I need to stop going to computer forums....

• Thread starter Jeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DomitianX

Oxygen Converter
Reaction score
Windows doesn't ask for a password, but it gives a message saying, "A program is trying to get installed. This may be dangerous. What do you do?" and then the options "allow" and "reject" pop up and you can choose which one. If you are running the computer without admin rights, it will tell you that you need to have admin rights to install the software and it will not let you install it.

You can, of course, turn off User Account Control and give yourself full user rights. But so what?

Agreed, but its contributing to the bad habit of "just click the button and install because I dont want to be bothered". By at least asking for a password instead, it triggers a different thought and makes the user think for a second instead of just clicking a button out of habit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Windows doesn't ask for a password, but it gives a message saying, "A program is trying to get installed. This may be dangerous. What do you do?" and then the options "allow" and "reject" pop up and you can choose which one. If you are running the computer without admin rights, it will tell you that you need to have admin rights to install the software and it will not let you install it.

The password thing doesn't really make sense in the context of a regular Windows home computer. Generally the computer is only used by one person, who is also owner and administrator. He or she just needs to be protected from applications that try to do nasty things.

In a network environment it's different. The person using the computer is not necessarily also the owner and/or administrator, so in that case you will change the user access profile so that you actually need to enter the user and password when you want to do something with elevated rights. Or actually, it means you'll have to get someone with elevated rights to do it for you, on your computer.

DomitianX

Oxygen Converter
Reaction score
The password thing doesn't really make sense in the context of a regular Windows home computer. Generally the computer is only used by one person, who is also owner and administrator. He or she just needs to be protected from applications that try to do nasty things.

In a network environment it's different. The person using the computer is not necessarily also the owner and/or administrator, so in that case you will change the user access profile so that you actually need to enter the user and password when you want to do something with elevated rights. Or actually, it means you'll have to get someone with elevated rights to do it for you, on your computer.

I sort of like the password thing. Or anything other than a button. Maybe a captcha? Something other than a button. People really need to get out of the habit of just clicking to get instant gratification.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I sort of like the password thing. Or anything other than a button. Maybe a captcha? Something other than a button. People really need to get out of the habit of just clicking to get instant gratification.

I found it annoying because it would say it about everything, even Microsoft software. So I'd have a bunch of software I installed from CDs and DVDs (many of which published by Microsoft) and it would keep asking me if I trusted this program published by Microsoft.

A password or captcha is completely unnecessary and would just make the process even more annoying. Whenever I see a program that I don't trust, I say "reject." If it's something that I've personally choosen to install, then, of course, I'm going to allow it. I have never ever found a virus on any of my personal computers (and I've owned 11 by now), but I have found tons on my family computers over the years and on friend's computers.

Some people may think this was a bad choice, but I turned off User Account Control because it annoyed me so much. No viruses, crashing, or problems of any kind so far.

DomitianX

Oxygen Converter
Reaction score
I found it annoying because it would say it about everything, even Microsoft software. So I'd have a bunch of software I installed from CDs and DVDs (many of which published by Microsoft) and it would keep asking me if I trusted this program published by Microsoft.

A password or captcha is completely unnecessary and would just make the process even more annoying. Whenever I see a program that I don't trust, I say "reject." If it's something that I've personally choosen to install, then, of course, I'm going to allow it. I have never ever found a virus on any of my personal computers (and I've owned 11 by now), but I have found tons on my family computers over the years and on friend's computers.

Some people may think this was a bad choice, but I turned off User Account Control because it annoyed me so much. No viruses, crashing, or problems of any kind so far.

You're the exception and there should be an option for you to trust a provider that has been digitally signed or you deem trustworthy. I would love that myself. I have zero problems with virus/spyware, etc because I am a pretty advanced user.

BUT I still say that for the average lay person, it should be a bit more involved than just a click of the button. If they are advanced enough to figure out how to turn it off then they should be smart enough to not click every button that pops up.

')