I Recreated The Studio Rig Of Classic Alice In Chains

• Thread starter thefyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thefyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions man I was hoping for an amp circuit mod :)

I know there are a lot of ways to skin a cat and in Sludge and Doom a lot of different ways to achieve the same sound, but I like my amp to do most of the work. Pedals for me are for colour generally and the 25% of the time I'm not playing rhythm - In Europe I've relied on Orange as they are generally fatter, but last time I played a stock JCM it wasn't dark/bassy enough and is seemed too tight in the mids and very upper mid. In NZ Its hard to find Orange at non-insane prices, but 2nd hand Marshalls are easier to come by.

If you have any suggestions along these lines I'd be interested because as the only guitarist in a power trio (one who sings) I need to move air and fill out space - swap the coupling caps maybe?

The best mod imo is more drastic. It's an extra gain stage mod amd a resonance mod will open up the beef.

But the most popular mod is undoing mods on JCM800's.

95% of guys modding amps are usually not very good at it. I got lucky with my mods and had a top guy do it for me. (He's retired)

This is the JCM800 with the mod barley active and a ts9.

https://youtu.be/8CZuduIGIpI

Unless you can find a guy locally who's famous for modding I'd really look i to pedals. The JCM800 IMO is the best stock amp in production.

Orange suck IMO. But I'm old school. Bass is for bass guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Orange suck IMO. But I'm old school. Bass is for bass guitars.

Orange OR series 1972
Marsahall JCM800 1981

I think that technically means I'm more old school :cool:

You might misunderstand me on the bass thing, its not the same as the bass of a bass amp - but its what makes amps like OR120's, Matamp gt120 and Sunn Model T's coveted by Doom and Sludge guys. It makes it thick, dark and fat and some might also say mushy and muddy, but thats what founded the sound of bands like Sleep. But I think based on your vids we have a wildly differing take on good tone which is all good.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to respond and the cool AIC vid - I'm going to just keep an eye out for a more suitable second hand amp than a JCM or Marshall as they aren't for me in their stock configuration, they are just too bright.

Cheers

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
very interesting ! I would never go as nerdy as buying as-original-as-possible gear, haha, but the overall technique (mic behind an open back cabinet, n stuff) was very interesting to discover ! :wub:

thefyn

Reaction score
Orange OR series 1972
Marsahall JCM800 1981

THAT is different. Sweet amp. I played some of the other abominations at NAMM. WHAT are they thinking? I don't really rag on gear apart from two companies. Orange and Kiesel. So I always check the NAMM booth every year to see if it's changed.

When I was a teenager just starting 30 years ago I was in a junk shop and the little old lady had one of those heads for sale for 20 quid. About $30. I didn't buy it because I was so new I could not figure out the concept of standby. I also thought it was broke because something was lighting up inside it.

I keep waking up in a cold sweat about fbe one that got away. One of those cranked with a stack of 75's is terrifying. Love it.

The bright aspect can be fixed with speakers. Speakers have more impact than an amp tonally than Mods etc. the room also can make amps sound bright. A good cheap speaker for bass are the warehouse cl80 clones. Also g12h-100.

You have the best JCM800. The vertical input. A resonance mod sounds like the trick. I think there is a simple mod where you clip the leg of a resistor or something simple but I think that's only effective at low vol. That is THE amp. But it is snarky. That's for me is what is part of its charm. My in the room tone compared to other people is kinda harsh. I'm obsessed with clarity.

thefyn

Reaction score
very interesting ! I would never go as nerdy as buying as-original-as-possible gear, haha, but the overall technique (mic behind an open back cabinet, n stuff) was very interesting to discover ! :wub:

Yep! I bought the Yamaha spx90 because a producer said it was a weapon for AIC, RATM and so may other 90's mega albums so I knew i would get my money's worth out of it.

I also have a rule. Only buy it I can sell for more.

So a lot of the things I buy keep coming up in producer vids I watch. I've watched probably a 1000 hours re producers talk or studio tours etc. it's an amazing time to be learning about production/anything.

thefyn

Reaction score
I'm going to just keep an eye out for a more suitable second hand amp than a JCM or Marshall as they aren't for me in their stock configuration, they are just too bright.

Cheers

Here is a good vid backing up My claim that speakers have the most effect on amps.

https://youtu.be/rzZGr4qqCQo

By the way do you use vintage 30's? They mic up great but in the room (IMO) they don't sound as good as 75's, CL80 or G12h-100.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
THAT is different. Sweet amp. I played some of the other abominations at NAMM. WHAT are they thinking? I don't really rag on gear apart from two companies. Orange and Kiesel. So I always check the NAMM booth every year to see if it's changed.

YMMV I guess - I don't think their newer stuff is bad at all. Granted if I had a choice, resources and opportunity to put an OR120 to use I'd grab one of those. But I've gotten sounds I like out of a TH30, OR50 and Rockerverb.

I only bothered to look at Marshalls because I've gone eco-hippy and only buy 2nd hand bar stings and cables (Carbon miles and all), and they are easier to find in my home country.

When I was a teenager just starting 30 years ago I was in a junk shop and the little old lady had one of those heads for sale for 20 quid. About $30. I didn't buy it because I was so new I could not figure out the concept of standby. I also thought it was broke because something was lighting up inside it.

I keep waking up in a cold sweat about fbe one that got away. One of those cranked with a stack of 75's is terrifying. Love it.

Yeah I missed that as I started playing guitar after the Orange/Matamp vintage feeding frenzy began and they became expensive as F*. 20 quid is a steal though - I know you're originally from Blighty, but do I detect a welsh accent? I lived in the UK for like 7 years.

The bright aspect can be fixed with speakers.

Yeah I'm transiting between countries at the moment so don't have a stable rig but I will look into it, in relation to speakers I've been a bit lax with that kind of thing. My old cab in the Netherlands had 65watters in it - I just grabbed what Matt Pike from High on Fire used and was like 'cool'. But I should look into it - thanks for the tip.

I'm obsessed with clarity.

Yeah the tone quest is real - mine is about having huge lower mids, rolled off highs and a guitar sound thats thick and boomy.

')