I need some pedals to make noises and effects!

Reaction score
Hello, I've never owned any pedals before, so I do not really know where to start. I've heard the Boss dd-7 is a good delay, but can you make weird noises with it if you tweak the knobs? I just want a pedal that I can make cool noises with!

like the sounds at 1:56, and yes, it is a pedal.

Btw, you should check out more of that band, We Are the City.:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
A good place to start would be something like a Boss ME-25 or Line 6 M5. Both are relatively cheap (especially if it's used) and if you aren't completely sure what kind of pedal you're looking for, multi-fx pedals like those have dozens of effects you can experiment with. It can be a pretty tricky business trying to buy a pedal if you aren't 100% sure what you're looking for.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I don't always make noise, but when I do, I use:

A/DA Flanger
Eventide Pitchfactor
Eventide Timefactor

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
Eventide pedals are always super fun. I tend to make a lot of fun noise just by fuxing around in logic with raw wave forms.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Heh, my band members love We Are The City. And I love making those noises. :)

I can recommend a lot of good pedals for making noises with for sure. First up is the MXR Bass Envelope Filter. Now I know you think it's like any other envelop filter but honestly it's like an ambient pad in a box, as well as a normal envelope filter.

Moogerfoogers are rad if you got the money and enjoy analog synth sounding stuff.

EHX Freeze is awesome if you run it with other pedals, like delay and modulation. You can get some cool tones by just holding a chord with the pedal, then using an analog delay like the MXR Carbon Copy to make it self-oscillate on itself.

Speaking of which...

As I said, any TRUE analog delay will make weird noises when you mess with the knobs, but be careful, it CAN cause damage to your gear if you're not careful about the volume. Using a compressor after the delay can help.

If you want more ideas, let me know. There's just too many to list right now. :p

metalguy_hk

Reaction score
Guys, wht if I want to make these noises by turning the knobs only instead of playing a chords through guitar like the MXR carbon copy analog delay, thanks

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
@ the OP - Almost any delay pedal with adjustable rate and repeats will get you the sound from the original vid.

If you're really interested in what effect pedals are capable of, you should watch the Effectology series on YouTube, the video series which shows how one can combine different effects to get surprising results.

----

Regarding the MXR Bass Envelope Filter being an "ambient pad in a box," I'd love to see a vid demonstrating that. I own quite a few envelope filters, including the MXR, and that is just not true of any of them.

However, if "ambient pad in a box" is what you want (assuming the normal definition of "ambient pad," of course), then I highly recommend the ZCat Hold-Delay-Chorus or the Hold 2. I own both the EHX Freeze and the ZCat Hold-Delay-Chorus, and I bought a second ZCat.

dooredge

Leatherneck
Reaction score
Check out Dwarfcraft pedals. They make some insane tweaker pedals. I have the Hax.

Dwarfcraft Hax - YouTube

Another pedal I have that I love is the Strymon El Capistan. It's a dTape Echo and you can get some great haunting sounds with it.

Strymon - El Capistan Tape Echo & Blue Sky Reverb Shimmer - YouTube

Last but not least is the Akai Professional E2 Headrush. It's a looper, tape echo, and delay pedal all wrapped into one. Great price too.

Akai E2 Head Rush Delay / Looper Pedal Demonstration, Part One - YouTube

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Check Montreal Assembly's Jaywalking pedal out. A delay with an input for an expression pedal so you can basically "twist" the delay time with a foot pedal.

montreal assembly: Jaywalking

I own the White Fritter and the Probability of a Fax Machine. Scott's handiwork is excellent and his prices are stupid low for handmade, entirely original effects.

Reaction score
I went to Long and McQuade today and messed with the boss dd7, and i got kinda got that noise from Astronomers :D. But I've seen them live multiple times, and it doesn't really look or sound like David, the guitarist, plays the guitar to get the noise and the feedback...
I will definitely look in to those pedals.
Would a tremelo pedal also be good?

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Yeah I love we are the city. Would a looper be a good idea?

The more suggestions, the merrier!

You could go with a looper, but honestly I find them harder to work with onstage than doing it all live. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure many would say otherwise.

Also, one of the most amazing ambient pad sounds I've ever done was setting my Nova Delay to an extremely dark tape setting, rolling off my tone knob on the guitar, then plucking a chord (with fingers for a softer sound, playing with a pick for a harder sound) and fading in a chord. Set the delay and feedback time quite long and it'll go forever. It's so gorgeous that sometimes I'll just fade in a Cadd9 and just leave it on while I do homework. It starts to sort of have a chorus effect on itself and a warmth that's just amazing. Using modulated repeats can also help add to that.

EDIT: Explorer: Perhaps not in itself, (you could get away with it but it requires more work) but with an EHX Freeze and/or delay pedal it really is.

bill ruppert

Reaction score
Bjorn
Any Analog delay in feedback will get you that sound.
I used it in a Doctor Who clip.
It starts at 1:35 in

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
All types of weird noise reside here:

RingWormModulator-11.png

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in Burnaby. If you wanna swing by and check out some of my weirdo effects, drop me a line.

')