I need help with painting a guitar.

• Thread starter phrygian12
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phrygian12

Reaction score
So I'll be ordering a Warmoth strat body pretty soon.

I've been dying for a modern strat with a Caparison's Scarab finish.
horus_scarab-bh.jpg

The body I'll be getting will be Alder. I've never painted a guitar before and was wondering how would I go about trying to get that sort of finish? I have some junk wood that I will be practicing on.

I'm assuming they used a sponge dipped in black and lightly pat down around the body. Anyone who has a Caparison with that finish and could provide close up pictures of the guitar in various lighting would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moikey

Reaction score
It definitely looks layered. Best bet is to practise on some cheap ass wood until you get the right effect.

I'd approach it like :

Green base coat (let dry) > green coat (dab with sponge) > spray black in areas (dab with sponge) > overlay with green (dab with sponge)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I know nothing about that particular finish. So why am I here? I wanted to warn you that staining will look quite different on junk wood than it will on good wood. It will still give you some idea, though. I think starting a project and expecting it to look a certain way in the end is too ambitious for a beginner. Why not experiment and simply hope for something that looks unique and cool? That's almost certain to work out, if you are patient enough.

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
It looks like "faux painting". There are probably a million tutorials on that on YouTube. That looks really cool. Make sure you pic a paint that can be clear coated if you plan on doing a clear over it.

phrygian12

Reaction score
I know nothing about that particular finish. So why am I here? I wanted to warn you that staining will look quite different on junk wood than it will on good wood. It will still give you some idea, though. I think starting a project and expecting it to look a certain way in the end is too ambitious for a beginner. Why not experiment and simply hope for something that looks unique and cool? That's almost certain to work out, if you are patient enough.

I have some scraps of Adler from a body I made. I'm gonna use those as testing to try and get a similar effect.
though you're absolutely right that this may be too much for a newbie. I just wanted to give it a shot. If it doesn't work out then I'll just try something simple.

It looks like "faux painting". There are probably a million tutorials on that on YouTube. That looks really cool. Make sure you pic a paint that can be clear coated if you plan on doing a clear over it.

Awesome sauce! I do want it to be really glossy so what sort of paint would I be looking at? I'm sure everyone is probably face palming at my questions.

proach it like :
F
Green base coat (let dry) > green coat (dab with sponge) > spray black in areas (dab with sponge) > overlay with green (dab with sponge)[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I was thinking. It's an intresting finish. I have some scraps of Alder wood from a project that haven't finished yet.

Should I use a primer? Or jusr jump into it with the color and do several coats like you suggested?

Killemall1983

Reaction score
That finish is a technique and paint called marbilizer.
You spray your basecaot then the marbilizer paint. Then you take a plastic bag and dab it and it leaves the patter like that. You can do a lot of different kind of patterns and effects with it. Its the same way jackson does their eerie dess swirl.

')