I need advice on shredding.

• Thread starter djpharoah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
K - all my guitar life I have been a riffer. I learn riffs or I make them up.

Now that I have a beautiful guitar I want to learn how to shred. Any advice, tricks, techniques or whatever to help me do so would be awesome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
1) get a metronome
2) Paul Gilbert's Intense rock 1 video
3) Learn to Sweep
4) Learn to pick w/alternate & Economy picking
5) Learn to tap with more than one finger
6) Learn Legato
7) Learn all your modes & scales & Arpeggios & how to use them
8) Learn to Phrase over any musical context & Style
9) Learn to play over changes
10) DO EVERYTHING THAT RELATES TO CHOPS w/ a METRONOME.
11)Check out Chopsfromhell.com

peace

Santiago Dobles
www.myspace.com/aghora
www.aghora.org

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
1) get a metronome
3) Learn to Sweep
6) Learn Legato

peace

Santiago Dobles
www.myspace.com/aghora
www.aghora.org

What he said.

Gilbucci

Dude..for real?
Reaction score
An awesome DVD to start with is Rusty Cooley's Basic Training. He goes over the fundementals of Legato and Alternate picking. You can download it straight from the site for only $20.

Reaction score
Another thing (in addition to all the things mentioned) is to find a teacher who can shred and can teach you how to as well... that way you can ensure the fastest progress possible.

Mike Philippov

Nick

Reaction score
i need to sort my alternate picking out i have a bad habbit of just going with the flow of string changes rather than being stricktly up down up down up down

im by no means a shredder either but im currently working on some necrophagist stuff (fermented offal discharge solo)

Its taking me ages but im slowly working my way through it. i find that learning things you like is a really good way to keep yourself interested and challanged at the same time.

guitar pro helps a lot for this.

thanks to all you crazy tabbers out there

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
1) get a metronome
3) Learn to Sweep
6) Learn Legato

peace

Santiago Dobles
MySpace.com - Aghora - MIAMI, FLORIDA - Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/aghora
Official Aghora Website

Ya that sounds about right :lol: , especially # 10.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
12) Avoid the temptation to circumvent 1-11. It's easy to take short cuts, and the road is MUCH longer because of them.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1) get a metronome
3) Learn to Sweep
6) Learn Legato

peace

Santiago Dobles
MySpace.com - Aghora - MIAMI, FLORIDA - Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/aghora
Official Aghora Website

Agreed. I'd also recommend picking up Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, and Petrucci's Rock dicipline.

Also, forget the term "shred." Learn to play lead rather than learn to shred - it's a simple distinction, but a lot of the mindset is what's wrong with shred in general, and what's right with the true masters of the genre. If I were you, I'd go RIGHT THIS MINUTE and learn the outro solo to "Comfortably Numb," before you even start metronome practice. Ultimately, there's only a handful of players I've ever heard match the artistry of that solo, and learning to phrase like that is just as important as learning to play 16ths at 205bpm.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd also recommend picking up Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, and Petrucci's Rock dicipline.

Also, forget the term "shred." Learn to play lead rather than learn to shred - it's a simple distinction, but a lot of the mindset is what's wrong with shred in general, and what's right with the true masters of the genre. If I were you, I'd go RIGHT THIS MINUTE and learn the outro solo to "Comfortably Numb," before you even start metronome practice. Ultimately, there's only a handful of players I've ever heard match the artistry of that solo, and learning to phrase like that is just as important as learning to play 16ths at 205bpm.

GREAT advice.:yesway: Hell, just taking the time to develop a decent vibrato will put you leagues ahead of most wannabe-shredders.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
well folks, instead of BUYING a metronome, use a program like "Fruity Loops". You can sit there and make singles, doubles, triplets and quads to help train you on FF-esque style riffing, while still staying in time.

what i do to make some of my rhythmns is when i hear it in my head, ill actually map it out on the program, then pick up the guitar and learn the rhythm by practicing it with the program. then once i learn it and have it solid, switch it over to a standard 4/4 beat with regular drums, and WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

herhehe, just my two cents

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd go RIGHT THIS MINUTE and learn the outro solo to "Comfortably Numb," before you even start metronome practice. Ultimately, there's only a handful of players I've ever heard match the artistry of that solo, and learning to phrase like that is just as important as learning to play 16ths at 205bpm.

yeah. learn from the ground up. I think guys who develop chops before they develop phrasing and melody severely hurt their own creative growth.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
well folks, instead of BUYING a metronome, use a program like "Fruity Loops". You can sit there and make singles, doubles, triplets and quads to help train you on FF-esque style riffing, while still staying in time.

what i do to make some of my rhythmns is when i hear it in my head, ill actually map it out on the program, then pick up the guitar and learn the rhythm by practicing it with the program. then once i learn it and have it solid, switch it over to a standard 4/4 beat with regular drums, and WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

herhehe, just my two cents

Yeah, I use Fruity Loops too. It's nice to have a metronome lying around - a lot of the time I'll do scale lines and drills on my acoustic in the living room - but I'd rather practice against a 16th-note hi-hat groove with a simple kick/snare thing going on to accent down beats than a simple click.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd also recommend picking up Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

I recommend this book too!

It has great exercises over a broad range of techniques.

:wub: this book. It's given me some great ideas, and has improved my comfort on the fretboard.

Yeah, I use Fruity Loops too. It's nice to have a metronome lying around - a lot of the time I'll do scale lines and drills on my acoustic in the living room - but I'd rather practice against a 16th-note hi-hat groove with a simple kick/snare thing going on to accent down beats than a simple click.

Or guitar pro.

It may be midi... But it's cheap and easy. :yesway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...whereas Fruity Loops is free and easier. :fawk:

But yeah, learning how to play 32nd sweep arpeggios is cool and all, but it's also kind of important to learn the vocabulary of rock lead guitar before jumping straight into Rusty Cooley land. My suggestion would be to start doing chromatic drills and excersizes and whatnot, but also learn some Floyd and some Jimi - "Time," "Comfortably Numb," "Hey Joe," whatever. Just get the basic lead guitar vocabulary down, because 90% of "shred" players are drawing at least in part on the groundwork these guys laid down.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Oh, I just use the demo. :lol: It's fully functional, you just can't save. You can still export looks (win) and it takes all of 30 seconds to program a click (win). Clearly, it's a win-win situation. :fawk:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
rather than paying for fruity loops, just go to metronomeonline.com ;D

')