I Need Help Choosing My First Midi Controller

Reaction score
Ive been looking for a midi keyboard for a while now and my friend wants me to do music for his films for school. So i need one asap. Here is my list, any help to choose the best would be great :)

Any other brands i should check out? Id love it if the price was under 500

Akai Pro MPK61 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
Roland A800 Pro 61-Key MIDI Controller Keyboard
Novation 61SL MKII 61SLMKII 61-Key MIDI Controller
Novation Impulse 61 USB Midi Controller Keyboard
M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 Advanced 61-Key USB MIDI Controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

m4rK

Reaction score
I've had an Axiom 49 for a couple years now and am very happy with it. A very capable and solid unit for the money I paid.
I would like to add an Akai to the mix someday but I have never tried one out so I have no advice for you there. Good luck..

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Do you want the keys to feel like a legitimate piano? Models like the Axiom have weighted keys, to simulate a piano's hammer action. I find this awesome when using the keyboard to play piano like sounds, but not as handy when doing synthetic stuff like pads or dirty electronic bass lines.

Reaction score
I was set on the axiom but ive read that it only works with m powered pro tools and i have le >.<

semi weighted keys are fine, im not a piano player im just going to use this for ambiance and effects/soundscapes.
Thinking about it now, should i get a synth? I would like a synth with automap features so i can control pro tools, not a biiig issue but would be nice.

Ive been looking at this... Arturia Analog Experience - The Laboratory

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I don't understand why it would only work with M-powered ProTools. A MIDI controller is only sending MIDI data, and therefore should be compatible with anything that accepts MIDI data.

Sure, it might have some pre-programmed controller maps for one program or another, but there's no reason (that I am aware of) that it shouldn't still work with anything else.

Reaction score
I was looking at the m-audio venom but avid said it only works with pro tools m. Which is ridiculous seeing as Le and M are the exact same thing, but u can use m-audio stuff. A rip off IMO