one made in Japan around 2000 with the Lo TRS-7 trem. This is not the same guitar as the more current models made in Indonesia with the ZR7 trem.

When it comes to choosing any Ibanez guitar, the quality comes from the factory it was produced in. Japan=USA>Korea>Indonesia>>China. The Prestige and J.Craft are both made in Japan and hence the best options. Many older Ibanez guitars came from Japan, but don't have the Presige logo and just say "Ibanez" on the heastock. The RG7620, for example. This is why many people suggest the older RG7620 and Universe guitars over new models at the same price. The Premium and Iron Label lines come from Indonesia.

I don't know much about Warmoth, do they sell full guitars or just parts? Many people recommend Carvin. It likely hasn't been suggested because you didn't specify a price-range. Most people wouldn't consider $1500+ to be "middle range". If you are really picky or want something specific, Carvin/Kiesel may be the way to go.

FEcorvus

Reaction score
ah that clears thing up quite a bit about the ibanez situation, warmoth sells bodies and necks seperately, and I wasn't sure about the price on carvin, but if it's that high I'll probably have to save up a month or 2 or sell one of my 6 strings to afford it if I settle on it, I really appreciate all the help and info

metale

Reaction score
I had a USA RC7 and it had some serious problems. The trem posts were cheap and would wobble a bit. The nut also moved some when doing trem work. If a $2k unmodded guitar has problems, I tend to stay away from that company.

Mine is aptly called "Dean Hardtail, so no wonder it hasn't that kind of problems :lol: So yeah, if the OP wants a trem, may as well stay away from those.

I had 2 MIJ RG7420s and they were also not very good due to the trems, so stay away from those too.