I think im trussfuckt

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
i was adjusting one of my guitarz, with massive bow. i've had the bow way lower than it currently is, but i was lowering it, and now it wont go back up. wtf happened?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah everything is closed
and i frankly dont trust my local tech. hes made it buzz worse than anything in times past

is i really dont gets it. its not broken. i can tighten it, and it takes the relief back down. and i can loosen it, and it goes back up. but not as up

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DUDE

Truss rod adjustments have to be made slowly and at max a 1/4 of a turn. Then you MUST let the neck adjust to the adjustment for atleast over night. When you rapidly loosen and tighten the truss rod without letting the neck adjust and settle your going to get fucked. Remember some necks adjust slowly and some very quickly.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm an idiot, i grabbed a different wrench, so it was feeling rough like it was turning, but it wasnt.
yeah, i've been giving it around a 1/3 turn a day maximum. I generally know how to not get fucked. i just thought i might have broken it, but was confused as it made NO noise. i got it back to where it was when i started. same bridge height, same bow, buzzin in the same spots.
i'm leaving it alone for now.
ill work on it a bit tomorrow.

in the meantime.
its fine in the upper frets. there is a bit of buzz in frets 2 and 3 in my high b and my g strings. there is minimal fretwear. how do i fix this? The rest of the neck is fine

Pirelli

Reaction score
Try lifting the action a little on the treble side? Some more relief should help too.

Is the bridge radiused to the same radius as the neck? The G/B might need some slight shimming if they aren't right.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
yep. 16" radius rg. i fixed it, tweaked the relief a little back and forth and the bridge both, got it good.
its not SUPER low, but its maybe a mm above where i like it, so whatever, it needs fretjob, that could help

FortePenance

Reaction score
DUDE

Truss rod adjustments have to be made slowly and at max a 1/4 of a turn. Then you MUST let the neck adjust to the adjustment for atleast over night. When you rapidly loosen and tighten the truss rod without letting the neck adjust and settle your going to get fucked. Remember some necks adjust slowly and some very quickly.

At least overnight for a max of 1/4th of a turn?! I dunno about you man, but that would make truss-rod adjustments a very long and tedious process... I generally let it adjust for anything from 10-30 minutes. then re-examine and adjust if needed.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At least overnight for a max of 1/4th of a turn?! I dunno about you man, but that would make truss-rod adjustments a very long and tedious process... I generally let it adjust for anything from 10-30 minutes. then re-examine and adjust if needed.

What I meant is that at max you do 1/4 of a turn before you check what has happened to the neck. Also I said let it sit overnight once you get it to where you like it before you try to change it up again.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
What I meant is that at max you do 1/4 of a turn before you check what has happened to the neck. Also I said let it sit overnight once you get it to where you like it before you try to change it up again.

I agree with this.
Some say you don't have to wait at all... I think it's more careful.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i do truss adjustments all the time. i was just tired and didn't have the wrench locked to the bolt. its all better