I think Strandbergs suck

Gator

Reaction score
As having owned three and sold them for years I can say it kinda depends on the setup for sure. I’ve seen some horror stories in the qc department, but then everyone I’ve personally got my hands on played all really well. So ymmv.

For sustain, I do believe it’s a bit less than other guitars. Specifically the newer NX line I’ve had more issues with. Even through a higher gain amp they have even less sustain than the previous models.

I’m not 100% sold on the guitars but they are comfortable to play and are very convenient for travel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cannot confirm for my Paul Masvidal Signature Boden OS 6. Mass is a factor, but not the only one. I believe adequate stiffness of the wood, neck/body connection, hardware-materials and installation can easily outweigh a mass "deficit". Basically everything that contributes to dampening will kill sustain.

Something different about Strandberg issues: I saw a video by Andre Fludd where he explained his preference for guitars without zero fret. I have never heard that opinion before and it surprised me, as zero-frets are usually sold as a premium feature on more expensive instruments, citing a more coherent tone between open and fretted notes, as well as an automatically well adjusted string height, compared to nut slots that have to be filed down correctly.
Andre's argument is that the strings will overtime dent the frets, due to the constant pressure, and create grooves. I have three headless guitars with zero frets, the strandberg, my Valravn and a DIY build. Also a Le Fay Bass, a boutique instrument, with zero fret and grooves in the headstock instead of a nut. What I found is that when I am bending on the treble strings on the strandberg, which I bought second hand, the strings seem to be stuck and then suddenly 'plink' out of position, which can be heard and eben more so felt. It doesn't happen on my DIY guitar, which is a mess otherwise, neither on the Valravn. The DIY is about 10 years older than the strandberg that was produced somewhere between 2014-16, the Valravn is much younger at around 2022. The Valravn and DIY have stainless steel frets, not sure about the Strandberg. The Le Fay doesn't present that problem, despite having non-steel frets. Might have to do with bigger bass-string radiuses and/or a shallower angle behind the zero-fret?

Before Andre's video, I thought something was wrong with the strandberg's nut or string-clamp. Has anyone else had similar experiences with zero-fret instruments in general and Strandbergs in particular?
Wouldn't a simple re-crown fix that?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Luthierboi's correct me plz but my thought is If the divots are really bad, I'd think you might need to do a full fret level since the string rests on the zero fret. If you lower the zero fret by removing the divots, you're essentially making the imaginary nut slots deeper and the pinging issue might turn into a fret sizzling issue with open notes.

Nice solution could be replacing the 0 fret with a piece of that newfangled wire that Philly Lute Supply is advertising that's harder than typical stainless steel or whatever.

"This new offering of Sintoms' is the new hardened ringing stainless steel fretwire known as an eternal (lasts forever) fretwire, but still workable by standard fretting tools. Hardened ringing stainless steel has a hardness of 42-45 HRC compared to 23-25 HRC of regular stainless steel fretwire"

Calija

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe you can find a different Strandberg to try.
I also wouldn't buy a guitar that doesn't feel right even if it might just be the setup because if it's not...
I unfortunately had no time to try one of the other ones and I live 3 hours away from a guitar that has strandbergs.
I never planned to buy that one, I just always saw strandbergs as something I could solo on all day and night.
I was sadly disappointed

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably a high fret(s) somewhere, or overall shitty setup. I highly doubt it has anything to do with mass alone. My Oni is quite light (though not as light as my strandberg) and it sustains and resonates the longest and loudest out of all my guitars, but it's because it is structurally built with that goal in mind.

My Boden Original 8 (top of the line out of their normal lineup) had pretty bad sustain when I first got it, and also atrocious fretwork. I had the frets leveled and crowned shortly after getting it, and suddenly it started sustaining well.

Strandberg's QC is just legendarily awful, as everyone else has mentioned already. Maybe "inconsistent" is the better term, rather than "bad". I am pretty certain that QC is the same for their Essential line all the way up to their Original line. They justify the higher price with simple spec bumps that are purely aesthetic. Their J.Artisan stuff has got to be a totally different animal, though, given they are Sugi built.

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If the divots are really bad, I'd think you might need to do a full fret level since the string rests on the zero fret.
I think a new zero fret or even replacing it with a (height adjustable) nut would be easier than a full fret level

Dayn

Reaction score
That would've been one of the cheaper models. I got a Prog7 in 2018 or so for about $3,850 AU.

I really like mine. There were a couple of minor QC issues that were fixed under warranty (Ola himself express posted some screws to me, too). Sounds great, plays great, frets were perfect.

But you definitely pay a premium for the design, and the QC isn't consistent for sure.

')