I Recreated The Studio Rig Of Classic Alice In Chains

• Thread starter thefyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Thought they used one amp for lows, one amp for mids and one amp for highs? On Dirt anyway.

thefyn

Reaction score
Thought they used one amp for lows, one amp for mids and one amp for highs? On Dirt anyway.

Yep on dirt they had the kitchen sink. But the bones (sic) was a Marshall voice. There are conflicting stories from everyone involved but the Marshall/bogner is a constant. So if I had to pick one amp to get the heart of the tone, it's the Bogner/Marshall. A lot of preamps and layer tracks get mixed out. We'll never know for certain which amp was dominant when the fat was trimmed and mixed.

The 1x12 was def used on facelift and that was the main reveal in the vid. It's mind blowing to get that tone out of a 1x12.

Check how small it sounds in this nasty old clip I did comparing cabs.

https://youtu.be/dmk5qSn6OOg

So anyone with a 1x12 combo who plays live? Take two SM57's and confuse guitarists who cross their arms and watch from the bar as their hair blows back.

thefyn

Reaction score
Wow. That was nerdy ha ha. But very cool!

Thanks man! Next up is AC/DC highway to hell tone and EVH brown sound.

I am already bracing myself for the brown sound folklore comments. "The phaser was a large fan in front of the mic..."

Genocyber

Reaction score
Great vid... it's interesting to know how bands got distinctive sounds / tone when they recorded back in the day...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Really well done!

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
Thanks man! Next up is AC/DC highway to hell tone and EVH brown sound.

I am already bracing myself for the brown sound folklore comments. "The phaser was a large fan in front of the mic..."

Awesome I love watching that stuff and even more so on the legendary tones. and jesus your epi with the vintage pickups is awesome.

HotKarl

Reaction score
I enjoyed this very much. Jerry's tone is my favorite, and it often seems to difficult to nail down for me. Nicely done sir.

thefyn

Reaction score
Awesome I love watching that stuff and even more so on the legendary tones. and jesus your epi with the vintage pickups is awesome.

That Epi metal clip was my fav tone. The tone didn't make sense. It was warm and thick/syrupy like the intro held power chords. But when I did the string skipping it was sharp/tight as a razor.

It upset a few people because I played metal with a vintage setup but it was :hbang: :shred:

MPL09

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that! I think you did a really great job. Cantrell's tone, especially on Dirt, is just so awesome.

thefyn

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that! I think you did a really great job. Cantrell's tone, especially on Dirt, is just so awesome.

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I was apprehensive because it's so well loved.
:hbang:

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Geeky as F* but very very cool - the cab tip was brilliant. Thanks for going to all this effort its given me a lot of cool ideas.

Anything you can share about the nature of the JCM mod? I've been looking at ways of making a 2nd hard marshall more sludge friendly and less tight.

Thanks for sharing the quest man.

Tripped1

Reaction score
:hbang: :bowdown:

Holy crap I have always been a pretty big AIC fan (Facelift is what got me into guitar). But DUDE you seriously take the cake on that one. One request though, do Rain When I Die with that set up :shred:

That dual mic thing gives me ideas, particularly since I have an old Mesa slantface that is half open half closed.........issue is not getting the pitchforks bought out for cranking that beast up to the point that it starts to sing.

Either way, bravo.

thefyn

Reaction score
Geeky as F* but very very cool - the cab tip was brilliant. Thanks for going to all this effort its given me a lot of cool ideas.

Anything you can share about the nature of the JCM mod? I've been looking at ways of making a 2nd hard marshall more sludge friendly and less tight.

Thanks for sharing the quest man.

The JCM is a PERFECT base for the best mod of all for sludge. Pedals :)

A RAT pedal and Down tuning is great for sludge.

I used my JCM800 and a rat for this old track.

https://youtu.be/KgsFkhQT0Zg

Not really low tuned but it's still thick.

Also a weapon for sludge is an old dod octo pedal:

https://youtu.be/k-rW7uNmfPE

I don't cover sludge/doom enough on my channel so my examples are not perfect. But you get the idea. I also recommend the Gibson dirtyfingers for thick but articulate tones.

thefyn

Reaction score
:hbang: :bowdown:

Holy crap I have always been a pretty big AIC fan (Facelift is what got me into guitar). But DUDE you seriously take the cake on that one. One request though, do Rain When I Die with that set up :shred:

That dual mic thing gives me ideas, particularly since I have an old Mesa slantface that is half open half closed.........issue is not getting the pitchforks bought out for cranking that beast up to the point that it starts to sing.

Either way, bravo.

Haha. Thanks man. Really appreciate it. When I stood behind the cab I heard "that" aspect of the tone that I chased for 20 years!

I'll def try that setup again. I'll see what I can do about that track.

My mod was a resonance mod along with NOS mustard caps etc.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
The JCM is a PERFECT base for the best mod of all for sludge. Pedals :)

Thanks for the suggestions man I was hoping for an amp circuit mod :)

I know there are a lot of ways to skin a cat and in Sludge and Doom a lot of different ways to achieve the same sound, but I like my amp to do most of the work. Pedals for me are for colour generally and the 25% of the time I'm not playing rhythm - In Europe I've relied on Orange as they are generally fatter, but last time I played a stock JCM it wasn't dark/bassy enough and is seemed too tight in the mids and very upper mid. In NZ Its hard to find Orange at non-insane prices, but 2nd hand Marshalls are easier to come by.

If you have any suggestions along these lines I'd be interested because as the only guitarist in a power trio (one who sings) I need to move air and fill out space - swap the coupling caps maybe?

')