I need quick opinions guys.

• Thread starter Larrikin666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Here are my options

• Total voters

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As the nice black sheep I am, I couldn't let the KxK pass. While I found the couple of Bernie's guitars I played to be stellar stuff (and they most certainly are), the feel of whole 27" scales seems to sacrifice some warmth I treasure in the upper registers, and fanned frets have proven to be a wonderful solution to the tension issues that arise - excellent tension balance and note separation, seamless adaptation, and still you have the warmth we're accustomed to in the treble strings.

I didn't order the Rico as well just because I have quite a few incoming NGD's and I had to be rational, as I was tempted as fuck to do so. Both axes will basically rape what you currently own, unless Rob takes on drinking and Bernie suddenly starts believing being a crackhead is the way to go. :lol:

tl;dr - if you fancy having 2 awesome axes, get both, shift the rest. They're pretty much offering them, considering what they are.

This. Though to be honest picking one I would have taken the KxK offer over the BRJ just because the KxK is a more unique guitar. Let's face it, an oil finished standard scale 7 isn't terribly hard to come by, a fanned fret 7 for $2k is.

Actually I had the conversation with Rob that sure, just when I was done buying 7s because I have mostly all the bases covered he had to introduce something unique :lol: Personally I want one to tune the 7th string down to A for jazzier stuff ;)

(I voted buy both though as they'll both eat the production guitars alive)

It's weird to me that Americans spend like lotto winners when it comes to crazy impractical stuff, yet a greater percentage of you are unemployed than in the Great Depression. But whatever. If money's not an issue, do what you want :D

While it's a nice gesture to donate a car to a person who probably wakes up screaming because of the shit he's seen and done, it doesn't really have much to do with buying guitars, does it?

It's weird to me that you care so much about how this guy spends his money and use it as an excuse to bash americans??? Go back to watching the CBC douche.

Both of you guys can knock off the pontificating / name calling unless you'd like a week off from the site.

EDIT: In fact I missed one of Koshchei's two obnoxious posts, enjoy your week off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe it's possible to transfer a reservation on a KxK or BRJ to someone else if I change my mind between now and then.

Regardless if it's "officially" transferable, both those guitars are being sold via special, very limited runs, so it'd be quite easy to "sell" your builds if need be, probably with very minimal loss.

Look at it this way, worse case scenario, you'll have a couple customs to dick around with for awhile. :lol:

Who knows, you may fall in love with one and order a 6-string version in the future. If you don't get along with the 7th string.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go for both.
both are being offerred at crazy low prices (as compared to the usual pricing).
Both are great builders.
I've never played a KXK but everyone that has one raves about them.
The BRJ I recently got is just an amazing guitar.
If the Black Friday run was floyded I'd be in for another :agreed:
at these prices I don't think you'd take a bath as bad as say, I would if I decided to sell my BRJ.
Both builders will destroy any 7 "off the rack".

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
This. Though to be honest picking one I would have taken the KxK offer over the BRJ just because the KxK is a more unique guitar. Let's face it, an oil finished standard scale 7 isn't terribly hard to come by, a fanned fret 7 for $2k is.

Actually I had the conversation with Rob that sure, just when I was done buying 7s because I have mostly all the bases covered he had to introduce something unique :lol: Personally I want one to tune the 7th string down to A for jazzier stuff ;)

(I voted buy both though as they'll both eat the production guitars alive)

I still have a month to jump on the KxK. I have a lot more options to take into consideration there, so I have some thinking to do. I definitely plan on jumping on it, but I want to think more about top wood, finish, upgrades, etc. I have ALOT of gear that I can sell before then to clear out room. If our new guitarist buys my ENGL full stack...that would fully fund BOTH guitars. I'm also getting rid of my Atomic Reactor cab and Laboga head. I'll be rolling deep in awesome guitars sometime in the future.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still have a month to jump on the KxK. I have a lot more options to take into consideration there, so I have some thinking to do. I definitely plan on jumping on it, but I want to think more about top wood, finish, upgrades, etc. I have ALOT of gear that I can sell before then to clear out room. If our new guitarist buys my ENGL full stack...that would fully fund BOTH guitars. I'm also getting rid of my Atomic Reactor cab and Laboga head. I'll be rolling deep in awesome guitars sometime in the future.

My only comment is KxK tends to use reasonably thick tops so I'd stay away from Spalt. It looks cool as hell, but tonally is really dead as it's basically rotting wood impregnated with epoxy to harden it (at least that's how most people harden the spalt, not sure what KxK is planning to do with it)

Glad to hear you're planning on getting in on the deal :yesway:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Even though techno has already addressed the name-calling issue, I can't help wondering how Christmas was presented as mere present offering consumerism festival. It's a bit saddening, to be honest.

I'll also stand by Max's suggestion, as I was clearly under the impression of you needing to flog the axes you own should you opt to get both BRJ and KXK, yet it is not the case. :) should you not like the KXK, fear not - I'll gladly relieve you of such a horrible burden. :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll also stand by Max's suggestion, as I was clearly under the impression of you needing to flog the axes you own should you opt to get both BRJ and KXK, yet it is not the case. :) should you not like the KXK, fear not - I'll gladly relieve you of such a horrible burden. :lol:

Yeah after seeing you don't need to sell anything, I'd at least keep the ordered sevens until one of the customs would be ready so you have a 7 to play :D

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm definitely ordering both guitars. My Axe-FX just sold for enough on eBay to basically cover both guitars. I just need to figure out the specs for the KxK now. Suggestions will be appreciated. The top wood and finish are my biggest concern right now.

clouds

Reaction score
I bought three Axe-FX Ultras, an Ibanez MTM1, Ibanez XPT700HX, VHT Sig:X, ENGL e840, two VHT 2/90/2s, Fractal Atomic Reactor, ENGL Standard 4x12, and ENGL XXL Pro 4x12 just this year. I also donated a car to a veteran returning from Iraq...

I hate you :lol:.

But seriously, I voted for both the customs. Good luck with whatever you choose :yesway:.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
I say just get all of them if its not too financially irresponsible for you. I've really been upgrading my guitar collection lately to more high-end instruments and I put down my deposit for the BRJ deal and I'm kicking around getting the KXK as well. Like others have mentioned, if you end up not liking one or both of them, I doubt you'd take too much of a hit unloading them. These are really sweet deals and if things are going well for you financially right now, might as well go ahead and stimulate the economy and support some awesome luthiers by buying these, right?

jl-austin

Reaction score
I skipped all the name calling and jealous drama.

My opinion is get the KxK, and either keep the LTD and Agile because you aren't gonna get any thing for them any way. Or you could donate them. The KxK is on a completely different level than the LTD or Agile.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
The Agile six string just arrived today. It's been probably 6 or 7 years since I played a baritone. It feels interesting. I got freaked out by a few bad threads about the quality of Agiles, but this guitar is immaculate.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
122187889_photobucket_34466_.jpg

122187889_photobucket_34468_.jpg

The previous owner upgraded the pickups to the Mick Thompson Blackouts. Same pickups in my MTM1. I love them.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Agile six string just arrived today. It's been probably 6 or 7 years since I played a baritone. It feels interesting. I got freaked out by a few bad threads about the quality of Agiles, but this guitar is immaculate.

Yeah I've had seven Agiles and only two went back, one was a super-discounted b-stock that turned out to have some uneven frets and the other I just didn't like the cut of the ebony board on it (looked more like rosewood to be honest)

That looks really sweet :yesway:

abstract

Reaction score
It's weird to me that you care so much about how this guy spends his money and use it as an excuse to bash americans??? Go back to watching the CBC douche.

Word up. I don't even want to identify as Canadian anymore. The way the country views itself is just overpatriotic elitist hypocrisy.

Latest posts

')